HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Newbe w/ lots of Questions! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/103347-newbe-w-lots-questions.html)

Blue Moose CO 06-19-2005 09:30 PM

Newbe w/ lots of Questions!

I am brand new to muzzleloaders, but finally got a chance to get into the sport. I've been reading lots of post from the forum and have learned alot in a short time.

I was wondering if someone could giveme some basic tips on what todo before, during and after I go to the range? I have a Cabela's .54 cal. Hawkens with percussion cap. I have the start-up kit, a jug of Pryodex Select powder, roundball and patches, and a box of T/C maxi-ball (430 gr.).

Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Blue Moose

i shoot stuff 06-19-2005 09:35 PM

RE: Newbe w/ lots of Questions!

well your not giving us much to go on. i dont know that much but i know a little bit. give us some questions u want ansewered

cayugad 06-19-2005 10:13 PM

The Cabela's Hawkins is made by Investarms. They are a good rifle. They are very similar to Lyman rifles since they are made by the same company. It has a 1:48 twist and a 28 inch barrel.

Before you shoot the rifle, clean it real well. Make sure the rifle is good and clean. Then swab the barrel with a patch dampened with isopropyl alcohol. This will make sure the rifle barrel is clean. Then run a dry patch or two down the barrel. Next pop a couple #11 caps through the nipple before you load it. This will blow any crud out of the nipple and fire channel.

Now take a powder measure and measure out about 80 grains of powder and dump that down the barrel. Next put a lubed patch over the muzzle and seat a roundball into the muzzle. Then push the ball down on the charge with the ramrod. Mark the ramrod with some masking tape and make sure every time you set the ball it reaches that mark again. We call that a witness mark.

Put a #11 cap on the nipple. You cock the rifle, and can use the set trigger if you like. And then try it out. While you are shooting if the rifle is getting hard to load and it is getting hard toreach the witness mark, you will have to swab the barrel. I swab a sidelock rifle with isopropyl alcohol. After running a patch of that both sides, I run two dry patches, swabbing the barrel. Then when you load, you should find it easier to load that way.

If the rifle is grouping well with 80 grains. Then up the charge to 85 grains and see how well the group of shots are. You can continue pushing the charge 5 grains at a time until the shot falls to pieces. 90 grains it should fall into place. I shoot 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched roundball in my Lyman Trade Rifle.

You might want to look up different posts on how to clean the rifle also. A hot soapy water bath is still one of the best ways to clean the rifle.

Blue Moose CO 06-20-2005 08:47 PM

Thanks cayugad!!!

This is exactly what I was needing to know. Little things like the witness marks and popping off a couple of caps after cleaning the barrelare the tricks that I am looking for.

Now a question about using Maxi-balls. Do I need to use a patch with them or is that why they have the prelube on them? Should I start off at 80 grain with them as well?

cayugad 06-20-2005 09:10 PM

No patch with the max balls. Many people use a wonderwad under them and claim it helps with the accuracy. Make sure they are lubed well. You can buy them unlubed if you want from http://www.blackjackhill.com/they sell them and include shipping. You can start them at 70 grains and work your way up from there.

quigleysharps4570 06-20-2005 11:30 PM

Did your kit come with a ball starter (short starter)?

cayugad 06-21-2005 10:34 AM

Another little trick if the rifle ever fails to ignite the powder charge and you have tried a couple caps.... Instead of getting out your ball puller and pulling the load, get out your nipple wrench first. Pick the nipple with a wire. Old guitar strings work great for this or you can buy a nipple pick. If it still fails to fire after the nipple is picked and you tried another cap, take the nipple off the rifle. Now drizzle in black powder/pyrodex./what ever into the nipple hole and put the nipple back on. Now cap it and it should fire. In fact I used to do this out on the hunting stand when I had been sitting there a while. I would pull the nipple and drop just a little powder in there and put the nipple back on the rifle and re-cap it. I figure this way I was sure the rifle would go off and it also gave a few minutes for the trophy buck to walk out in front of me and laugh as I was trying to get the gun back together....

Chuck7 06-21-2005 05:11 PM

Why us newbes are asking questions I've gor one too. I've got the CVA magnum that shoots 209 shotgun primers. Is this correct. I've already cleaned ans lightly oiled it after shooting it in at the range last week. When I go hunting I ...
A, Wipe out the lightly oiled barrel until dry'
B. Fire 2 primers through it to make sure the little hole is cleaned out.
C. Load the powder and bullet.
D, Don't put on the primer until I am in the stand.
E. If I don't get a shot ,remove the primer until the following day but leave the powder and round in. After the 3 day BP season is over shoot the round.;)
Is this correct?
Chuck

cayugad 06-21-2005 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Why us newbes are asking questions I've gor one too. I've got the CVA magnum that shoots 209 shotgun primers. Is this correct. I've already cleaned ans lightly oiled it after shooting it in at the range last week. When I go hunting I ...
A, Wipe out the lightly oiled barrel until dry'
B. Fire 2 primers through it to make sure the little hole is cleaned out.
C. Load the powder and bullet.
D, Don't put on the primer until I am in the stand.
E. If I don't get a shot ,remove the primer until the following day but leave the powder and round in. After the 3 day BP season is over shoot the round.;)
Is this correct?
Chuck
D. Since your rifle has a safety it is your choice as to whether to put the 209 primer into the breech plug on the way to the stand. I often times have the rifle loaded and primed when walking in.

E. If at the end of the day you did not get a shot and want to store the rifle for the next day take into consideration a few things; at any time during the day was it possible the powder charge got wet? Was it for instance raining or very humid? If this is the case you might want to pick out a spot somewhere on your way out of the woods and shoot the rifle off to make sure all is well with the world and your sights are still on. If you feel all was kept well and try, take the rifle to an area where the temperature will stay the same and is dry. Make sure you warn anyone that might come into contact with the rifle that it is loaded. I tie a red bandanna through the trigger to indicate a hot weapon. Take a peice of dry cloth and store the weapon muzzle end down on that cloth. That way if any moisture does form it will move away from the powder charge instead of towards it. It is a good idea to keep a spent 209 primer and replace the live primer with a dead one. That will seal the breech plug. Just do not forget to change them back when you start hunting and in some places that primer can not be in the rifle when you are transporting.

If you feel that at anytime during the day that the charge might have become contaminated then you can fire it off for the practice, and to prove your water proofing techniques work, or when you get home, drop the breech plug out of the rifle, and have the powder fall out the breech of the rifle. Then with a ramrod push the projectile from the breech back out through the muzzle. Sometimes if you try to push them the other way, out through the breech, you ruin the nose of the projectile. I personally just shoot the bugger off at the end of the day. If you only shot it once and intend to hunt again the next day, pull the breech plug and swab the barrel clean. Wipe out the breech plug threads and re grease the plug and put it back, then just load it as normal the next day.

If you know it is going to rain during the day of hunting, go to Wal Mart or a pharmacy and buy some finger cots. They are small rubber protective balloon like things for putting over cut fingers to keep them clean. You can also put them over the muzzle of your rifle to water proof it. And you can shoot right through them with out taking them off. If you have an open breech, a chunk of handi wrap or cling wrap can be put over the breech and it will help keep the water out of that also.

Chuck7 06-21-2005 06:21 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply.
CHuck