HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Which ML to buy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/121058-ml-buy.html)

UFunny2 11-14-2005 02:59 PM

Which ML to buy

Hello All,

This is a tough question to post, because I'm sure I'll get several different answers....and each will be considered, so please answer away!

My sister-in-law wants to buy her husband a ML for an early Christmas present and cost in no concern. He's the type of person who always wants the best and usually gets it. Also, he believes one tool built specifically for one job, so I don't thing an Encore would be a good choice. I have a Thumbhole Omega and love it and would highly recommend it, but what's better out there? It would be used from whitetail to elk.

If you could follow up with "why", I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

cayugad 11-14-2005 04:25 PM

RE: Which ML to buy

That's a hard question. Any of the name brand manufacturer's top of the line rifles would be a good choice. Knight- Revolution, Master Hunter Disc Elite. Thompson Center with the Omega. Savage with the ML10. Another question is where would most of this hunting be taking place. If he is going to elk hunt in Colorado I think they restrict the kind of projectiles, igntions, etc.. then a White Super 91 might be a good choice. Whites are one of the best conical shooting muzzleloaders on the market and well built. The trouble with White is you never know how the company is doing.

I agree that the Encore might not be the best choice if he wanted just a muzzleloader, but it is hard to beat their accuracy also. I personally think the Omega is a better choice.

If I were forced to pick it would be a Stainless Steel, Omega with a thumbhole stock. I base this on the Thompson Center reputation, customer service, and Omega's known track record.

If he really wanted adventure on the other hand, then tell her to get him a Thompson Center Hawkins Flintlock in .58 caliber. He could still hunt anything he wanted, but would have the added sport of the flintlock...

bradisthebest 11-14-2005 04:30 PM

I have had alot of experience with muzzleloaders. I have tested many. My favrite muzzleloader is the CVA Hunterbolt. I love this gun simply because it is the most versatle muzzleloader around. I have used the guns you have been talking about but they don't match up to the Hunterbolt. And also the Hunterbolt is 2 times cheaper and in many peoples eyes a better gun. So take a look at the Hunterbolt 50 caliber you might love it.

bradisthebest 11-14-2005 04:33 PM

Also when looking at muzzleloader projectiles look at the powerbelt bullets i find they work the best.

Tahquamenon 11-15-2005 10:54 AM

My choices in order of preferance:

Option 1
[ol][*]T/C Omega SS Laminated Thumbhole Stock (about $580)
www.tcarms.com[*]Leupold VXIII 3.5x10.40 Scope ($450) www.leupold.com[*]Leupold QR Base and Medium Rings ($65)[*]Scope mount and bore sight ($25)[*]Quality Range Rod and Accessories ($75-100)[*]Quality Sling and Case ($50-100)[*]Primers, Powder and Projectiles ($50-100) Hodgdon 777, Remington Kleenbore Primers, T/C 250gr Shockwave[/ol]
Option 2
[ol][*]Knight Master Hunter DISC Extreme SS Thumbhole Stock (about $800)
www.knightrifles.com[*]Leupold VXIII 3.5x10.40 Scope ($450)[*]Leupold QR Base and Rings ($65)[*]Scope mount and bore sight ($25)[*]Quality Range Rod and Accessories ($75-100)[*]Quality Sling and Case ($50-100)[*]Primers, Powder and Projectiles ($50-100) Hodgdon 777, Remington Kleenbore Primers, T/C 250gr Shockwave[/ol]
Option 3
[ol][*]Savage 10ML SS II (about $650)
www.savagearms.com[*]Leupold VXIII 3.5x10.40 Scope ($450)[*]Leupold QR Base and Rings ($65)[*]Scope mount and bore sight ($25)[*]Quality Range Rod and Accessories ($75-100)[*]Quality Sling and Case ($50-100)[*]Primers, Powder and Projectiles ($50-100) Hodgdon 777, Remington Kleenbore Primers, T/C 250gr Shockwave[/ol]
Option 4 (If costis really no concern)
[ol][*]Ultimate Firearms
www.ultimatefirearms.com[*]Remington 40X BP Xpress Ultra – (starting at $2700)[*]Swarovski PV-N 2,5-10x42 (about $1,600) www.swarovskioptik.at[*]Leupold QR Base and Rings ($65)[*]Scope mount and bore sight ($25)[*]Quality Range Rod and Accessories ($75-100)[*]Quality Sling and Case ($50-100)[*]Primers, Powder and Projectiles ($50-140) Hodgdon 777, Custom Primer Assembly, T/C 300gr Shockwave[/ol]
Good Luck and let us know what Santa ended up putting under the tree.

Regards,

Tahquamenon

UFunny2 11-16-2005 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wow, I can't imagine shooting 250gr of pyrodex from that Remington. I think that would blow my brother in law's shoulder right off. I'll see him Friday and let him shoot my Omega. I think that would give me a good barometer of what he would like. Thanks again...

Black Bellamy 11-16-2005 04:49 PM

nm

BS 11-16-2005 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: UFunny2

Hello All,

This is a tough question to post, because I'm sure I'll get several different answers....and each will be considered, so please answer away!

My sister-in-law wants to buy her husband a ML for an early Christmas present and cost in no concern. He's the type of person who always wants the best and usually gets it. Also, he believes one tool built specifically for one job, so I don't thing an Encore would be a good choice. I have a Thumbhole Omega and love it and would highly recommend it, but what's better out there? It would be used from whitetail to elk.

If you could follow up with "why", I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
If cost is no consern, why would you buy an inline, when you could spend up to $3000 or more on a custom longrifle! They are just so darn pretty! This is a link to a list of makers, be sure and contact [Birddog6]:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/13134/

and TOTW also has some for sale:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=12&subID=83&styleID=29 0

Heck some are even $5000 or more!

cayugad 11-16-2005 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: UFunny2

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wow, I can't imagine shooting 250gr of pyrodex from that Remington. I think that would blow my brother in law's shoulder right off. I'll see him Friday and let him shoot my Omega. I think that would give me a good barometer of what he would like. Thanks again...
I hope you mean a 250 grain projectile with a pyrodex charge. Check the powder level rating of your rifle. Most are allowed 100 grains maximum of loose powder and 150 grains in pellet form. Never shoot more then that or what your rifle manufacturer recommends as safe.

If you shot 250 grains of Pyrodex, there is a good chance more then your brother in laws shoulder would get blown off....

Sabre03 11-16-2005 05:56 PM

I would highly recommend the Omega I have the laminated thumbholestock sst barrel. I love this gun, very fun to shoot and easy to clean. I had problems finding a good bullet powder combo, but once I found one it shoots awesome. its my favorite gun