Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Diamond Express VS Pursuit LT >

Black Diamond Express VS Pursuit LT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond Express VS Pursuit LT

Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Default RE: Black Diamond Express VS Pursuit LT

Thanks guys for the replys, Both guns sound really nice. I have heard so many good things about T/C and the warranty. They say they stand behind their guns really well. Have not heard anyone speak on Traditions and their warranty.

Tahquamenon, your not the first to mention that I need to chack out the pursut pro. Others seem to really like this gun also.

So many guns so little time before season begins

GHog
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 PM

I bought one of those BD packages from Walmart for $170. Before I got a chance to shoot it my neighbor talked me out of it, and I bought the same gun with the longer barrel. They both shoot great, we'll be hunting with them in a few weeks.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Spike

If you decide to go with the Black Diamond, and you plan on putting a scope on it, then I would also HIGHLY recomend that you consider purchasing the Leupold Quick Release Bases and Rings. These things works extremely well. It allows you to take the scope off for cleaning and special state seasons without losing zero.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Black Diamond Express VS Pursuit LT...UPDATE..GOT A GUN

Well, guys I want to thank all of you that responded to this thread. I went to WalMart this evening about to just go ahead and get the Pursuit LT as most of the other guns were out of my price range right now. I was kidding the sales lady about selling me an Omega for less money, she wouldn't do it. I asked her were these guns last years model. She said no they are 2005 models but she had a few 2004 model guns stuck back ready to send off that she could make me a deal on.

Well she went to the back of the store and pulled outa Black Diamond XR, blued barrellw/hardwood camo stock. It had a sticker of $289.74 on it. We talked for a few minutes as I looked over the gun. She finally sold me the gun for $170.00 (please nobody tell me I got ripped off)

I am tickled to death. I think this gun should last me a long time.

Now, I purchased some cleaning supplies, a couple packages of Triple 7 50 grain pellets. I also picked up some 250 grain shockwave sabots. Is this a good combination? I know some of you say 130grains of power etc. Does the pellets come in a 30grain load or do you have to shoot loose power to get this load. Any advice on what setups work well with gun will be appreciated. I will only be hunting whitetail and from most of my stands do not have a shot over 150 yds.

You guys have been great and sorry to be so long winded....Just a little excited to be owning my first muzzleloader..

GHog

EDIT...gahunter19. Who sells those Leupold Quick Release Bases and Rings. They sound nice.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

$170.00 bucks for a Black Diamond XR is a STEAL !!! WHAT A DEAL !! on most of the auction sites used ones are going for more then that and you got a brand new Jim Dandy Bing whistle Black Diamond XR for that price... you done real good !!

I am tickled to death. I think this gun should last me a long time.
Before the Omega's hit the scene, this and the Knight Bighorns and Wolverines were the guns to own. Now they consider them as an off line of rifle. Off line my you know what! Well they might take longer to clean then an Omega or a Revolution but they will stand toe to toe on the rifle range with them any day. This is all the muzzleloader you will ever need to own. The only reason I own more then my Black Diamond XR is because I collect guns. Not that any of them can do anything the Black Diamond can't. Just I get urges for guns and buy. Impulse buying I believe it is called.

Now, I purchased some cleaning supplies, a couple packages of Triple 7 50 grain pellets. I also picked up some 250 grain shockwave sabots. Is this a good combination?
Start your rifle out with two of the 50 grain pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. I think you will be more then pleased with the accuracy. You can try three pellets if you like. I personally think pellets are real nice..just too expensive and not for me. And yes they do sell 30 grain pellets. I personally shoot 120 grains of loose Triple Se7en FFg and the accuracy is outstanding.

Some little hints so you do not run into the same trouble I did the first time I shot my Black Diamond XR. Make sure you read your manual cover to cover. Once you're sure you know all the information in the book, read it again. Now make sure the rifle is really clean. Be sure and use a good quality breech plug grease on the breech plug or else, shooting Triple Se7en will seize that plug up fast! Every 7 to 10 shots take that handy dandy breech plug wrench that came with the rifle and reach over the 209 nipple and give that breech plug a little twist back and fourth. This is making sure the thing is not seizing.

