Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results >

T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results

Old 09-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results

Although I am truly a "newbie" I thought I would pass on my experience for what it's worth.

I had developed a good load of 85g T7 and 245g shockwaves for my new TC stainless Omega. I finally got a chance to get to the range with some Black Mag 3. My impressions:

1. The Black mag 3 is much cleaner, and less crud ring than the T7

2. With the same 85g charge, the groups were good... comparable to the T7

3. The Black mag 3 has a noticably harder recoil than the same charge of T7

4. The Black mag 3 patterned about 2 1/2" higher than the same charge of T7 with the same bullet.

Again... for what it's worth!!

Old 09-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results

Interesting results.. I have heard people talk both ways about the Black Mag3. I guess all I can do is keep my eyes open for some and shoot it for my self...

Keep shooting and see what you think.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:05 PM

From what I have read and heard about Black Mag 3, the reason it is kicking harder and shooting higher the T7 is that it is probably developing more speed. I read somewhere that 100 gr. is a maximum load with BM3, whereas 120 gr. is normally maximum for T7. I'm still trying to get my hands on some BM3 with paying $50 a pound with the hasmat charge. Maybe a trip to cabela's next month . . . . Good luck. Roskoe.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I chronographed a 100gr. volume load of 777 ffg against the same volume of Black Mag'3 pushing 300gr. sabot/bullet. I did get considerably higher velocity out of the Black Mag'3 although I felt the recoil was somewhat softer (heavy but not as sharp as the 777). I was also shooting a stainless Omega. Black Mag'3 seems to work best with heavier bullets and longer barrels which is why the Omega owners seem to love the stuff. I know I am certainly sold so far.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:58 PM

What sort of velocity did you get out of 100 gr. of Black Mag 3 with a 300 grain bullet?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

At 7000ft. altitude, 60degrees F, with some wind I shot a Harvester sabot with a 300gr. solid copper clad pistol bullet and the following resulted:
With 100gr. volume Black Mag'3 and a Winchester standard small rifle primer in the 25ACP conversion on my stainless Omega I recorded a three shot average velocity of 1920fps. I later shot the same load but changed to a Winchester standard 209 primer and the velocity average for three shots was 2004fps. Magkor confirmed that the velocity with the 209 primers should be slightly higher than with a standard small rifle primer or a #11 cap. The same volume of 777 ffg and the same bullet only hit just under 1700fps. (I have a person that claims my numbers for the 777 are not correct but that is what I recorded and have no reason to disbelieve my chronograph as it is just back from the manufacturer and has been completely rebuilt). 777 in my Omega is a mess to deal with and the crud ring is very heavy and difficult to remove. I shot the three shots with Black Mag'3 without a swab between shots and the loading was not difficult.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the interesting comparison!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 AM

Interesting. You are getting about the same speed with 100 gr. of BM3 that I am with 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets. How's accuracy?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

My results with bm3 were the same compared to t7. It was much cleaner and it was much easier to load second and third shots without swabbing. I also perceived more recoil when shooting 348 grain powerbelts out of my Omega. I intend to try it out again in the next week or so with some 250 grain shockwaves but at this point I am impressed and it is my powder of choice.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

My results with bm3 were the same compared to t7. It was much cleaner and it was much easier to load second and third shots without swabbing. I also perceived more recoil when shooting 348 grain powerbelts out of my Omega. I intend to try it out again in the next week or so with some 250 grain shockwaves but at this point I am impressed and it is my powder of choice.

Quick Reply: T7 vs. Black Mag 3 - my results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.