HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Powder to powder? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/104039-powder-powder.html)

vangunsmith 06-27-2005 08:05 PM

Powder to powder?

Been reading reports on powders from different bullet manufactorers. They seem to have certain preferences which is understandable,with different barrels,twists,and bullet weights. Most seem to prefer Triple7ff or Triple 7fff. What do you shooters out there prefer in the 50 cal with sabots and 45cal bullets,or 50cal bullets. Just looking to compare your thoughts as my own experiences in experiments. vangunsmith

quigleysharps4570 06-27-2005 08:16 PM

RE: Powder to powder?

Swiss, Goex and Graf is doing fine for me.

cayugad 06-27-2005 09:17 PM

Other then Black Mag3, I've been lucky enough to test a number of different powders including; Goex 2f & 3f, Triple Se7en 2f, Pyrodex Select, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, Clean Shot, Pinnacle, and Swiss 2f & 3f powder. All of them will give good accuracy with sabot projectiles for the most part. What you need to consider is the conditions you shoot and hunt in. If it humid, dry, snow, etc? This might be more of a factor on your powder selection.

Next consider how much you like to clean your rifle. Is fowling a problem for you? Some powders you need to swab a lot more then with other powders. Also clean up depending on the kind of powder will vary, but remember... you still have to clean them.

I personally shoot a lot of Goex 3f in my inline rifles. I also like Triple Se7en. This last winter I tested some Goex Pinnacle and it shot excellent with light weight sabots. It did not shoot so well with heavy conicals...

Mark whiz 06-27-2005 11:11 PM

All I can speak for is my Knight USAKrifle, butit likes 777 the best. Like cayugad, I've shot about everything out of my rifle (including the Black Mag 3) - some of it works well, some not so well, and some just plain stunk (stank?) in my rifle. By & large, I think the actual gun will determine which powder works best, not the bullet.
In my Knight, saboted bullets up to 300gr, ALL powerbelts, & all conical bullets want the 2fg 777 powder, while any sabot over 300gr does best with 3fg 777.

I've also gotten nice accuracy out of CleanShot/American Pioneer in the past, but moisture contamination became a problem for me with it so the switch to 777 was made and there have been no issues ever since.

Shooting most of the new substitutes (777, BM3,APP, & Pinnacle) is much cleaner, making reloading and cleanup easier - which is always a plus. But to know for sure, you just have to try each in your guns to see which works the best.
For me, the BM3 was VERY clean shooting - but it's performance and accuracy was BAD out of my rifle. Others have gotten terrific results with it though - there is only one way to know for sure.....................experimentation.

Slamfire 06-28-2005 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: quigleysharps4570

Swiss, Goex and Graf is doing fine for me.
I haven't tried the Graf in my .50 yet, but is sure clogs up my .35. [X(]

quigleysharps4570 06-29-2005 04:31 PM

Haven't triedtheir 2f, I've been using 3f Graf and seems to be burning cleaner than Goex in my .50.Next order I'll try some 2f.

Slamfire 06-29-2005 11:38 PM

I got 6 fffg and 4 ffg in one order, like I said I gotta wipe my buggy rifle after each shot or somethin will git stuck, pulled the pressed on handle off'n my range rod tryin' to run a dry patch through after a wet one.