Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice? >

Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice?

I just bought from Cabela's a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3-9x40 Riflescope for my new Omega. The guy I spoke to over the phone at Cabela's said it could handle the shock. It will be installed with the T/C Maxima Base and Weaver Rings. Yes, I was going for an economical setup, the whole shibang, even with a $12 sling, cost me $150.00 minus shipping. I know it's not going to perform like a Leupold or Swarovski setup, you don't have to tell me that, but will I be satisifed with this combination as far as reliability and whitetail performance? Thanks guys! By the way, for those of you tracking my progress, I didn't get a chance to shoot this last weekend because it rained like crazy on Sunday, but I went to Wal-Mart and got all the necessities taken care of for it and then some, and watched a DVD that came with my T/C Cleaning Kit which explained the basics of shooting, cleaning and troubleshooting an Omega or Encore. All in all, I've got to say I'm a lot more confident to go out and shoot now that I've seen it's really a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice?

I think you will be pleased with your choice . Many on this board use and swear by the exact scope you mention . I have a simmons 2x7 on my omega and savage , and they work great . Let use know after some range time .
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32 on my Black Diamond XR. And let me tell you, that scope will impress the devil out of people. I was sitting in a blind last year on my friends land. He walked out to see what I had seen. He noticed my rifle and asked to look at it which was granted. After he sighted into the woods through the scope he said, you must have paid more for that scope then the rifle.. what a nice scope. When I told him what it paid for it, but he refused to believe me.

The focus ring on the back works real slick. And the light gathering abilities of the scope are excellent to say the least. I watched a MONSTER buck last year (during our doe season of course) and even as the light faded in the cedar marsh, and anyone that ever stepped foot in one knows how dark they get, I could still see him plain enough to have knocked the snot out of him, long after my binoculars could no longer pick him up. Granted I use a small pair of Simmons binoculars, but they work great. The scope is real good. You will be pleased. They have excellent clarity and real good eye relief.

I have shot hundreds of stiff rounds through my Black Diamond XR and the scope has never moved off O. The only reason I did not buy another for the Wolverine was, I was going to get the same one you bought, but I saw a Sightron on sale. I always wanted to try a Sightron after hearing about their quality from poster... Triple Se7en. Well his advise was right on the money, another low end excellent scope.

Good luck with your rifle.. You will have a good shooter. Also you have any problems with the scope, let me know. I have a 800 number for a person that works for Bushnell and she will help you out if there is a problem.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always ask the question -- wait for replies -- then buy a scope.. not the other way around!

You got a serviceable scope there. The smaller 2-7X32 is a little sturdier, has alot more eye reliefwith slightly better optics. Had you come on this site first with your question, yourpurchase would of been my third choice behind these two below. Both aremore money, butspending $125-$140 puts you in the next quality scope classification.

Sightron SI 3-9X42
Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40.

You bought the best $85 scope that I know of in 3-9. For another $50 spent, you would seen a noticeable difference in quality, optics & warranty.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

While you're probably right about me asking before buying, I wanted a scope for under $100. I know that's being pretty tight-wad when it comes to hunting optics, but I really haven't seen the need to shell out a lot of money when it comes to a scope.....yet anyway. Had good luck with cheaper scopes on all my weapons in the past.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:45 PM

Sounds good to me. Nice setup
Old 10-22-2005, 08:23 PM

I just ordered the T/C Maxima base and Maxima quick detach rings in camo for my Omega thumbhole.Had a 3-9x40 Leupold Vari X II C lying around so that's what I'm putting on it.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Got the exact same scope on my Traditions Pursuit LT. So far I am very pleased with its performance. I purchased the scope after seeing positive comments on this board from those who owned one. It is, I believe, excellent value for the money.

I hope to be able to tell you how much more pleased I am after next week, the opening week of Manitoba's ML season!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 AM

I have a bushnell banner 1x4.5 on my 870 slug gun - works great, and puts that sabot right where I aim. On my omega, I have a Nikon Prostaff 2x7. It seems to work well, and you can get one from Natchez or other online retailers for around $130.

I have a Bushnell elite 3200 3x9 on my .223 that has accounted for alot of woodchucks, a few crows, several raccoons, and the occasional possum. It's a lot of scope for $199, which is what Natchez or Cabelas sell them for. I know a guy with this same scope on his .50 cal Knight and loves it.

Bill
Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 PM

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is probably the best value out there right now in scopes.

Quick Reply: Scope Setup For My New Omega...Good Choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.