Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA KODIAK ?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Default CVA KODIAK ?

Has anyone had any experience with this muzzleloader? My younger brother is looking to buy one and would feel better if he had heard some positive feedback about them...I told him I would try and find something out for him...Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA KODIAK ?

Let me start out... I do not own a Kodiak. I did try to buy one when they had an insane sale on them for one day only, but could not get through on the phone because everyone else had the same idea as me.

I have read some good posts on the Kodiak. They are a CVA rifle. That means you load them correctly and they will shoot just fine. I personally have nothing against the CVA or BPI Spanish Barrels that everyone talks about. Again, load them correctly and I think you will have an excellet rifle. If the BPI barrel pressure issues bother you, then get a Knight, Thompson Center, Savage, White, or something that does not use the BPI barrel. With the break open design it should be easy to load and clean although I have never done it....

If I found one on sale for a good price, would I buy one you ask? Even if I didn't need it...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:56 AM

I own a Kodiak and have shot it quite a bit for the last year. I have to say I really like the rifle. It seems to hold decent groups at 100 yds with open sights. I'm using 100 gr. Pyrodex RS, 460 gr. No Excuses conical http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/index.html, Remington Kleenbore 209 primer. I did have a slight problem with the front sight cracking when it fell over. At the time I bought it they were using different sights. I'm not sure if they have changed over to the all metal sights, but I got a set on special from CVA for $10. I have no regrets with my purchase and would by another CVA if something catches my eye in the future.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

Has anyone had any experience with this muzzleloader? My younger brother is looking to buy one and would feel better if he had heard some positive feedback about them...I told him I would try and find something out for him...Thanks
The NEF Sidekick is a betteroption in that price range.

If your brother is considering the fully-dressed Kodiak, the undressed Omega ($299) needs a serious glance-at.

Buy the best possible rifle brandhe can afford. American products rule theinline-world. That's T/C, Knight & NEF.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I am pretty new at this but I figure since Iown an omega and a kodiak then maybe I could compare the two as they are pretty similiar. I received my omegaSS as a gift and a couple of months later bought a brand new kodiakcamo stock nickel barrel for $99.00. I really did not need the kodiak but for $99.00 I could not pass it up. I have only shot the omega on 3 different occasions but have never shot the kodiak. I can say this the fit and finish on the omega is excellentwhereas the fit and finish on the kodiak is pretty good. The little differences in the 2 guns are minor but important to me and maybe you too.The trigger guard is bigger on the kodiak hence its easier to use the trigger with gloves on, its a little smaller on the omega and if you have large fingers it may pose a problem when wearing gloves.The screws were you would put the scope mount are farther back on the omegawhereas on the kodiak they are a couple of inches forward. I prefer them on the omega as they fit me perfect with the scope that I use- Leupold shotgun VX2 1-4x. If I had this scope on the kodiak I would have to move my head forward a couple of inches to get the proper site picture. I have all my rifles set-up so if I had my eyes closed and drew down on the rifle I would be in a perfect sight alignment when they are all set on the same power(4x).I feel the optic sights are far superior on the omega than the kodiak. You can also mount a T-handle on the omega but not on the kodiak -Makes foreasier loading. Even though I have not fired the kodiak I have pulled back the hammer and checked the trigger pull(break) by pressing on the trigger as I keep my thumb on the hammer. I can sort of tell how smooth it is by doing it this way. I must admit the kodiak's trigger seems to break a little bit "crisper" than the omega. The omega's break is good but the kodiak seemsjust a tad crisper. I understand that the barrel on the omega is better made than the barrel on the kodiak. It really matters how much you want to spend. I think a kodiak with nickel barrel goes for at least $100.00 less than a SS omega. I had looked at the NEF sidekick and almost bought itsince it was fairly inexpensive and had a pretty good writeup in several magazines. Only downside to the NEF is that you only get a year warranty whereas with the omega and kodiak you get a lifetime one. I found out one thing you tend to spend a good deal of money for the accessories so if you are on a tight budget you may want to spend less on the gun. One of my friends has an omega the other has a kodiak and both guns shoot similiar and clean up is equal. As I said I am new at this but figured my input could help. I can say one thing you may spend a good deal of time tuning in your rifle and going thru different bullets, powders and primers as this is what is happening to me with my omega. Either this will help you or just confuse you more as everyone will have a different opinion on this matter.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:41 PM

I too am interested in the Kodiak. What is the difference between the Kodiak and the Kodiak Pro? Is it enough to consider the extra money?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cyberbuck

I too am interested in the Kodiak. What is the difference between the Kodiak and the Kodiak Pro? Is it enough to consider the extra money?
The Kodiak has a 28" barrel and the Kodiak Pro had a fluted 29" barrel. They both weigh 7.5 lbs. I have the Kodiak and really like it. I'm not so sure the extra inch of barrel is worth the cost. My Kodiak shoots just fine. Usually only as good as the shooter.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

See My post here: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=72086

Shoots great!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cyberbuck

Another difference is theKodiak has a nickel barreland Kodiak Pro has SS Barrel.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

It's my understanding that one of these is going to have interchangable barrels so that it can compete with the Encore. I know that the CVA Optima Pro was supposed to have some other drop in barrels. I also heard they were thinking of doing this with a Kodiak. They are sure making a good all around rifle for some one starting out, if they pull that off.

Quick Reply: CVA KODIAK ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.