Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders? >

Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders?

Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders?

Who here would hunt coastal brown bears with a muzzleloader? What precautions would you take and why? Given the harsh climate i.e. wet/damp, windy, cold,what would you do to insure ignition?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders?

Pray, and if that does'nt work Pray some more.
Confess all your Sins, you have about 5 seconds!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JsmesB67

Who here would hunt coastal brown bears with a muzzleloader? What precautions would you take and why? Given the harsh climate i.e. wet/damp, windy, cold,what would you do to insure ignition?
I personally would give it a try. I think a well placed shot should do the trick. As for precautions, I would have a back up person with a modern rifle of large caliber who was an excellent shot themselves...

Because of their shear size and strength I would want a projectile that would penetrate deep with excellent expansion. I would also want to push that projectile with as much powder as possible to get the most possible shock benifit. I have read somewhere that the great bears have massive shoulder bone and muscle structure so I am not sure if I would try to break them down. I would shoot for the most internal damage shot, through the heart and lungs.

The weather conditions would be something to consider. Also you have to take into consideration the kind of muzzleloader you are using. If it is an inline I would put a finger cot over the muzzle of the barrel to keep moisture out of that end. I would use a closed breech type inline with a 209 ignition. This should solve most moisture problems. I would make sure I start the rifle off with a clean dry barrel that is the same temperature as the outside air when I load it.

If I had to use an open breech inline rifle, then I would have a breech cover over that to keep it as dry as possible. Again, a finger cot over the open breech. They are a lot more water proof then people think.

If I were forced to use a conventional sidelock rifle or flintlock rifle, it would be a large caliber. Something is the .62 caliber range with a roundball as a projectile or a large conical. Again a finger cot over the muzzle to keep that end dry. On the #11 cap I would use a small piece of clean plastic fish tank hose to go around the cap and seal it to the nipple. I would also change that nipple every hour on the hour. If it were a flintlock this would be the biggest challenge. I would of course have a leather cow knee to cover the lock. I would load Goex or Swiss 3f as my prime powder since it is better at holding off moisture compared to the 4f grade. Even with the cow knee I would carry some isopropyl alcohol and patches. I would swab the pan, frizzen, and flint off every half hour and change out the prime every half hour or load the prime (if this is possible) right before I was going to take the shot.

Also because of the respect of the great bears, I would practice until I was able to place my shots out to 100 yards perfect. No matter what kind of rifle I was shooting. I would not take any shot that was not high percentage....

good question. Really makes one thing.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto to what cayugad said. I would do it in a heartbeat and use the heaviest, highest velocity load I could shoot accurately. Backup though IS a must.......either another person standing by with hardcore equipment or else I'd have a heavy handgun with me with somebada$$ loads in it.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:45 AM

I guess one of those .70+ caliber doubles like you see in Cabela's catalog would be the best thing to have. The fact that it loads from the front won't matter much, you won't have time for any more shots anyway.[X(]
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 AM

I would in a heart beat with my 69 caliber Great American Sporting Rifle.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:43 AM
BS

I kind of like the idea of two caps.

An 8 bore with 300 grains of FF

Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 PM

iv heard that one of the best ways to stop a bear from getting u while u hunt is not to go for a kill shot. go for the front or back legs to disable it. then take a vital shot. also have someone to back u up!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: i shoot stuff

iv heard that one of the best ways to stop a bear from getting u while u hunt is not to go for a kill shot. go for the front or back legs to disable it. then take a vital shot. also have someone to back u up!
Not the kind of theory that I'd like to test ...

A .54caliber inline with a three pellet Triple-7 load , 400 grain Buffalo Bullet , and a musket cap/nipple. Cap sealedwith candle wax and a finger cot on the muzzle . This caliber is more than adequate since it was developed with large and potentially dangerous game such as grizzlies in mind . My brother once shot a 3" thick red cedar sapling in half at 30 yards with one of mine with a 100 grain Pyrodex RS/.530 roundballload, it would surely fell a bear at longer range .
Old 06-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad
If I were forced to use a conventional sidelock rifle or flintlock rifle
Know nothing what-so-ever about an in-line...but I've never gave it a second thought about taking my caplock out in inclemental weather. Has always went off when it was supposed to.
As for brown bear...back in the early 70's Val Forgett took a .58 to Africa and shot all the big 5 with it. Can't recall the powder charge now, but I tried that load in mine...it was up to brown bear I believe. I'm sure if Val were still alive he'd agree.

Quick Reply: Brown Bears and Muzzleloaders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.