HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Thanks to Mark and Ryan Elk ML (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/108513-thanks-mark-ryan-elk-ml.html)

bellefe 08-11-2005 01:33 AM

Thanks to Mark and Ryan Elk ML

Thanks to Mark Childers for turning me to Ryan who directed me into getting a Knight 50cal. Now the challenge begins. We drew out for a ML Elk tag in the wilderness area called the Jarbidge in Nevada. Going to be a toughbut exciting hunt and its time to hit the range.

Any suggestions?. I was thnking of grouping high at 50 with 100gr pellets using a 295 aero tip. Any trick to get grouping right. Swabs dry fires etc. Thanks to all And I'll post trip report in Sept

cayugad 08-11-2005 08:33 AM

RE: Thanks to Mark and Ryan Elk ML

If sabots can be used in Nevada, you might be further ahead to shoot a quality sabot out of your Knight Rifle instead of a powerbelt. Knight rifles are known for their long range hard hitting ability shooting sabots. What model of Knight Rifle did you purchase? Are scopes allowed in this area? What are the muzzleloading rifle restrictions.. some places do not allow in line rifles?

I think you're wise in starting with 100 grains of powder and working up a load from there. Personally I would use loose Triple Se7en powder with a 209 primer ignition system. A once in a life time elk hunt would deserve a once in a life time sure shot with the rifle I was going to carry. Just because of the chance you might have to shoot further then 100 yards you can then start building on your projectile and powder charge until you have pushed that projectile to the limit of its best possible accuracy.

I think I would group an inch high at 100 yards. Then you should still be very close at 125 yards and even further depending on the point of aim in the kill zone of the elk. Good luck with your elk hunt. It does sound exciting and I envy you for your opportunity..

ijimmy 08-11-2005 08:54 AM

Im with cayagad , my old knite loved their 250 grain red hot sabots , with 100 grains of powder behind it . It shot awesome

bellefe 08-14-2005 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info. We can not use scopes here in Nevada. Ryan got me the Disc extreme 50 cal TH and I just put a Harris bipod on it. I will try both the pellets and the powder with a sabot

Mark whiz 08-14-2005 12:37 PM

Like the others have said, Powerbelts typically aren't the best choices for Knights. Although, I have gotten accuracy results very acceptable for hunting something as large as an elk when using the 348 & 405gr Aero-Tip Powerbelts. 90gr of 2fg 777with the 348s and 100gr with the 405s will give 2"groups at 100 yds out of my Knight USAK.

If you go to sabots, try the 300gr Hornady XTP Mags or SSTs - both shoot very well out of my rifle and I personally would want at least a 300gr bullet when shooting larger game.