Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what bullets for hunting elk. >

what bullets for hunting elk.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what bullets for hunting elk.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Default what bullets for hunting elk.

Was just wondering what bullets to use on elk(50cal). My son has a good chance of getting a 350+ bull. Do the barnes bullets perform as well as the rifle version? If so are there any good inexpensive bullets to practice w/? I've heard power belts are good, any opinions?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what bullets for hunting elk.

This is just my personal opinion but the Barnes Expander in 250 grain or bigger is a great projectile. I use them in my Knight Wolverine II and the accuracy with them is outstanding. They unfortunately are expensive so I do not shoot them in practice much.

Some projectile you might want to consider are 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabots, T/C Shockwaves, Barnes Expanders, and of course powerbelts. If conicals shoot well, also look into some 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. Also consider bullet choice on the distance you feel your son might face in his hunting.

Push the projectile as fast as you can but most of all be accurate.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM

I was looking at something in the 250gr range to give some extra range. He could see some pretty long shots, as Nevada is pretty open. I wanted the 250's because I think that he'll have a longer effective range than w/ the heavier bullets. Any flaws in my thinking?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
BS

I am with cayugad, use a big lead bullet and push it as fast as it will fly straight. The NE 460 is a good bullet to start with.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
BS

Forget the maximum range thing, and go for penetration and knock down. My theory is, get closer and wack em hard.

See if you can get one of the Simms recoil pads to fit the kids gun.

I got this from the Dirty White Boy's site:

"My son and I are going Elk hunting this fall in CO. I am using my .504 cal. Super Safari. My load will be 80 grains of TF T7 and Bob's 495 grain NEWS. This load shoots very well for me. But, is it enough? Elk are big,tough critters. Any of you DWB shot an Elk with a White?
My son will be using his 97 with a 460 grain N.E. and 60 grains of P. About all the recoil he can handle. As long as he stays with in 75 yards I am thinking it will be stout enough. "

Very realistic thinking, but it really depends on how well your son can shoot and handle recoil.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NVMIKE

I was looking at something in the 250gr range to give some extra range. He could see some pretty long shots, as Nevada is pretty open. I wanted the 250's because I think that he'll have a longer effective range than w/ the heavier bullets. Any flaws in my thinking?
I would think a 250 grain Shockwave or Barnes Expander would give you some of the longer ranges you're looking for. Although it will still take a lot of practice to shoot long distances.. What kind of rifle were you using?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 PM

I was looking at the savage.