Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How much powder do you use? >

How much powder do you use?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder do you use?

Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much powder do you use?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: Hogwild61

Omega50, (Everyone)

Howis the accuracy performanceat various yardage including long range?
Hogwild

Keep in mind that T/C & Knight inlinesare built with 150 pellet-grain accuracy in mind. Most come out-of-the-box shooting accurately with magnum powder loads. Not-so with most other ML manufacturers.
Curious responce. So how did T/C and Knight make these so much more differently than say my 1996 LK? I mean I have a 1 in 28 twist like the new ones. I have a tighter thread on the breech plug of course for strength. And my green mountain barrel is slightly different rifling than the new ones. But how would a company build a gun to shoot 150grs more accurately?
Call T/C & Knight -- email them. Ask them that question? Isn't that what you always do anyways? Ask them why they build good, quality rifles. Ask them why their spec tolerances are more strict than most other fast productionbrands. MLs have improved since 1996 also... so have the pellets.

That way with a call or email, you get the answer they prescribe. The answer folks like Omegaman & I prescribe to is at the range with either older ones or newer ones. What we witness at the range is not always what the manufacturer professes -- not always what was exhibited with older rifles/newer rifle comparisons-- simply because every rifle is different -- even the one following yours at the assembly line.

That's why you always see me use the words "most" or "majority". I think the answer/words you are seeking is "ML gospel". There is no ML gospel with accuracy & loads. There is no gospel with two identical side-by-side rifles. There is no ML gospel with a 1996 & 2005 Knight side-by-side.

Here's the fastest way to separate the so-so's from the better MLs. Go out & rapid fire a Spanish barrel & American product side-by-side. Use 150 grains of pellets. Believe me, you will see the difference in rifle quality on your paper targets....... most of the time.

That test will only take one hour. The rest of the testings takes much longer.... sometimes years. A few rifles of lesser value will shoot well with 150 grainsfor an eternity. They are of the minority. Even the newbie rifles perform well sometimes. But you won't find literature that's backs 150 grains with them on very many forums like these. But a call or email to the cheaper ML manufacturer may tell you something different.... something you want to hear. They are very good at that. They want your money - so they sweet-talk you like a non face-to-facesalesman should.

So like always... you choose to believe the other side of that phone call. I choose to believe what works at the range & only listen intently to ML manufacturers in regards to safety. Everything else they say over phones & emailsshould be taken with a grain of salt.

If anyone else needs a better clarification of what I expressed in this thread, please email/PM me. I'm done on this thread.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend. 50 gr is a lot for any human at close range.
ORIGINAL: bigboar23

I use 100 grains on hogs and it's fine. I even use 50gr for my girlfriend to lessen the recoil and thats seems to be good enough at close range. Put it where it counts and you'll be in good shape.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM

One of the main reasons I went to the Omega is the 28 inch barrel, not sure what the Knights and othersuse. My Rem was a SS 26 inch barrel.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I guess the meaning of this thread was lost somewhere, I posted what I use as a min working up. My Encore will shoot 150g loads all day for years but that is not what I shoot out of it.

That rifle is feed a steady diet of 120g loose T7 why? Because it shoots so damn well in the thing. Do I need a 1800-1900fps round to kill deer? No I shoot it because the rifle likes it. It will not hurt it, perseved recoil is fairly light (compaired to 3-50g pellets of pyrodex). Do I expect this rifle to outlive an import? Hell ya!! and T/C says it will last me forever or even if I sell it they still will fix it forever.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 PM

I've settled on 80 grains of 777 under a 260 grain Nosler HG. Not a lot of recoil and so far the Nolser has givengreat terminal performance on the deer. Double lunged a doe last year at 125 yards in the snow (last light on the last day) and the Nosler was a pass through. She did run about 100 yards after the shot though. The Nosler makes a bigger hole going in than coming out, which sounds backwards... but I think the bullet expands rapidly on impact and then just plows on through.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:12 AM
Spike

200 gr of Pyrodex with a 300 grain T/C shockwave or SST out of my Ultimate Firearm.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

In my Knight MK-85s 90 gr pyrodex with either a sabot remington or xtp 240I had a Discin a 45 (soon to have another new one is going to be a 50) and the only thing it was liking for me was 97 of 77 under a 220 xtp
Old 09-09-2005, 08:12 PM

I use 130 gr 777 pellets with 250gr shockwaves. I haven't tried 150 gr pellets yet although my friends shoot them and have gotten pretty good accuracy. Bottom line, whatever your gun shoots best, whether it be 80 to 150 grs, stick with the most accurate load and you won't be disappointed.