Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American pioneer powder >

American pioneer powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American pioneer powder

Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 AM

Default RE: American pioneer powder

Thanks for the speedy replys. Going to shoot today .I'll post results. But what i was wondering , If I started at around 100 GR of APP fff and ended up around 125-130 for the above mentioned sabots . Would the heavier charges be safe in my gun. I don't think all the powder burns much past 120gr anyway.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

sodaman.. I think you're right on the button with the way you are going to start your shoot. The Encore can handle 150 grains of powder so you are more then safe working your loads up to 120 even 130 grains of loose American Pioneer Powder. Whether you will need too or not is the question.

The 200 & 250 grain shockwaveswill work excellent out of your rifle. They are actually all you need for hunting from some of the pictures I have seen from Omega50 and what heand others have taken with them. They shootexcellent out of my T/C rifles with 110 grains of T-7 2f loose powder.

My real bread and butter projectile in the Thompson Center Black Diamond XR is a 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB pure lead spitzer tip hollow point with a boat tail. I can push these at100- 110 grains of Triple Se7en with outstanding accuracy. When that big chunk of lead hits downrange, it is all over but the butchering.

Poster Triple Se7en turned me on to these SSB's last year. When I heard they were changing their sabot, I found a sale on them (the old style) and bought about a 10 year supply. Whether they changed their sabot I do not know, but people who have recentely purchased them report loading problems which was never one of their features. I suspect a different sabot is all it is.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:55 PM

Where did you find the SSB's on sale? I found them for 15-17 bucks for 36 at Cabelas. I want to pick some up and try them too. '
I'm going broke with you guys suggestion all these bullets and stuff to try.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I purchased the SSB's some time ago. Another poster alerted me (thanks lonewolf ) and told me about the site since he knew that they were my favorite bullet. They had a huge sale on Buffalo Bullets, so I bought all of them they had I think...

Keep your eye on http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/black_powder/bullets_balls_sabots/buffalo_bullet_co/

this site has them on sale every so often. When they do, they don't last long. They also carry a good selection of Buffalo Bullets and other bullets too...

Good luck finding the old style SSB's.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Thanks. I will keep tabs on it. In the mean time, conned the wife into a return trip to Cabelas tomarrow. Will pick some up then.