Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lymans Great Plains Rifle questions >

Lymans Great Plains Rifle questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lymans Great Plains Rifle questions

Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lymans Great Plains Rifle questions

I posted this in the guns forum and probably should have put it here first. Sorry, mods.

I recently came into posession of an old muzzleloader that is stamped Lymans Great Plains Rifle. Its a right-handed percussion model in 54 caliber. I know it is a reproduction, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me more details about it? How old it might be? What load I should try with it (I shoot 80 grains with my 50 cal. but I've never shot a 54). What kind of performance could I expect compared to a 50 cal, ect. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lymans Great Plains Rifle questions

Made by Interarms (I believe that is the right name) which is a very good Italian firearm manufacturer (I know it is Italian and I know it is a good manufacturer). It is a great rifle. If you do not want it let me know and I will take it off your hands for a couple hundred dollars. Seriously it is a good rifle. It will shoot patched round balls well and in .54 cal you will not need much else as a .54cal round ball will take an elk if you put it in the right place. I would start at about 65gr. of powder and work up to maybe 85 gr. depending on what you want to accomplish. I think you can get an owners guide from Lyman if you contact them. I don't have one but have a sister rifle Lyman Trade rifle in flintlock in the mail to me as we speak.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

SCRIDER1,
I do not know when Investarms started producing the Great Plains Rifle, but I'm sure if you called their customer service center they'd be able to help you. They'd need the serial # off the rifle. call 1-800-22-LYMAN
The max. load for your .54ca. rifle w/FFg is 120grs.w/FFFg 100grs is max.
This is a round ball gun 1-60" twist. Not saying that you couldn't shoot conicals out of it, but it shouldn't be as accurate using them with the slow rate of twist.
Your rifle will determine what load it likes best. I'd start at 80grs. and work my way up. I'd experiment with the different powders available today too. It's half the fun working up a load.
You will have more energy with the .54 over the .50 shooting round balls.
I have the .50cal. Great Plains rifle and my best load so far with it is, 65grs. of Triple 7 FFg with wonder wad, .015" patch, 495 round ball.
Enjoy and good luck this season. Let us know what you come up with for a load.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

SCRIDER1,
I was probably wrong on the rate of twist for an older Great Plains Rifle. It's probably 1-66" Also I found that Lyman started producing the Great Plains Rifle in 1980 by researching my gun digest.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SCRIDER1

I posted this in the guns forum and probably should have put it here first. Sorry, mods.

I recently came into posession of an old muzzleloader that is stamped Lymans Great Plains Rifle. Its a right-handed percussion model in 54 caliber. I know it is a reproduction, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me more details about it? How old it might be? What load I should try with it (I shoot 80 grains with my 50 cal. but I've never shot a 54). What kind of performance could I expect compared to a 50 cal, ect. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Lyman rifle company is a very well established rifle company and is a subsidiary of Investarms. Investarms is the same people that make Cabela's Hawkins rifle. They are a very good quality rifle.

Depending on how old the rifle is... the real old ones had a 1-66 twist barrel, but a few years ago they went to a 1-60 twist barrel. With the twist they have you will find they shoot a very accurate roundball. The manual for them says a .535 ball and .015 patch. You might find that a little tight to load. I shoot a .530 roundball and a .018 pillow tick patch and get excellent accuracy with 100 grains of Goex 2f in my .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle.

According to Lyman the max charge they recommend in 120 grains of 2f or 100 grains of 3f for the .54 caliber. With the slow twist I think you will find it can push a roundball rather fast. So I would start at 85 grains and work my way up the ladder with patched roundball. It should fall into tight groups around 100 grains is my guess.

The .54 caliber roundball is an excellent game taker. It has the power to take elk, moose, deer, bear, actually about anything you might want to hunt in North America.

If you need a new nipple for the rifle, remember, Lyman is metric and takes a Lyman size thread 6 x .75mm threads. You have a Great rifle there. Enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you guys very much. You've given me the info I need to quickly prepare to use the rifle this season. I inherited it from my father-in-law, who was killed in a motorcycle accident back in July. If I can get comfortable with the rifle, I hope to honor him by harvesting a buck with it this year.

Again, thank you!

Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

SCRIDER1,
Sorry to hear about loosing your father inlaw. I'm sure he'd be honored to have you harvest a handsome buck using the Great Plains Rifle.
I wish you the very best of luck this season!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Thanks in advance!
I have the .54 Great Plains Rifle in percussion. I shoot a .530 roundball with .13 patch(compressed), 90gr. of Goex 2F powder, and a Remington #11 cap. It's a tack driver at 100 yds with open sights. One of my favorite rifles. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SCRIDER1
What kind of performance could I expect compared to a 50 cal, ect. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
The ole .54 is the 30-06 of muzzleloaders.