Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 idiots guide to muzzleloading? >

idiots guide to muzzleloading?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

idiots guide to muzzleloading?

Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Default RE: idiots guide to muzzleloading?

Thanks Roskoe. I wrote down your suggestions and will keep them in mind. Thanks for your time. I also would like to know what cleaners and oils are the best to use. This is all new to me.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Cleaners -

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
Butch's Bore Shine
Rusty Duck Black Off
Breakfree CLP

Oils -

Birchwood Casey Sheath
Rem Oil w/Teflon
Breakfree CLP

Homemade Cleaners - for taking fowling out of the barrel

50/50 isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid
one quart of water with a tablespoon of dish soap in it
Simple Green Cleaner made mild strength

these are my favorite cleaners.....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Great info, thanks alot. I just picked up the gun and it came with a bushnell banner 3-9 scope. He also gave me some sabots, speed loaders and I'll be getting a tub of powder later (he forgot it). The only thing I think I need to buy are the primers and the thing you use to measure the powder. I'm looking forward to shooting it I just don't know when I'm going to get a chance.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this thread is worth a bump.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 AM

Excellent posts!!!!

The important thing with shooting at 200 yds is practice. The Omega can handle it. I presently use an Omega with 2 pellets 777 and a 250 shockwave. I have mine setup for 100 yds (just not comfortable shooting past that distance)

Old 10-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Thank You Cayugad. I've been quietly browsing these forums for months to find a step by step list on shooting your first muzzle loader. I'm a bit shy to ask myself, I guess too old to ask a beginner's question. I'm ready to purchase my first Muzzle Loader and now I feel confident enough to make the purchase and make my first shot without blowing my face off. Thank you for taking the time and explaining the whole thing from start to finish. You helped me and many other newbies greatly.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistol , is a favorite gun lube of mine , smeels good and does not leve a thick film , or gather as much dust as some of the rest .
Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Wow that was a great thread. I actually cut n pasted and made a copy of that. I will make copies of that for my hunting club members to read. excellent job. I do not own a bp yet(waiting on the wife to give me money) but i have shot alot of them. My club members let me shoot theirs. Then they also showed me alot about them...loading their preferences and they vary from hunter to hunter. Yes they did let me clean them too..hehe Thats all part of the process. I hope you look in another thread under black power cause i did ask a question on a stuck breechplug..I forget what title thou. maybe you can see
thanks for the great layout on this subject...I knew I was in the right place when joining huntingnet.com...always great advise and a great variety....