Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Traditional

Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Traditional

What do you all think is the best traditional rifle to buy? I have a TC they dont make anymore. If I really get into BP I might get a new one some day. How are the Hawkens?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Traditional

The T/C Hawkins and Renegade are both excellent rifles. Other good traditional rifles which are not custom made are the Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Great Plains Rifle, Great Plains Hunter, and Traditions have some nice traditional rifles also, as does Pedersolli.

I personally like the hooked breech models because you can remove the barrel from the stock and it makes cleaning them a little easier...
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have a slew of T/C Caplocks so I guess I must really love them. However, the T/C is "reminicent" of a traditional ML. Not historically correct, but T/C rifles are very good in my vew.

If you really want traditional in my view, then you are talking Flintlock, not caplock.

I've just started getting into Flintlocks this year after almost 36 years of muzzleloadingwith a NIB T/C Hawken 50 cal and a DP 50 cal Frontier. Have only shot about 40 shots with a Flintlock and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. But they are alot of fun!

Lyman Great Plains is a nice looking, handling and shooting ML. I don't have one yet, but I likely will eventually.

Earlier this year I picked of a NIBPedersoli Frontier for really cheap and it's also a really nice rifle. I purchased the caplock and ordered a "drop-in" flint lock for it.
www.pedersoli.com

I also looks of the Caywood rifles. I am looking at ordering a French Fusil next year. www.caywoodguns.com

If you like the Hawken style and also want something more traditionally correct,take a look at:
http://www.donstith.com/

Also take a look at:
www.trackofthewolf.com They have a wide variety of rifles in traditional and also historical flavor.

Here a a bunch of ML builderscourtesy of "The Muzzleloading Forum":

Muzzleloading weapons
Adolphsen Bros Custom Muzzleloading Firearms
Austin & Halleck
Arts and Arms, Ltd.
Blue Grouse Black Powder
Cannon Mania
W.G. Shipman: Gunmaker
Blackhart Longarms
Cabin Creek
Caywood Gunmakers
Cherry's Fine Guns
Chuck Edwards Longrifles
Clear Creek Trading
Cochise Muzzleloaders
Colonial Gun Works
Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
Custom Muzzleloader Works (T. A. Brown)
Custom Muzzleloaders (birddog6)
Davide Pedersoli & C.
Early Rustic Arms
Fox Ridge Outfitters
Horst and McCann, Inc.
J Brown Gunmaker
Jim Chambers Flintlocks, Ltd
Gobbler Knob Longrifles
Loyalist Arms & Repairs
Lyman Products (all Lyman products and firearms)
Middlesex Village Trading Companie
Military Heritage
Mile Run Muzzleloaders
Muzzleloading and More
Navy Arms
North Star West
Pirates Cove Arms
Otter Creek Rifle Works
Recreating History
Ryan McNabb Longrifles
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading
The Gun Works
The Rifle Shoppe
Thompson / Center Arms

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Tahq.. are the Don Stith rifles kits or are they complete? He has some really nice rifles in there. I had never seen that sight before. That S. Hawkins would be excellent with a .62 caliber Goodoien match grade barrel on it... Would make an excellent rifle for about anything you ever wanted to hunt..

nice link thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Other than my Great American Sporting rifle (69 Caliber) made by October Country, I do like the Lyman Great Plains
Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Sometimes he has them available finished from what I understand.

I've seen a couple of his finished Hawken's and they are sweet.

What Don Stith specializes inis basically a custom in the white Hawken and then either you finish or have it finished. They are very nice IMO.
I also want one.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

In the white would not be bad as long as I do not have to do more then finish the barrel and the stock and put the lock in it.. sounds like a nice deal and the price is very reasonable..
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Hey pse-archer I picked up a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal. sidelock from http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ and absolutly love it. It really shoots a .530 roundball with a .015 patch and 90 gr. Goex 2F like a tack driver. Heck I know the rifle is more accruate than I am for sure. It is one of my favorites for sure.

Good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a .54 caliber Trade Rifle Flintlock and it is a very good shooting rifle. I shoot a .530 roundball and 90 grains of Goex 2f out of it with excellent results. I was also happy to learn it will shoot the 405 grain Powerbelts as well. I just got a box of maxiball and want to try them out in the rifle when I have time.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I have a .54 caliber Trade Rifle Flintlock and it is a very good shooting rifle. I shoot a .530 roundball and 90 grains of Goex 2f out of it with excellent results. I was also happy to learn it will shoot the 405 grain Powerbelts as well. I just got a box of maxiball and want to try them out in the rifle when I have time.
Yeah the only thing I've ever shot out of my GPR is roundballs. I should grab some maxiballs and give them a "shot".

Quick Reply: Best Traditional

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.