Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore??? >

Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore???

Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore???

I have a Remington 700 ML .50 cal.with the 209 conversion and it is a good gun, it is just a pain to clean, I am thinking about selling it and buying an Encore .50 cal.I have wanted an Encore for a while and I can think of a few barrels I would want for it. How accurate are the Encore ML and are they as easy to clean as they say they are?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-16-2005, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore???

I started with a Rem700ml shot it for a couple of seasons, I didnt find itthat badto clean, it shots 2 pyrodexpellets and a 300 sst in a 4-6 inch circle at 75 yards, I bought an Encore, to me taking the barrel off to clean it, seems to be moreakward then the remington.I would suggest thefold to the side extractoron the Encore.The Encore shoots 2 pyrodex pellets and a 300 sst in a 2-3 inch circle at 75 yards, I think my Encore with a laminate thumbhole stock has better balance and feel thenthe 700ml. I hunt with the encore and my 700ml is resting in my gun safe. Just my 2 cents..
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently bought the Encore and it's not as easy to clean as the Omega. The Omega gives easier access to the breech plug and there is no need to take the gun apart.

With the Encore you do have to take the gun apart to get the breech plug out for cleaning.

However, I just found this at (http://www.gunaccessories.com/thomps...entNipples.asp) it's called the EZ Tip Extractor. I just ordered it myself. This will keep you from having to completely take the gun apart to clean the breech plug or to remove a shot and charge.

As for accuracy, I had the gun bore-sighted at the shop and it took me just 2 groups to get it sighted in. After that I was shooting 1 and 2 inch groups at 100yds.

I use Pyrodex pellets (100gr) and the 250gr Shock Wave Sabots. At 50yds I am about 1 1/2 to 2 inches high. At 100yds I'm still about a half inch high.

I shot one group with 150gr of pellets and I was about 4 inches high at 100yds. There is a BIG difference in recoil between the 100gr & 150gr charge. Shoots much flatter, as expected, with the "magnum" charge.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Encore. I just ordered the thumbhole stock from eBay for $90.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

I have a Remington 700 ML .50 cal.with the 209 conversion and it is a good gun, it is just a pain to clean, I am thinking about selling it and buying an Encore .50 cal.I have wanted an Encore for a while and I can think of a few barrels I would want for it. How accurate are the Encore ML and are they as easy to clean as they say they are?

Thanks

Tom
Tom ... any rifle you buy will be a pain to clean. We got into this sport knowing that all rifles have to be cleaned right after shooting. Also some rifles are more of a pain to clean then others. You want a tuff one to clean, shoot a Black Diamond XR. Great shooting rifle, takes for ever to clean though.

I always look at it this way, if it takes me ten minutes more to clean rifle A then rifle B ... then it takes ten minutes more. Who cares. They all have to be cleaned. I never bought a rifle yet based on how hard it was to clean. I bought them on how well made and accurate they were for the money I was spending. Cleaning easy is just a bonus in my book.

If you are unhappy with the accuracy of the Remington or simply want to update, the Encore will be a great shooting rifle able to handle any kind of powder charge you want to throw at it. There is also the ability to change barrels that you mentioned. And it probably is easier to clean.

Personally, I'd go with an Omega... to each their own.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Among many ML's, I also have a older walnut stock Rem700 with #11 cap ignition and it's an excellent shooting ML. I would not trade nor sell it as it's an excellent shooting ML.

It is a bit more detailed to clean but only a few more minutes than an Encore.

I'm not trying to talk you into keeping the Rem700 or getting an Encore. That's up to you.

I can detail clean the Rem700 (including the bolt and firing pinmechanism which is critically important) in about 30 minutes. Which is only about 10 minutes longer than it takes me to detail clean an Encore.

What powder are you shooting?
Black Powder and Pyrodex are the most fouling.
777 is less fouling.
Black Mag'3, APP and Goex Pinnacle (Still APP) are very clean.

Remington Kleenbore Primers are the cleanest I've shot.

If you switched your powder and primerto a clean version, I think you would likely find a new appreciation for the Rem700.

I take my Rem700 out each year during at least one day hunting and certainly at the range.

My suggestion would be to keep the Rem700 for now and switch to a cleaner propellant. And then if you are still wanting something different, keep the Rem700 and buy something different. That way you have a backup ML or an extra in case you wish to invite someone along.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gundigest

YEP! i really think you should, especially if it is in really good shape.

I own two of them and would be happy to acquire a third if the price were right. They are really accurate and they will shoot just about anything you can down the barrel. They are well made and yes they have a couple of quirks but you can work around them. The barrels are American made the old fashion way and they a consistent from gun to gun.

If you are shooting 209's using a Remington conversion you can alleviate some of the mess by switching to the Canadian conversion sild by Cabelas. It is a lot cleaner and much more functional in my estimation.

Some people consider the bolt and the Walker trigger a problem. If you have the right tools the bolt is a piece of cake to clean and if the trigger is set correctly it will not cause you a problem...

Good luck in what ever choice you make...

p.s. - I would keep her

Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM

I bought an encore a couple weeks ago and I really like the gun. 125 yards with 100 grains triple 7 i'm shooting in a 1" circle. The gun is really easy to clean it takes about 15mins. I recommend the EZ extractor, this will take about 10mins off the cleaning time.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

I was using pyrodex but I recently went to the tripple 7. I like the gun and it is accurate, I am really looking for an excuse to buy an encore. My 700 is blued and I would be getting a stainless encore. I can get a new stainless synthetic .50 cal for $522 out the door. I would like $250 for the 700 but I don't know if I can get it.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own an encore, and yes the omega's are easier to clean, unless you get the eztip extractor for your encore, then you're good. I can get a 1" group at 100 yds shooting barnes expander mz bulletts seated on top of 150 grains of triple 7, and get 2" groups shooting t/c shockwaves on top of 150 grns triple 7. The muzzleloader shoots awesome. I've killed a few does at 200 yds. The shockwaves, are better for longrange shooting. Let me tell you, I don't ever use anything to gun hunt with other than my encore, except for when I go to wyoming, then I take the .270 wsm. Other than that I gun hunt exclusively with the encore. I LOVE THE GUN!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys you dont need an ez extractor for your Encore. Just take the extractor off. It is very easy to grab the primer or put it on with out it, If you have gloves on just get one of the plastic pen like primer holders, it'll also grab a spent primer. That way you can just losen the breach plug and clean the barrel. Its just as easy to clean as the Omega that way. They are both tons better then that Remington to clean. The Omega is great but doesnt cost that much less than the Encore and isnt any more accurate. And the obvious you can use the dif barrels with the Encore.

Mine is very accurate < or=1" groups at 100.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 700ML for and Encore???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.