HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Goex's new BP substitute??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/105616-goexs-new-bp-substitute.html)

HighDesertWolf 07-15-2005 06:19 AM

Goex's new BP substitute???

I just saw an add for this, maybe its too new of a product for my question. Is this stuff any good??

cayugad 07-15-2005 06:44 AM

RE: Goex's new BP substitute???

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

I just saw an add for this, maybe its too new of a product for my question. Is this stuff any good??
If you're talking about Pinnacle... get the FFFg grade.The FFg grade I heard was very course, kind of like fish tank gravel. My sabot shooting rifles and sidelocks loved the stuff. I was able to shoot 12 Thompson Center Mag Express 240 grain XTP's out of my Knight Wolverine II without swabbing the barrel. The accuracy was exceptional.

If you're shooting large conicals.. well I had better results shooting Triple Se7en with the big chunks of lead.

In the sidelocks, I had some excellent days on the range with exceptional accuracy shooting patch and ball. I was shooting during the winter time, snow on the ground and snowing when shooting, and did not notice the powder sucking moisture out of the air, but then I did not load, and leave a rifle sit out there for two hours and then shoot it.

In fact my next order of powder, I fully intend to get some more Pinnacle...

RandyWakeman 07-15-2005 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

The Goex product is American Pioneer, and manufactured solely by them.

cayugad 07-15-2005 12:22 PM

Randy -

Your saying Pinnacle is nothing more then American Pioneer Powder in a different container? The reason I ask is Pinnacle is dark black in color. I always thought American Pioneer like the old Clean Shot was that dull gray in color. So what really is the difference? Other then that is shot real good out of most the rifles I tried it in other then the flintlocks....

RandyWakeman 07-15-2005 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

So what really is the difference?
A very good question for Goex.[&o]

LaneNebraska 07-15-2005 02:08 PM

So now theBEST blackpowder substitute comes in 2 colors: dull grey and dark black.;)

I'm good with that!:)

American Pioneer Powder--FFFg Rules:)

Pittsburghunter 07-15-2005 07:38 PM

I have bought a pound of Pinnacle but have not shot it yet. I have an unfired late 20th century T/C I am considering using as the first gun to shoot it. The thing has a 30" barrel and is a side lock. I will be shooting conicals first and then PRB's what grain loads should I consider?

It is FF Pinnacle that I bought.