Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 looking for some recommendations >

looking for some recommendations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking for some recommendations

Old 09-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default looking for some recommendations

a little info first

my gun is a Knight 50 caliber, I use two 50 grain pyrodex pellets with theSabots that I have, it has worked great over the past seven seasons. Now that I'm down to my last few I need to buy some more.

I'd love to hear some recommendations of some of thesabots out there before I go buy some new ones.

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: looking for some recommendations

If you have a winning combination that is working, why would you want to change? Granted there is nothing wrong with trying out different projectiles for the fun of shooting, and if you run across one that is really outstanding you then switch, but.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I shoot Barnes Expanders in 250 grain out of my Knight with excellent results. I also shoot 240 & 300 grain XTP's out of the Knight rifles with excellent results. The Knight Red Hot sabots also shoot great, although they are nothing more then Barnes Expanders or Spit Fires.

There are also the powerbelt road, but those are as expensive as the Barnes....

What are you shooting now for a projectile?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

thats part of the problem, I'm not sure what brand or what grain I am shooting now, I bought a box of these sabots years ago and dumped them into a small container, for some reason I think they came in grey packaging, they have red jackets on them.... I'm gonna see if I can match one up to something at the sporting goods store, but I also wouldn't mind trying something new.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 PM

I have an old knight wolverine that shoots real well using 50/50 pyro and no.11 caps. I use Knight brand lead bullets(260gr) no copper jackets no copper solid just lead in a sabot and get 1 to 1.5 inch groups consistently.

I have to order the things special to get them noone carries them here. give them a try. the package is 20 bullets and sabots for 8 dollars or less
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

My Wolverine LK-II .50 caliber shoots real well with the 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's and it really shines with the 250 grain Barnes Expanders. I have shot a number of conicals out of it and it seems to do real well with them also. For some reason the XTP's have been shooting so well, I really have not looked to further, but I just got a shipment of 250 grain Barnes XTB Cannelure Copper Hollow Points in .451 diameter. They look identical to a Barnes Expander but are made to load into .454 Casull. I want to do more extensive testing with these in my Wolverine and my Knight Disc rifle.

I have been shooting some of the large 300 grain XTP's in the Disc and getting good results. All I am looking for is a projectile that will stop deer real fast, be very accurate, have good range, and load easy. So far the XTP's are fitting that. When the Pinnacle Powder gets here we will really put them through the test... Good luck with working up some of the loads for your rifle.