Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzle mitts

Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Default muzzle mitts

I've heard youguys say you use them when you're in the field, so I picked some up. Now I've got a couple of questions for you. Can you shoot through them, or do you take them off before you shoot? Do you always put one on or only when there is a chance of moisture in the air?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: muzzle mitts

Shoot through them. I have taped my barrel on my ML and CF for years regardless of the weather, as it keeps any debris out of the bore. Mind you electrical tape is dirt cheap...never used muzzle mitts,etc.

Your call!! I would have a couple in your pocket in case the weather changes!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:35 AM

I always use finger cots if there's a chance the weather will be bad. Shoot right thru them and they last a long time and no residue from tape. Just my $.02.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: smokeater639

I've heard youguys say you use them when you're in the field, so I picked some up. Now I've got a couple of questions for you. Can you shoot through them, or do you take them off before you shoot? Do you always put one on or only when there is a chance of moisture in the air?

Thanks for the help
I used to use Muzzle Mitts but thought they were way over priced at about $.40/each...switched to 'finger cots' from any drugstore...dirt cheap...and I put one one every time I load a rifle, regardless of the weather.

From what I've read, the compressed air from the projectile coming up the bore actually bursts or blows off the finger cot, and that makes sensebut I don't know first hand of course.

When I first decided to try them years ago,I tested a half dozen shots at the rangeand never saw any difference what-so-ever with a finger cot in place.....shot deer with them in place ever sincewith no problemseither.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:42 AM
Spike

Default Leave them on when you shoot

These are blown clear/out before the bullet leaves the barrel. This is caused by the compression of air in the barrel as the bullet travels out.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

another 16 year old thread here?? LOL
Old 02-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
another 16 year old thread here?? LOL
Well, some members weren't here 16 years ago so its nice to bring an old one up once in a while. I keep imagining finger cots on the muzzle. I'd like to see a slo mo video of shooting a muzzy or any rifle with one on!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well, some members weren't here 16 years ago so its nice to bring an old one up once in a while. I keep imagining finger cots on the muzzle. I'd like to see a slo mo video of shooting a muzzy or any rifle with one on!
the issue I have is, most of these old threads are being brought up by folks that could care less, new one time posting members or few posts and gone!

there just trying to generate posts on the site!
like a spam type deal

and then you have issue's of the members that started many of these OLD threads are LONG gone, so its wasting time asking them for info on the topic and results or??

if a member really wants CURRENT info, and a LOT of things can change in 16 yrs?
the better plan is start a NEW Thread and get current help advice, info, from current members !

personally I think these old threads should be locked closed,
read if you like, get what ever info is there and start a new one if you have more questions, all the more so when some have many pages of OLD replies and many members if not most are NOT on site any more!

NOW I'll add some more recent info
a few yrs back Outdoor life did a whole write up on shooting thru muzzle protection, from special muzzle like condoms,(LOL) to using electrical tape
and then with NONE at all
and they did a pretty good accuracy test with things
and the results were, shooting thru electrical tape actually made EVERY rifle in the test shoot a smaller group, than with out it on the bore!
not a HUGE difference, but it proved it didn;t make anything worse and actually made things better on group sizes!
so for those that always thought it would effect accuracy, well it did, it made it better!
NOW this was on center fire rifles
NOT muzzleloaders
IMO, a muzzleloader would benefit from keeping weather out, but it might also cause excessive moisture to STAY in the barrel , possibly effecting power dampness
as having a open bore, allows things to breath better
all the more so if a rifle is carried LOADED and covered bore from a hot/warm home into a COLD outside and repeated, with condensation possible inside the bore and no air to help it dry faster!
JUST my opinion here, , as NEVER seen any testing done on them! or even read about anyone thinking of testing this way!

to keep rain and snow out, YES I would have have done, but I don;t take my guns inside loaded and into different temp rooms?

Old 02-07-2021, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

If we locked old threads half of your new posts would go away, you comment on every one that pops up.

I don't mind the old threads, I never have. Especially when it brings up posters that have passed away or been MIA for a while. They really drive some people crazy though.

I agree- posting a new thread will bring newer(not always better) information. And positing a new thread is the best way to get results.

-Jake
Old 02-07-2021, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
If we locked old threads half of your new posts would go away, you comment on every one that pops up.

I don't mind the old threads, I never have. Especially when it brings up posters that have passed away or been MIA for a while. They really drive some people crazy though.

I agree- posting a new thread will bring newer(not always better) information. And positing a new thread is the best way to get results.

-Jake
I tend to point out threads are old so new members that maybe didn;t know it do?

but there is a very new era of spammers that are again, reviving old threads in the interest of just getting more posts on sites and care less about what the thread is about
this is why they open OLD threads
its about getting views on sites for add's
not adding any info

and why again, old threads should have a time frame before becoming locked out IMO!