Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which ML to buy

Old 11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which ML to buy

Rather than looking at the species to be hunted, I would look at the PLACES to be hunted. As was stated earlier, some states only allow certain weapons. I know NV doesn't allow scopes during ML season, peep or open sights only. Idaho has some "traditional muzzleloaders only" seasons that don't allow scopes or saboted bullets, only patched round balls or full bore conicals. I think Colorado has some restrictions also on scopes and ignitions, not sure, but definately check.

If none of the above apply, then follow any of the suggestions so far. I shoot a sidelock, so have no experience with inlines. My next sidelock is going to be one of the ones that Cabelas markets in .50 caliber.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad....Tahquamenon suggested the Remington BP Xpress Ultra on ultimatefirearms.com. On that site it reads "It's the only muzzleloading rifle on the market that can be fired and burn 250 grains of Pyrodex pellet (five 50 grain pellets)"

I don't think I would have the nerve to shoot that much powder (nor the need to), but if someone else wanted to...I'd watch. At least it comes with a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad!

Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 PM

Well if it's not to late and she want's a decent ML for a great price, check out the Knight Elite 50's at http://www.sportsmansguide.comshe'll need to use the search function with the catalog number of LX5P-92337 then it will bring up the Elite's, $249 for a synthetic/stainless ML. It's still selling at other sites in the mid $400's. Just recieved mine this afternoon.

And if a scope is needed, the Knight mentioned doesn't have iron sights, I picked up a matching Simmons Aetec scope over at http://www.natchezss.com for $99, they have the 44 Mags for $59.

But if money is no object, Nevermind. Just looking forward to shooting the new Knight!

Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UFunny2

Hello All,

This is a tough question to post, because I'm sure I'll get several different answers....and each will be considered, so please answer away!

My sister-in-law wants to buy her husband a ML for an early Christmas present and cost in no concern. He's the type of person who always wants the best and usually gets it. Also, he believes one tool built specifically for one job, so I don't thing an Encore would be a good choice. I have a Thumbhole Omega and love it and would highly recommend it, but what's better out there? It would be used from whitetail to elk.

If you could follow up with "why", I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
It's really an easy decision.

If he wants to shoot ML/blackpowder-only..... Omega

If he wants to shoot smokeless & blackpowder..... Savage ML-10

If he wants to shoot centerfire & muzzleloader ..... Encore
Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for their input. Today, my sister-in-law put in the order through BPS. A .50 thumbhole Omega, Leopold VXII 2-7x33 scope, rings/base and ALL the accessories totaling just over $1k. I told her to get the powder, primers and sabots locally. If he enjoys it half as much as I do mine, there won't be any returns. I think I missed my calling as a "personal shopper". It's fun to spend other peoples money. Next week starts the late ML season here and the express shipping guarantees to be here. Good luck all....