Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thumbhole stock

Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: thumbhole stock

ORIGINAL: mooseman44

I just got a cabela's catalog and saw thumb hole stocks for the Omega. I've handled an omega with one in the store and liked the way it felt. (BTW, my omega has a synthetic stock, the only one sold with thumb hole when I bought mine was laminated so that's why I didn't buy it from the get go.) To all of you who use or have used thumb hole stocks what do you think of them, good and bad?
I also do not own one but shot a Knight Wolverine with one. On the range it was very comfortable to shoot. I then thought about all the stuff that I walk through when I hunt... brush, tree limbs, and thought to myself, I have enough to do keeping the trigger guard clear and clean, I would not want to worry about a hole in the stock to boot. I guess what I am saying is, I shoot a conventional stock. I practice with it, and find that I am fine accuracy wise. Although the thumb hole might be an advantage on the range or open field, I do little hunting there, I am in the thick stuff where shots are close, snap shots might be required or at least fast target assessment, and that hole in the stock would just be one more worry...

Those that have them and like them, that's fine... I have nothing against them, just not for me I guess...
Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 AM

I really like them. I have rifles with and without thumbhole stocks. I think they are more confortable to shoot because the rifle just comes up naturally but I am used to shooting an AR15. The only complaint I had was getting used to carrying it while stalking. Just seemed awkward at first but you get used to it.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 PM
XTP

not sure who or what your "defending yore butt" from with a muzzleloader......but as for the thumbhole stock,it is essentially a closed pistol grip.....ever seen an AR-15.?....AKM.?.....MP5?....M249.?.......(I think you get the point).....I'm pretty sure I could defend myself nicely with any of those weapons.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 PM

No sir, it is just a hole drilled at an angle through the stock that will accept your thumb and not much else. It ain't much like one of them combat thingys, try shootin' one with your weak hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:36 PM

I just got a Wolverine with a synthetic thumbhole stock and I Love it...its my first thumbhole...and it will surely not be my last

Just my .02
Old 06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Funny how everybody likes the thumbholes but complain about the shape of the Encores stock which is an open thumb hole if you think about it.

BTW being a lefty I can't even buy an Omega stock like that if I wanted it is cut for righties only.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 AM

there is a big differance between a thumbhole stock and a drop pistol grip. the thumbhole was designed for bench shooting and the pistol grip was designed for carrying in a combat position. the pistol grip keeps the muzzel in a level position for quick use when walking. when carrying a thumbhole grip the design tends to push the muzzel down when walking. the feel is completely differant when carrying them. i have a Boyds thumbhole on one of my rem. 700's. it's great when it time to pull the trigger but it is terrible to carry.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
XTP

...my comparision was related to the comment about defending yourself with one....thats it!! I realize there are differences between them but I dont see how a thumbhole stock would 'cause any grief in a defensive situation.....like I said, this is a matter of personal opinion and I gave mine....oh ya I forgot..ya can't do that here anymore without gettin bashed !
Old 07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
XTP

....I guess I couldn't carry or defend myself with this either...

Old 07-03-2005, 09:55 AM

oh ya i think you could use that for a defensive weapon. nice gun by the way. but that is a far cry from a thumbhole stock. that's just a guarded pistol grip stock that can be used in either hand. key word in thumbhole stock is thumb. it has just a small hole big enough for you thumb to sqeeze in and it has to be ordered for left or right hand shooting. the way the tunnel is cut it cannot be used in either hand. you can defend yourself with a rock if need be but we were talking about thumbhole stocks and how they carry in the field.