Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle >

First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle

Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle

I have been hunting for many years, but have never hunted or owned a Black Powder Rifle. I would like to purchase one for the upcoming season and spend some time on the range sighting it in. To be honest I am lost on what to purchase. Every shop, magazine or commercial tells me something different and whats good and bad.

I don't mind spending the money for something of good quality as I plan on having it a long time. I want something that will keep the powder dry and has ease of loading as I never even used Black Powder before.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I will be using this rifle for deer.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 AM

Default RE: First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle

one of the new brake open would be what I would get , if I didn't already have one.
Knight ; TC ; Traditions ; they are all good guns.

welcome to the world of coal burners.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

It would help if we knew if your state has any special requirements for their black powder rifles seasons. Some states do not allow closed breech, some demand no sabots. All of this would make a difference.

I will guess you want an inline rifle. I will also guess that your State does not have any special requirements. I will also guess you have other center fire rifles to use in the modern season. So that makes it a lot easier to recommend something.

Spend the extra money then and get something that has customer support and a good reputation. This would be the Knight or Thompson Center line. I would personally look at the Omega or the Revolution. You get the customer service, the life time warranty and an excellent quality rifle. If you could get to a store and handle each of them it would help you to decide which one you like better.

The Omega has rated very high in customer satisfaction for many years. The Revolution is still kind of new to the market. For that reason along I would suggest the Omega, but would not be afraid to get the Revolution if it fit me better. Knight will stand behind anything that might no be right with the rifle as will T/C. Both have extreme long range accuracy and dependabilty. They both will take care of anything you want to do in the black powder world. Remember, be sure of your State restrictions before you make your purchase...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: River Hill

I have been hunting for many years, but have never hunted or owned a Black Powder Rifle. I would like to purchase one for the upcoming season and spend some time on the range sighting it in. To be honest I am lost on what to purchase. Every shop, magazine or commercial tells me something different and whats good and bad.

I don't mind spending the money for something of good quality as I plan on having it a long time. I want something that will keep the powder dry and has ease of loading as I never even used Black Powder before. Any suggestions would be helpful. I will be using this rifle for deer.
It all depends on what you want to get out of muzzle-loader shooting! If you are interested in the real fun of ML activites, then get a sidelock rifle like the Lyman Great Plains, which is as close to an actual Hawken of the Fur Trade Mountain-Man era that you can get in a non-custom rifle. And if you really want some fun, get onein theflintlock version. Or a Pennsylvania Long Rifle. For deer, if shooting round balls, it should be at least .50 caliber. .54 if you will shoot elk or moose with it!!Any sidelock riflecan be used effectively in foul weather by just slipping a condom over the muzzle and wrapping some plastic wrap around the lock area. I use mine in the Adirondacks where it can rain for a week, and the rifles still fire at the end of a hunt!

If all you are looking for is a legal excuse to go hunting during the BP season, then you get one of the many in-lines available on the market, put a scope on it (if legal where you hunt), and use a substitute powder like 777, Pyrodex, or American Pioneer in it, with sabotted bullets or heavy full-bore diameter conical bullets. Austin & Halleck, Traditions, CVA, TC, and Knight, to name just a few, ALL make good inlines. Austin & Halleck also makes an excellent sidelock, either cap or flint! The TC Hawken sidelock types are also decent, but in this genre, I think the Great Plainse rifles are closer to being authentic, as is the Santa Fe Hawken!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

CVA OPTIMA.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Spike

I will be hunting mostly in Maryland and I think I can set the gun up pretty much any way I want. I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't over look a traditional rifle. I realize they are a little more tempermental in the ignition department but if you learn the tricks they are every bit as accurate as a new inline rifle. Also they are a lot of fun to shoot and much cheaper to shoot in the long run. If you're like me and love to shoot rifle, then a traditional is a must. You can get one that shoots patch and ball. This is the cheapest way to do it. And you can shoot all day...

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle that I paid around $249.00 and it is very accurate and in .54 caliber is death to any whitetail deer you might encounter... Just keep an open mind is all...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 PM

If price is not a concern I would look at an Encore. That way you could get different barrels for it in center fire as well. And they are nice.

Other wise there are a lot of choices in black powder rifles right now. The savages are very nice and you can shoot smokeless powder out of them as well. Probably not legal during ML season though.

Paul
Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would look to the Knight Revolution or the Thompson Center Omega in .50 caliber. I think these are two of the best and easiest to clean and use front stuffers on the market. You have no restrictions on muzzleloader type or the use of optics in Maryland. Buy whichever one fits you the best and invest in a good scope. Try several types of projectiles. The saboted bullets will probably give the best accuracy. I use 777 and Pyrodex for propellant.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:39 PM

Thompson Omega Z5 or Traditions Pursuit LT(new model)...........both in 50 Cal.not expensive, easy to load and clean

Quick Reply: First Timer Looking for Black Powder Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.