Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Gunpowder and fireworks!!! >

Gunpowder and fireworks!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gunpowder and fireworks!!!

Old 07-10-2005, 06:54 AM

Default RE: Gunpowder and fireworks!!!

Yes, and if you use a kitchen match you can avoid singing the hair off your hand, but don't try it with a paper match. The idea that you can use it as a short fuse and walk away from the result before the firecrackers startup is what set off the meter.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try pouring a line of smokeless powder and lighting it once, you might learn something new.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back when I wasa kid we reloaded shotshells to shoot trap. I can'tremember nowif it was Red Dot or Blue Dot, but I remember that after we stopped reloading and Dad sold the MEC, he had almost a fullpound of powder left that he asked my brother and I to "throw away." Well, being teenagers we just couldn't see letting that much powder go down the toilet unburned!

So we took it out to the gardenand poured itonto a piece of aluminumfoil with about a 5' "fuse." When we lit that baby up it took about 3-4 seconds to burn to the fuse, thenwhen the main pile went it shot a flame almost 10 feet tall forseveral seconds and reduced the aluminumfoil to a puddle of molten metal.We could feel the heat on our faces from 30 feet away. It burned much slower than we expected, but with a lot more intensity. It was a 10' tall, 8" wide column of flame.

Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geeeezuzzz - So much for lightnen off acetaline in a trash bag!

We used to take powder out of old shotgun shells. Powder + few nuts,bolts.Drill small hole in 3/4" pipe for fuse install 2 threaded caps and you gotta a certifiable BOMB. Scares me to think about building one of them things 30 yrs later.