HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Had to do it. I mean $54.97? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/109699-had-do-i-mean-54-97-a.html)

Pittsburghunter 08-21-2005 12:21 PM

Had to do it. I mean $54.97?

Yeh, I bought a left over Bobcat at Walmart. Probabally the last sidelock CVA will ever make. Actually handles quite well for such a light rifle. I was going to go shooting today but it is too hot and humid.

I just had to pick it up[:-]

What?

cayugad 08-21-2005 04:54 PM

RE: Had to do it. I mean $54.97?

I have one .. a Mountain Stalker a.k.a. Bobcat,in .54 caliber. They really are great shooting little rifles. Mine is a great roundball shooter. I took three deer with it two seasons ago. It dropped them just fine. I did put a cheap set of Star Dot fiber optic sights on the rifle and that helped a lot. Plus I pulled the butt plate and loaded some #4 buckshot into the hollow stock (I double sealed the buckshot in those plastic vaccum seal bags, then form fitted it to the stock. Add a rag in there first and then the bag will go right in) to add a little weight. That little rifle will really give you a kick if you load it hot.

You were wise to purchase the rifle. CVA does not make themanymore (which I think is a big mistake). I have seen them listed on the Auction sites and selling for close to $100.00. There are still a lot of people looking for them. You made a wise choice.

Good luck with the rifle. They shoot roundball and conical real good. My load is 80 grains of Triple Se7en, a wonder wad, and a patched home casted roundball. Let us know how it shoots... :D

Pittsburghunter 08-21-2005 06:01 PM

I just felt it was my duty as a real muzzleloader to buy it. I may be able to rebarrel my CVA Missouri rifle with it. I'm gonna shoot it first though. If it shoots good I will jest look for a good wood stock for it.

cayugad 08-21-2005 06:04 PM

I think they did make the Bobcat for a while with a wood stock. I wonder if Deer Creek would carry something like that? Good luck. I think you're going to like it. It makes a great little stalking the woods rifle...

Pittsburghunter 08-21-2005 06:11 PM

It is light as heck my friend. You know that already. Comes to the shoulder well. Same as the other CVA I own.

charlie brown 08-21-2005 09:28 PM

The CVA Bobcat is a very capable firearm. See my post from yesterday titled "Ready for Elk season." That is a pretty stout load. Recommendation - don't shoot over 80 grains powder with more than a 300 grain bullet, you WILL feel it. I have also found it doesn't like sabots very well, but will shoot conicals and round balls just fine. Also, I have done "powder burn tests" and after 80 grains with round balls, not all of the powder gets burned anyway, so I have found it is best to keep the powder charges under max for the best powder efficiency. Good luck, stay safe, and have fun!!