Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hard to load

Old 10-19-2005, 07:06 PM

Default hard to load

I purchased a new CVA Kodiak May .50 cal and I can't get anything down the barrel except a powerbelt bullet. CVA tells me I should only use power belts, but I like shooting 250gr SST's in my other gun. Is there someone out there who knows how to fix the problem? I can get the SST's down the barrel, but it's extremely difficult. Would using a .44 cal bullet and sabot work any better than the .45 cal that I'm now using? [:'(]
Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hard to load

Of course they are going to tell you that all they shoot are powerbelts. They sell powerbelts. You might want to look for some bullets that are .429 or .451 diameter. They might load a little easier. Look at some Speer and I think some of the Hornady pistol bullets are smaller.

It sounds like you have a tight bore. Good luck with your rifle. And be safe.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.claybusterwads.com/harvester.html
Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Yea, "Shoot Only PowerBelts" is CVA-Speak for "Buy our bullets".

I am a huge fan of SST's as well.

You might find that simply a super cleaning of the bore with a quality solvent/brushing and patches, followed by some conical shooting will do the trick and begin breaking in the bore.

I've not tried the Harvester Crush Rib's, so I have no idea if they do what they claim.

TripleSe7en, have you tried them?

If you have a older package of the Hornady SST's, they have changed (when I don't actually know)the sabot's to a thinner pedal version which are easier to load.

A .429/.430" projectile and sabot should be easier to load on average. Unfortunately, they only way to know is to buy & try them. The Hornady XTP .430" bullet is excellent. I've killed more deer with 240 & 300 grain versions of the XTP than I have with any other sabot'ed projectile.

Good luck!

Tahquamenon

Old 10-21-2005, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try the 250 ShockWaves, they are the same bullet with a different (thiner) sabot. I tried the SST's and found them difficult to load, the ShockWave's load a lot easier and shoot just as well.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Try the 250 ShockWaves, they are the same bullet with a different (thiner) sabot. I tried the SST's and found them difficult to load, the ShockWave's load a lot easier and shoot just as well.

Good luck.
I have the exact same problem but reversed.SST's load ok in my Omega,but I have to change sabots to load the Shockwaves.The only Shockwaves that fit ok are the 200gr .400's that come with MMP blue sabots. All barrels are different.You just have to buy bullets and try them or get with your shooting buddies and swap with them.Anyway you look at it you get to do a lot of shooting,which ain't a bad thing.

Charlie