HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/120620-leaving-your-muzzy-loaded-how-long.html)

elknut1 11-10-2005 09:24 PM

Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

I just bought a new Knight .50 cal. I was told that once you load it, pellets & slug, I can't leave it in the barrel more than 48hrs or it will start corroding the insides because of the pellets. Is this true? I'd think you could leave it in longer?

Too, it was recommended I use two 50grn pellets and a 348grn slug, how adjustable is this combo? I'm looking to be effective to 125yds or so.

Thanks / ElkNut1

cayugad 11-10-2005 09:32 PM

RE: Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

as long as the rifle has not been fired, there is no fear of the rifle rusting. The rifle starts to rust if you were to shoot the rifle, reload it, and then not want to pull that charge.

As for the load your shooting, you would have to try it at the different ranges. Also you have to try different loads if this does not work for you. Good luck with your rifle.

elknut1 11-10-2005 09:39 PM

Thanks! So how long can I leave it with a charge in it?? 3-5 days, or longer if it's in a cleaned barrel?

Too, it was mentioned never to bring the ML into the house at night if I was planning on using it within the next couple of days, of course this is if I'd been hunting that day. They said to leave it outside in the vehicle.

Are these things that tempremental?
ElkNut1

cayugad 11-10-2005 10:27 PM

You can leave it loaded as long as you like. Of course you take a chance of the powder charge getting contaminated after a period of time.

As for temperature differences, try and keep them to a minimum. If you hunt where it is cold, do not bring the rifle into a warm house or car. The barrel will condense moisture and that in turn will kill or damage the charge. Leave it in the garage with the muzzle end down on some soft cloth so that if it does condense any moisture it will go away from the charge.

I personally shoot the rifle off every night and start the next day on a clean barrel. In your case, you could pull the charge through the breech plug and wipe the barrel clean and then reload it the next day if you wished.

Paul L Mohr 11-10-2005 11:48 PM

I tested mine out last year by leaving it loaded for 4 months. Put a cap in it and it fired right off:D.

Like said above, try to keep the barrel from condensating and I think you will be ok. I leave mine loaded all season until I shoot something (two weeks max, but I usually shoot something in the first three days). Half the time I just leave the thing in the blind and lock it when I leave if I am coming back the next day or later that day.

Check your local regs as well. In MI it is not considered loaded unless there is a cap in it. However it is still a danger and should be treated that way. With pellets you could probably just pull the breach plug and dump them out the back. As long as you don't crush them when you load it. Then push the bullet back out the front.

Paul

elknut1 11-11-2005 07:00 AM

Thanks Guys!! That's the info I was looking for!! I was only interested in leaving a charge in it for a few days at a time if I wanted to, it's nice to have the option!

Great tip about turning the barrel down on a cloth!!
Thanks / ElkNut1

sabotloader 11-11-2005 08:18 AM

elknut1

As i look at mine in here, I am thinking it has been loaded for about 3 weeks now... I only have two concerns when it comes to leaving the loaded (de-capped mind you) - SAFETY & CONTAMINATION... The most important thing is SAFETY is it safe -will somebody forget or pick it up - what ever be safe...

2nd - Contamination - there are a lot of ways to contaminate a load. If any of those ways are possible dump the load and start fresh. If I have been hunting in bad weather I will probably dump the load. If it is stored in really humid or damp weather I will dump the load. If I were using a breech plug greese that over a period of time could contaminate the load I would dump the load. If I were loading a conical or a patch with Bore Butter or any moisture I would dump the load. REMEMBER all substitutes are very prone to collecting moisture.

Your too....

Too, it was recommended I use two 50grn pellets and a 348grn slug, how adjustable is this combo? I'm looking to be effective to 125yds or so.
If you are just starting out, the pellet/powerbelt combination may well be the bet... But you will find a whole lot of better combinations as time goes - depending on how addicted you get to your ML. In my case I am way overboard - pellets and powerbelts went by the way side along time ago. Ask Cayugad about some of his good rules when using powerbelts and or even pellets, he is far more diplomatic than I can be.

Just the thoughts of an old guy...

powderburns 11-11-2005 06:30 PM

I've left mine loaded for 6 days, fired alright.

powderburns 11-11-2005 06:47 PM

Whoops, almost forgot. With my knightI find using 2-50gr pyrodex pellets with 240 gr knight JHP's sighted in at 2-2.5 inches high @ 50 yards, I can reach out to 140 yards . Iknow, as i paced it off on a buck I shot. Altho, Iknowingly wouldn;ttry it again. It was just a little too far. Out to 125 yards I'm comfortable with this combination.

skeeter 7MM 11-11-2005 10:18 PM

Dry weather your fine to leave it charged for a few days if unfired. Any moisture or poor weather I'd dump the load. With pellets it easy to drop the load out the breech and run a quick swab, then reload..so either way it's not a big annoyance.

As far as the load for 125 yardsit will have no problems. Wether it is the most effecient in your ML only shooting it & time will tell.

Another tip,if youexpect to hunt in moist conditions (be it snow, rain, etc) make sure you cover your barrel, this will help weatherproof your powder. You can use finger cotts, condomns, muzzle mitts, plastic wrap with a rubber band, balloons or my cure electrical tape to cover your barrel. As long as the material is on the outside their is no worry about safety or POI shifting...the gas will blow the substance long before the bullet reaches it!