HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Confused about inline hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/114870-confused-about-inline-hunting.html)

TrailTimer 09-29-2005 07:40 PM

Confused about inline hunting...

I have a CVA Buckhorn 50 cal muzzleloader inline that I just purchased and I'm a little confused about something. I've been shooting it, and I'm noticing that it is very easy for the .209 primer to fall out from movement of picking the gun up, or holding it to my side. This is concerning me due to the fact that if I decide to move from one place to another that the primer may fall out while I am moving. Is there something I am missing, or do not know about? Am I supposed to slowly close the breech? Somehow this just doesnt seem right.

Someone please advise...

Thank you!

cayugad 09-29-2005 08:11 PM

RE: Confused about inline hunting...

it seems you have a very loose fitting 209 primer breech plug. No, the 209 primer is not supposed to fall out when you move the rifle around. You are probably finding them easy to remove after you fire them also.

You could get a different breech plug. Give CVA a call and tell them the problem. I think you might find them most agreeable. I am sure this is not the way the breech plug is supposed to function. I'm surprised it is so loose actually. Usually people find that they are unable to get the 209 primers out of the breech plugs.

The other thing you might try is somehow make the 209 primer you're putting into the breech plug, especially in a hunting situation more secure.

Whether this would work or not, who knows. I will have to try this on my CVA Staghorn just to see what happens. I will take a small square pieceof clear packing tape and cover the 209 primer and lap that onto the breech plug itself. The ignition of the breech plug should blow that tape off. The tape should not only hold the 209 primer in place during your hunt, but also help water proof the whole works since the rifle operates on an open breech system.

It just sounds like the 209 primer hole is too large. Give CVA a call. See what they say.

bowhuntin1 09-29-2005 09:14 PM

Ihave a new Kodiak and my 209 primers fit very snug. In fact it is difficult to get them to seat totally. After I fire though they are seated very well and it is very difficult to remove some of them without a removal tool. They sure don't fall out on their own even before firing.

LeeinVa1 09-29-2005 10:19 PM

You might also want to try another brand of primer, some are a little larger, longer, etc. I had a gun that i could not close the breech until i changed primers.

sabotloader 09-30-2005 12:52 AM

TrailTimer

Look very closely at the 209 primer nipple - there should be a very small wrap of spring steel around the upper portion of the nipple. This spring wire should be what holds your primer in place. I have gotten a few replacement nipples in the past that the spring was missing on.

Good luck

TrailTimer 09-30-2005 07:59 AM

Thanks for everyones help! I called CVA and they seem to think that it is a defective breech plug. They are sending me another one, so I'll let you know how I make out!

Thanks again!