HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   T/C Omega Camo Thumbhole (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/109384-t-c-omega-camo-thumbhole.html)

jyski 08-18-2005 02:08 PM

T/C Omega Camo Thumbhole

After an agonizing few months of waiting I just shot my new T/C All Camo Thumbhole Omega and what a difference from my CVA Flintlock !! I went all out on this one with the Camo Nikon scope, Camo Rings and even shipped the Ramrod, sling swivelsand scope base out for a matching camo dipping. Just need to get the thimbles sent out now that I've got it. Maybe after this season is over.....She's a sweet looking gun !!! Anyway, need some opinions

Started sightin in with100 gr 777 pellets - and the 5 - 250 gr shockwaves that came with it and got a real consistentvertical pattern while adjusting windage on the scope. Shot all 5 free Shockwaves and then started using 245 gr Powerbelts that I had bought a head of time. Shot some more to get the scope dialed in at 50 and finally shot a group that a quarter would cover - at least on the 1st 2 shots. I shot 3times and 2 were dead on and 1 flew high left. Cleaning after every shot with a No.13 wet patch and a couple dry patches. So I shot 3 more and the same thing....2 shot great and 1 shot high left impacting in the exact same places. At this point I can say that I ruled out me pulling or flinching or anything like that but then I did a little looking and thinking and noticed that the plastic base on the Powerbelts was tapered towards the bottom of the bullet. So I took the Powerbelt and set it on top ofa 777 pellet and noticed that it sort of swivels on top of the pellet a little. Obviously it is in a much more confined space when actually loaded in the barrel and has very little movement but I took the sleeve from one of the shockwaves I shot and noticed that the Shockwave sleeve has a couple of lines inside the hollow section that meets to the bottom of the bullet. I put that sleeve on a 777 pellet and noticed that it seated much more securely and reliably when it seats against that line inside the sleeve. Has anyone else noticed this with the Powerbelts or has questioned this as being a potential issue with accuracy? It seems the Powerbelts produce abit more fouling but are easier to load than the shockwaves. Right now Im leaning towards the shockwaves but before I rule out the Powerbelts I just want some opinions on using themand if there are any tricks in loading them comparatively. Thanks

cayugad 08-18-2005 02:38 PM

RE: T/C Omega Camo Thumbhole

The only thing I do with powerbelts different then you is.. I do not use pellets and before I seat the powerbelt, I pull the plastic button off the bottom of the conical. You will note a small lead spike coming off the projectile that the plastic button fits back on to. I put a small dab of lube, oil, spit, anything I have around, and then replace the plastic button. I feel this assists the powerbelt is shedding the button faster and giving me better accuracy.

One other thing I am wondering is, if you are shooting these three powerbelts in a row, and the third one is always the flyer, do you suspect that the barrel of the rifle might be heating up and causing perhaps a variation of the powerbelt spinning in the bore? Or perhaps as you noted the fowling is getting worse, but since you said you are swabbing between shots, I wonder if before the third one is loaded perhaps an even better job of swabbing might be in order.

Next time you shoot, try letting the rifle cool down longer between shots. And really concentrate on the swabbing technique. It sounds like you have an excellent setup. I am sure some of the Omega shooters will have a better answer then I...

Good luck with the rifle. Shockwaves really do shoot well out of most of the Thompson Center rifles.

jyski 08-19-2005 06:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify that it was my second shot on the second group of 3 that hit high left. I did think about the heat of the barrel as I was shooting and usually wait about the same time between shots but I had shot the first 5 shockwaves with no issues and the shots were spread evenly as far as the time it took to swab and reload as I did with the Powerbelts. That could still have something to do with it as you mentioned. I guess theres several things that could have attributed to the strays but i was just curious if the Powerbelts ability to rotate when pressed on the pellet, more than the Shockwave may have had anything to do with it. Thanks again.

cayugad 08-19-2005 07:59 AM

Well as far as the pressed on pellet issue, I would not know since I do not shoot pellets. A friend of mine shoots pellets all the time and he shoots R.E.A.L. conicals. He has never said there was an issue with the pellets.

This is an interesting issue, pellets VS loose. Most people report excellent accuracy with both. Good luck with your rifle. Its a great set up there.

non-typical1 08-21-2005 07:10 PM

jyski,try fouling the barrel b4 shooting and do not clean between shots.That usually helps the powerbelts accuracy.

PETE

ijimmy 08-22-2005 06:19 AM

My omega likes the 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelts over anything Ive tryed yet , which included alot of diferent 250 grain bullets and 300 grain shockwaves . I use lose powder

jyski 08-22-2005 06:56 AM

THanks guys....Im going to try the Shockwaves again and see how they do. Does anyone have any ballistics info on the Shockwaves using either 100 or 150 loads shooting from an Omega?

cayugad 08-22-2005 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jyski

THanks guys....Im going to try the Shockwaves again and see how they do. Does anyone have any ballistics info on the Shockwaves using either 100 or 150 loads shooting from an Omega?
With 2-50 grain pellets and a 250 grain shockwave they are doing 1785fps on average. I would venture to guess that with three pellets you would be somewhere near the 2000 range. That is a lot of power and speed you have going there as many hunters have shown.

Hogwild61 08-22-2005 11:44 AM

Cayugad (All)

What would be the performance preference at 200-250 yds on deer with an Omega to acheive a ethical kill. 250 or 300 SST with 100, 130, or 150 Pyro Pellets, keeping accuracy in mind??

cayugad 08-22-2005 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Hogwild61

Cayugad (All)

What would be the performance preference at 200-250 yds on deer with an Omega to acheive a ethical kill. 250 or 300 SST with 100, 130, or 150 Pyro Pellets, keeping accuracy in mind??

This is the figures on a Hornady 250 grain SST with a BC of .210 a Sectional Density of .175 a working diameter of .452 and a muzzle speed estimate of 2100 fps which would be the approximate of near the three pellet or 150 grain powder charge range...

As you can see the bullet still has plenty of energy even out to 350 yards if you believe the numbers. I could see that with proper shot placement, there is no reason not to suspect a clean kill out to 300 yards....

That is a long way out there to hit something... :D Also take a close look at the bullet drop and it will help you decide where you really want to sight in for if you expect those kind of ranges.. This was worked up through http://biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx its a free program so enjoy..