HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   CVA Wolf this year or wait... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/120395-cva-wolf-year-wait.html)

cayugad 11-11-2005 03:48 PM

RE: CVA Wolf this year or wait...

missed another..

I used the same arguement in the past when this issue was brought up. I've also said to combat this arguement, shoot according to the manual and you should be all right. Now personally, I have doubts. And for that reason I will not tell someone to purchase a BPI product.

That does not mean BPI does not make a good shooting rifle. All it means is due to the recent additional incident, I just can not in good faith recommend a BPI rifle to someone anymore. If I did that and they purchased a rifle on my opinion, which is all it is, and that rifle ended up hurting them or someone else. I would feel terrible.

And your right, the chances of a BPI rifle blowing a barrel and injuring someone are slim. That's one reason I keep shooting mine. Although I have restricted my loads to it. I hope other shooters seriously look at some of the loads they push through their rifles. I sometimes wish magnum rifles were never thought of. Life was so simple with the old traditional rifles. A roundball, patch and powder...

The poster, MichaelH asked why I had changed my opinion of the rifle. I felt he deserved an answer from me. I just lost my trust in them. Thereare some NEF Sidekicks out there and other good name brands for very reasonable prices. I'm not telling anyone to NOT buy a BPI rifle. I just will not recommend one anymore.

As for the liability for some manufacturer to knowingly sell a product they know to be defective, it would be enough to bankrupt andclose the company down. About like the Apollo did to CVA years back.

missed_another 11-11-2005 04:32 PM

cayugad... i highly respect your opinions and advice. i just believe there are two sides to every story.:)

MichaelH 11-11-2005 10:34 PM

Cayugad,
Thanks for some more clarity about your opinion. Since I shoot 80 grains, I feel good about shooting the gun and do keep the BPI barrel issue in the back of my mind. I am using Tiple Seven, FFG and learned first hand about the inevidable crud ring everyone speaks of. Sure glad it cleans easy.
My first five shots were with the Great Plain 385s. To my surprise, they almost fell down the barrell. I wasn't too crazy about that and their pattern didn't seem promissing. I then switched to some 240g T/C Cheapshots, which I was quite pleased how they patterned and how they slid down the barrell (Not to mention $4 for 20!) I also bought some 250g Shockwaves and some 295g Powerebelts, but I was running out of daylight and only shot one Powerbelt so I'm not sure how they pattern, but it definately felt like a perfect fit going down. I'll be quite honest, my shooting will be typically within 50 yds and no further than 100. Those Cheapshots will do just fine at my typical range. I kind of like the fact that it's just one chunk of lead that should mushroom well.

Mike

cayugad 11-11-2005 10:45 PM

There was a fellow I talked to that shot a deer at over 200 yards with Cheap Shots. He said the deer ran about 50 yards, but the blood trail was so easy to follow, a kid could have tracked it.

I personally like Cheap Shots. If you look at the design of them, they are pure lead and hollow point. They shoot almost the same POI as a 240 grain XTP and for the kind of shooting your talking about, I will bet they will do just fine with 80 grains of Triple Se7en.

Good luck with your rifle, and keep us posted....

edggy 11-13-2005 01:48 PM

(Angry Beaver) There's Nothing Wrong with buying The CVA wolf rifle.
Its just as good as any other weapon. Yes later on you might want to
upgrade. Read how many of this guys are having trouble with the omaga.

hillbilly17 11-14-2005 09:31 AM

Rack Buck

[align=center][/align]
I was in the same situation this year being my first yearwith a Muzzleloader. I bought the CVA wolf 209 with a tascam scope for 179.00. I swear by it now. I could open a pepsi bottle from 125 yards with this thing. Muzzleloader had been open for a week and I have 6 Doe and 1 buck already. I am super impressed with this riffle for the money! It is a great riffle.

Tahquamenon 11-14-2005 10:35 AM

If you are really on a shoe-string budget, look to the CVA Bobcat 50 Cal.
Here is a link to a free manual:
http://www.cva.com/warranty/Side.pdf

You can often find them new for well under $100. You can likely have everything you need for under or about $100: Rifle, your caps, powder (Hodgdon 777 2FG), .015" Lubed Patches and .490" Round Ball. (or you can shoot a conical with the Bobcat).

Just remember, don't load them up for magnum. Follow the loading guidelines and don't get crazy. About 85gr 2FG 777 will be your max load.
A friend of mine's son carries the Bobcat with 65gr 777 2FG anda PRB (Patch and Roundball)and has taken two doe with that arrangement.

The little Bobcat is a great entry level ML.

Plus, you already know that you would rather something else, so don't spend any more than you need to to get you in the woods this season.

Or, take a look at the gun shops in your area and see if you can find something else usedfor about $100 that you like. You never know, you might be able to find something really nice for about a C-note just sleeping in a gun shop. Just be careful. Many used ML's in the low price range are priced as such because they were neglected. Use a drop-in style bore light to inspect the bore of a used ML. It's the only way to see how an ML was (or was not) cared for. If something looks neglected and you are unsure, pass on the deal.

Good luck.

cayugad 11-14-2005 11:20 AM

An interesting little note: I have been reading a pamphlet HODGDON - basic muzzleloading manual which is published by Hodgdon's of course (it was mailed to me free with a bullet order I made). In it they discuss different projectiles and their fps speed with different loads of Triple Se7en & Pyrodex pellets, and loose powderform. They also go into the fff grades of powders for some of the sabots, roundball, and conicals they discuss.

Where it discusses their Maximum Load Warnings... I will quote their advice;

"The maximum load per shot should never exceed total Pellets containing more than 100 grains volume equivalent. That means, no more then:

45 Caliber 1) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets
2) Three (3) 44/45 caliber 30 grain
50 Caliber 1)Three (3) 30 grain Pellets, or
2)Two (2) 50 grain Pellets, or
3) One (1) 50 grain Pellet and one (1) 30 grain Pellet"

This kind of shifts the liability of a 150 grain magnum load back to the manufacturer in many cases who then shift the problem to us by stating such as, although the rifle can accept a magnum load of 150 grains they warn us not to exceed the recommendations of the powder maker.... Which means shoot them magnum loads at your own risk people. The powder maker does not recommend anything over 100 grains. In fact only the .54 caliber is rated to 120 grains of powder.

In all the ballistics data they state, they never tell what the projectile will do with more then 100 grains of FFg or FFFg powder. It is a handy little book as a quick reference (if you do not shoot more then 100 grains of Triple Se7en or Pyrodex in pellet or loose form) and they also get into pistol loads....

I just found that information interesting and thought I would throw that out there....

Tahquamenon 11-14-2005 12:50 PM

I have that nifty little manual as well. Free from Hodgdon if you ask.

Also when considering Hodgdon 777, you need to reduce your Volume BP loading data by 15%.

Thus,if 100 grains 2FG Black Powder is your maximum then your 777 2FG maximum becomes 85 Grains and so on.

charlie brown 11-14-2005 04:01 PM

I shoot a CVA Bobcat. I have the Manual, and they will not warranty any firearms that have had oversized bullets, bullets weighing more than 400 grains, or more than 100 grains of Pydrodex or Black powder by volume shot through them. I shoot a 370 grain T/C Maxi Ball and 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. I killed a cow elk at 90 yards this year. If you want a good entry level ML, this would be one to check out!!