Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what would you purchase money no concern >

what would you purchase money no concern

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what would you purchase money no concern

Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 PM

Default what would you purchase money no concern

i'm looking for a new muzzleloader. I own a knight disk and am very pleased with it. I like how easy it is to load the primers and unload.
My knight was bought the first year they came out, and has had a ton of lead through it.
This gun when new would make one big hole in the target after shooting 5-6 times.(very accurate)

I'm sad to say that it is no longer very accurate and I have tried a lot of things. I'll keep the gun and try to get it shooting as it has been a great gun for me untill the last 2 years, but I want a new gun now.

What would you buy, accuracy 150 grain load and I don't want to be fooling around with trying to get primers in or out between loads.

I'm thinking the t/c omega or encore.
I'm totaly open for suggestions.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what would you purchase money no concern

Either are fine choices. Personally prefer the encore, I have shot bothbut own neither.

If I were buying a new ML, I would get the Savage ML10II. The reason is I can use smokeless and the benefits are just to real to ignore. I have had the pleasure of playing with a number of inlines and by far to date this is the easiest out of the box shooting ML I have ever tried. It is extremely accurate, well made, arguably the best stock trigger(accutrigger) on ML (user friendly and clean) & true mag results (200 plus yard gun). I have had very little luck getting max loads to shoot accurately so I go with accuracy over trajectory, IME you can have both with the savage. Recoil is also non-exsistent, if that is a concern. IMO a great rifle and at least worth consideration. The savage however doesn't have the 209 placement you desire and if you can't use smokeless in reg. ML season then it become a bit ho hum.

BTW, I don't own a savage either. I actually own a Knight Disc(range gun/spare) and Rem 700MLS (hunting gun).

Best of luck
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Since money is not the object I would get one of the following;a Stainless Steel Thumbhole Stock Thompson Center Omega, Knight Disc Elite Master Hunter, Savage ML 10, or a Thompson Center Encore with a Stainless Steel Barrel. All of these would be 150 grain rifles...

If your Knight Disc was that good of shooter I wonder what happened to it? Maybe the barrel got all fowled up and it just needs a good cleaning. I could not believe that it would have gotten shot out...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

T/C Encore, thumbhole stock.
I have a stainless model and as far as I'm concerned, none better!

Great luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would vote for the T/C Encore stainless steel .50 cal, I started out with a Rem stainless muzzleloader thought I liked it, but get the Encore there is NO comparison..
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM

I would buy the savage, I have one and it shoots great, I shoot 42 grains of imr 4759 with a 250 grain barnes expander. at 100 yard I can cut my bullet holes. Last deer season, I took an 8pt at 220 yards, he never moved.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Spike

If money is no object buy both. I own both and they are the best. Easy to clean and maintain. Shoot accurate.... besides what is one more gun in the safe.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM

thank you for the inputs. I bought an Encore with a 3200 elite on it . The savage was not available here.

cayugad.... I don't believe the barrel is shot out but I do believe it is fowled. I've had this gun for over 10 years and I this problem is justifying me buying a new one. I will get it shooting well again I hope.

patchnball.... I would love to own both but I couldn't afford it. I don't have lots of money, just do a lot of hunting and like to buy what works best. I feel the gun over time is one of the least expensive parts of the
hunting trips.

anyhow, thank you for the input, I'll keep you posted how it works out for me. I can't sight it in till Friday.