HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Storage clean or regular clean (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/117645-storage-clean-regular-clean.html)

DannyD 10-21-2005 07:08 AM

Storage clean or regular clean

When I finally get my new Omega sighted in and practice with it for a month, i'll want to then leave it for2-3 weeks until ML season.

At that point, knowing that it will be sitting for 2-3 weeks do i do a regular "after range" cleaning or a "storage" type cleaning.

How long would you say i can leave the gun sit before i consider it for a storage tye of cleaning?

cayugad 10-21-2005 07:43 AM

RE: Storage clean or regular clean

With me there is no difference. After a range session, even if I were going to use it the next day, or store it for a year, they are always cleaned the same. I clean every part of the rifle just like it was going into storage. There is no middle of the road cleaning for me.

Tahquamenon 10-21-2005 11:19 AM

If you want your ML looking and functioning well a year or more from now...

Detail clean and lube after every firing at the end of the day. Even if only one shot. Even if you are going out again the next morning.

I've worked on too many ML's over the years that were only fired once and that were meant to be cleaned, but then never were and now are a rust bucket.

My .02

Tahquamenon

DannyD 10-21-2005 01:13 PM

Thanks guys,
I still have to get out of the centerfire mindset. Once I site in my 30-30 and 270 I clean it, take 2 shots to verify zero and only shoot it again at a deer until the 2 weeks season is over.
I'm learning. Thanks to you guys.

BTW. I watched the DVD that came with the Omega. It says to use the Bore butter. Based on what I read here and a few other articles by a guy named Randy Wakeman I'm not using it.

roundball 10-21-2005 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Thanks guys,
I still have to get out of the centerfire mindset. Once I site in my 30-30 and 270 I clean it, take 2 shots to verify zero and only shoot it again at a deer until the 2 weeks season is over.
I'm learning. Thanks to you guys.

BTW. I watched the DVD that came with the Omega. It says to use the Bore butter. Based on what I read here and a few other articles by a guy named Randy Wakeman I'm not using it.
FYI...it's always good tofreflectonthe motivation of some people who write/publish opinions on products.

FWIW, TC Natural Lube 1000 (bore butter) is the only lube I've ever allowed in the bores of mymuzzleloaders...used it with a dozen and a half rifles over the past 15 years...inlines, caplocks, and flintlocks...they've always remained in likenew condition.

Not trying to convince you to use bore butter, but wanted you to know the facts...there is absolutelynothing wrong with the bore butter productwhat-so-ever...and I'm not getting paid to say that.
:D

cayugad 10-21-2005 05:11 PM

Roundball has great luck with using Bore Butter as do a few others. He is very regimented in the way he prepares his rifle and treats it. I can admire that some one would be willing to do all of that. And I am sure that is why it works well for him.

I had some bad experiences with Bore Butter as did a couple of my friends. For those reasons I use a high quality gun oil. I am testing one rifle again with bore butter and so far it is behaving well. For how long, we will see. The whole point is, in modern rifles, it is top quality steel in the barrels. There is not reason I can see for seasoning it with bore butter. I would rather make sure it is very clean after being used and then protected with a quality gun oil. Each shooter has to make their own decision on how they want to treat their rifles..

I like Birchwood Casey Sheath and Rem Oil as my favorite oils. I also use Breakfree CLP and it seems to work good too...