HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Saber Tooth Bullets? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/114369-saber-tooth-bullets.html)

Roskoe 09-26-2005 03:25 PM

Saber Tooth Bullets?

Has anyone tried the new Saber Tooth belted bullets? I see these advertised in the new Cabela's catalog. Look like a similar design to the Powerbelts. Thanks. Roskoe.

MLKeith 09-26-2005 03:28 PM

RE: Saber Tooth Bullets?

I have some but have not shot them as yet. The quality of the cast bullet seems to be rather rough but that might not mean much.

Roskoe 09-26-2005 03:34 PM

From the picture in the catalog, it looks like the "skirt" is thicker than a Powerbelt and might have a solid bottom. If that is the case, it may be able to hold its accuracy with a stouter charge than the Powerbelts; which generally work best with moderate charges. I'm assuming this is a lead bullet that would drop down the barrel without the skirt -and depends on the heat/pressure of the ignited powder to upset it into the grooves?

Roskoe 10-04-2005 05:47 PM

Got some 300 grainersfrom UPStoday. The actual bullet is the same diameter (.500)as a Powerbelt - there is short sabot that comes part way up the bullet in the back 25% of the bullet - where the bullet diameter steps down to.435. The sabot looks just like a regular Harvester, except the petals are only about 3/16" long.

This might work pretty well at higher charge levels. Will be in New Mexico elk hunting this weekend - will try to get out to the rangenext week for test drive. Wish me luck. Roskoe.

Roskoe 10-07-2005 11:19 PM

Had a chance to get out to the range this morning. I tested the 300 grain Sabertooth bullets with the following loads:

1. 130 grain of Pyrodex pellets

2. 120 grains of ffg Triple 7

3. 100 grains of fffg Triple 7

Load #1 shot about 2" at 100 yards. Might have actually had the potential to shoot better . . . the scope was slipping in the rings as I was shooting, and I didn't catch this until I got home.

Roskoe 10-07-2005 11:21 PM

Well, it will only let me do one photo per message . . .

The 120 grains of Triple 7 ffg grouped about 12". Must be too much heat/pressure for this projectile.

The 100 grains of fffg Triple 7 shot real well. Also was fairly pleasant to shoot. Photo did not come out real clear, but the group is under 1".

Triple Se7en 10-08-2005 07:42 AM

This is the firsthighly positiveSabertooth report I've read.

cayugad 10-08-2005 09:43 AM

I've seen them listed in different catalogs but never had the desire to try any. This is a very interesting post.

patchholder 10-08-2005 11:18 AM

I have been skimming through different posts and I have been seeing these sabertooths talked about a little here and there and it would be interesting to learn more about them!

frontier gander 07-10-2006 10:59 PM

I used the saber tooth bullets last year when i went hunting for mule deer. Got the rifle sighted in for 150-200 yards. I was hunting on Rabbit ears peak, close to steamboat springs colorado. Buffalo park to be exact. My brother and i are waiting in the truck for the sun to come up so we can start walking up the trail. So we're walking and i spot a doe 20 minutes into the hunt. I drop flat, Cap the gun, Aim and squeeze the trigger... BOOOOOM!. The doe looks around and trots off and im like wait.... the gun didnt kick! Sure enuff, those cute little cups the bullet sits in, they have nothing to hold the bullet to like the powerbelts. Yup the bullet fell out while i was walking up the trail. I'll never use them again and i advise non of you to use them either. Good thing i had 4 powerbelts in my bag bcuz i used them 3 days later and filled my tag.