Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader Barrels >

Muzzleloader Barrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Barrels

Old 09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader Barrels

I've got a Knight Disc that I bought in 1998...black barrel and black stock...
I'm picky about how I keep my guns...No rust on it anywhere....Still shoots good, so I hate to buy a new one....I've been looking at the Omegas, but can't justify the $$$....I was looking at the stainless/laminate version...sells for about $425-450...Last week I went to WalMart....they had the black/black Omega for $289....Good price....I don't like the hollow composite stocks...But I helped a buddy fill his with foam a couple of years ago and it deaded the hollow sound that comes with them....If you are on a budget there is nothing wrong with a carbon steel barrel....

You would be better off with a $289 rifle and a $200 scope than a $425 rifle and a $65 dollar scope....

Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cyberbuck

This may be a dumb question but just gotta ask. What are the advantages of a stainless steel barrel over a blued barrel? Might as well throw the nickel in there also. Does one hold better groups than the other? Is it just for show and personal preference? I assume they all will rust if not properly maintained. I notice that the price difference is quite substantial.
No, stainless does NOT shoot better! If anything, it is the other way around! You can put off cleaning a little longer if using a stainless barrel, but as you note, even stainless will rust/corrode from BP fouling if not cleaned properly-nothing will ruin any gun faster than black powder fouling, unless it is corrosive primer salts used with smokeless powders!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM

i would go with the stainless, they are easier to clean, more corrosion resistant, and i think they look a lot better than blued.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:46 AM

Its all about personal preferance, I would go with blued, but I usually clean my gun after use each time. I do have a stainless also, and have seen really rough bores from the machining. Iscotch brited mine about 20 strokes, and seemed to fix my problem.