Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bustin' some rabbits >

Bustin' some rabbits

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bustin' some rabbits

Old 10-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Bustin' some rabbits

Ahhh it's that time of the year. I'll be heading out on Sat. with my .32 cal. Traditions Crockett and smokin' some bunnies in the morning. I can't wait. I'll try to post some pics later. Yum!!!!!! My mouth is watering already.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bustin' some rabbits

Good luck with the rabbits. One of my favorite things to eat. We like to put them in a crock pot and cook them slow with lots of vegetables... Plus they are a lot of fun to hunt. Do you use a dog? We used to have a beagle many years ago, and she was one rabbit chasing fool. She was more fun to watch sometimes then the hunt. Now I wait for deep snow and wear snow shoes and walk them down and shoot them with a black powder revolver....
Old 10-21-2005, 07:31 PM

No I don't use a dog. I have a female husky/malamute mix. She is beautiful, but scared to death of the rifles. I think there will be some snow in the shady areas as we will be just above 9000 ft. here in the Colorado mountains. I love huntin' them bunnies in the snow. Here's a picture of Tazz (my dog).

I put them in a crock pot with some nacho cheese soup and some rice and even cut up a polish sausage and add it to the mix. Boy is it delicious.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That dog is beautifull.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like a really good way to make them. I will have to give that a try.

Also, that is a beautiful dog.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:57 AM

Here's the actual recipie. I'm going to leave out the chicken broth because it makes it a bit watery. After this is all done cooking I put it over a bed of rice. It is delicious.

1 tablespoon olive oil,4 garlic cloves crushed,1/2 cup chopped onion,2 cans cream of chicken soup (no water),1 can cheese soup (no water),½ can of chicken broth low sodium,3 Italian sausage links (Optional, depends on how much rabbit meat),4 boneless chicken breast halves (or rabbit), Lemon pepper to taste,1 teaspoon Italian seasoning,red pepper flakes, to taste, optional Heat oil in skillet. Saute onion and garlic until light brown. Slice sausages in 1-inch pieces. Add sausage and rabbit Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

I use rabbit insted of the chicken breast of course. Enjoy
Old 10-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had thought about hunting rabbits this fall (cottontails) with my .50, but have since decided against it. I shot a jackrabbit before elk season to get a "confidence kill." Well, needless to say, that was a mess. That was even with a minimum charge and a round ball!! I will just use my shotgun this year, and try and pick up a .32 or .36 for next year. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I've hunted them with a .54 caliber and roundball. Aim for the back end of their nose. You just clip the head that way or miss. Or you can shoot them dead center in the middle of the body. You still get the four legs and thighs to eat that way.

With my .44 caliber revolver I shoot for the head but in all honesty don't hit too many of them. That's all right, then I don't have to clean them. When they're running is when it gets exciting with the revolver...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Hey Cayugad do you use a .44 cal cap and ball blackpowder revolver or a regular modern pistol?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:37 PM

Hey Charlie brown I just wanted to let you know I was hunting with my .50cal CVA Bobcat for rabbit last year when my .32 was getting repaired and I was using 25gr. of FF Goex powder with a patched round ball. It's great with a head shot, but hit the hind quarters and it's all over. I took quite a few with the .50 cal.

Quick Reply: Bustin' some rabbits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.