Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Encore vs CVA Optima >

Encore vs CVA Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore vs CVA Optima

Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Encore vs CVA Optima

There's only one thing that comes too mind when comparing the Encore too the Optima.

Lexus GS430 vs a Walmart gocart!
RA
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DOE KILLER

Thanks for the great advice. Last night I went to Gander Mtn. and looked again at the Encore and the Optima. I could see a difference in the quality of the guns. I think that even though I will have to give twice the price for the Encore, it should be my choice.
Good luck with your rifle. I think you made a good choice..
Old 07-09-2005, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
Good luck with your rifle. I think you made a good choice..
What he said.

Here are the results you can get with an Encore 209x50 when you find the right load. Both groups were at 100 yards, 3 shots each. Left group was after scope adjustment. Took a long time to find the right load but I think it was worth it! Good luck with yours.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

No contest there , the T/C wins just for versatility and resale value . I don't like CVA at all , the only one I've ever bought failed me and their so called customer service pissed me off .
Old 07-10-2005, 05:10 PM

I just bought an Optima, my Encore never was very accurate (50 cal.) Did the 25 ACP fror the Optima, haven't shot it yet. If it works, will try it on my Encore............
Old 07-10-2005, 05:38 PM
BS

G2 Shooter, Great Shooting, will you tell me the load info, or send me a PM.
Thanks,
No-BS
Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I also agree with BS.. great shooting G2 shooter. When your rifle shoots that good on the range, it is hard to wipe the smile off for the rest of the day. Outstanding!!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:34 AM

Thank you. When I shot that group I had to take a picture and send it to all my friends. I have also been able to repeat it so I know it's not a fluke. It took many long days at the range to find that load.

First I want to say that those groups are from a bench with sand bags and rest. I swab between shots and shoot once every 5 minutes. I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the accuracy and it wouldn't be the same under field conditions but it's nice to know what the rifle is capable of. I have also installed an oversize hinge pin which reduced my group sizes by almost an inch at 100 yards!

The load is:
200 grain Thompson Center Shockwave Sabots
130 grains of Pyrodex pellets. Two 50 grain pellets and one 30 grain pellet.
Winchester 209 primer.

Before people start bashing my load, here are my arguments. Why do you need more than a 200 grain projectile for deer? I don't know of many rifle shooters that use more than 180 grains at the most. I have used 250 and 300 grain bullets and the deer run just as far (or short) as they do with the 200 grain bullet. 130 grains of Pyrodex may be a bit of overkill but that is what gives me the best accuracy so I use it. I have tried 90-100 grains and didn't get groups as tight. I use pellets just because they are easier. I know most of the guys on this forum will accept what others shoot but it seems like more and more people just like to argue now. Anyway, the results speak for themselves.

Good luck to you all this season!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 AM
BS

G2 Shooter,
Thanks for the load info, 200 grainers kill deer just fine. It was my old standby load when sabots were new and folks wanted to know what to shoot. I would tell them to try 200 Hornadys, if they didn't group, try the 180s.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

G2 Shooter I agree with BS.. that is an excellent load and powder combination. When I tell people not to shoot magnum or hot powder charges it is because normally most of the rifle will not produce that kind of accuracy you are getting with that kind of load. If you get that kind of accuracy then by all means shoot it. I sure would. In fact in my Black Diamond XR I found that a Shockwave 250 grain and 120 grains of loose Goex gave me the best accuracy. Do I shoot that load... you bet. Every time I use the Shockwave 250 grain. I have never seen the 200 grain in the stores around here (which is no surprise considering where I live) but I think on my next on line order I will pick up a box or two of them just to play with..

Also your description of your shooting procedures I am sure played a large part to the overall accuracy of the load, but stop selling your self short. You took the time to go to the range and work that load out. You took the time to practice with that rifle and learn to control all aspects of shooting it properly.. That also has a large part to do with the group you shot. Again, great shooting... great load.

Quick Reply: Encore vs CVA Optima

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.