Take plenty of patches and swabbing solution with you to the range. Also take some Q-tips. You can dunk them in swab solution and clean the inside of the 209 nipple out when it gets fowled and you can clean the breech of the rifle out easy once you get a scope on it.

Swab the barrel and run a dry patch down to the bottom of the breech. Now, before you load the first time, pop 2 of the 209 primers through the empty rifle. This will clean out the breech plug and dry all the stuff down there. When you pull that patch back up you can check and see how much fire is coming through the breech. That patch should be very burnt and sometimes even blown apart.

Now that your ready to load just drop two of the pellets down there and seat a Shockwave on top of them. Be careful not to crush the pellets. My understanding is that can lead to some real accuracy problems. With the ramrod on top of the load, take some masking tape and wrap it level to the muzzle of the barrel around the ramrod. That is your witness mark. If you load and do not have that tape level to the top of the muzzle or very close, do not shoot the rifle. It probably need the barrel swabbed better. Be sure and swab between shots when working up a load.

If after your done shooting (and you better have been checking that breech plug) and you'rea long way from home, take the striker, spring, end of the spring, cap, nipple and breech plug out of the rifle and put that in a plastic zip lock bag so nothing gets lost. This way nothing will set up. I have also swabbed the loose fowling out of the barrel at this point only so it does not have time to harden on.

A better breech plug wrench is a narrow 7/16 th socket on a 8" extension with a ratchet. It will take the breech plug and nipple out of the rifle real fast. Just hold back on the trigger as you push any breech plug wrench or socket through. Sometimes it will grab the wrench and not let it slide through. Same goes for after you have cleaned the rifle and are putting the striker back in. Hold back on the trigger. Also when you take the double locking lug bolts out of the bottom of the stock, there are two small washers buried up in that stock that will fall out if you do not be careful. Don't loose them. I take them out with the bolts. That is what helps the barrel free float. Also when you shoot off a bench rest, never rest the barrel of the rifle on anything. Only the stock should be supported the barrel just kind of floats out there on its own.

You have a great rifle.. Good luck. If it is anything like mine, it is a great shooter....

Old 08-27-2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks cayugad, That is real good information you have provided. I have run into one minor detail I over looked at the store.

THERE IS NO MANUAL IN THE BOX!!!!!!!

I went to T/C's website thinking I could download a PDF version of it as I was wanting to shoot some tomorrow. But they offer nothing more than a email address to request one. I may go back to WalMart and ask her to look in the box for the other gun and see if has a manual in it. They still have one more BD XR in the back so maybe it has a manual. Otherwise I guess I gotta wait for T/C to mail me one.

GHog
Old 08-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Thompson Center's Black Diamond XR has its own owner's manual. You would have to get them to look in the box of the other one to see if they could find one for you.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Cayugad - those pesky little washers that are buried up in the Black Diamond stock (that always fall out when you take the guard screws out) . . . . glue them into the stock with JB weld. Put a little bit between the washer and the stock, and then put the screws in - with a good coating of Break Free (or Acraweld release agent) on it in case a little glue gets on the screw. Tighten and let dry.

Also, the front sling stud has pulled out on two Black Diamonds I know of - it is a "wood screw" type stud. Replace it with one that has 10 X 32 threads and a nut on the inside of barrel channel. Mine pulled out while hunting - the front sight hit the ground and broke the fiber optic rod.

One other little pearl . . . . be VERY careful about lowering the striker on a primed charge. If you go a little too fast or the little handle slips at all, even in the last 1/8" of its travel forward, it will discharge. I also imagine it would discharge quite easily if you were carrying it with the striker down on a primer, and the striker handle got bumped even a little. I've been trying to figure out a way to put a 1/2 cock function into this mechanism, but so far no luck.Not sure what the manual says, but Idon't recommend lowering the striker once the gun is primed.

Otherwise, these are great guns and, as you know, are as accurate as any MZ rifle out there.