Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbe w/ lots of Questions! >

Newbe w/ lots of Questions!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbe w/ lots of Questions!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Newbe w/ lots of Questions!

I don't like to see folks usin' alcohol in their barrels without tellin' 'em they oughta put some kind of non petroleum based oil in the barrel immediately afterwards. Any vegetable based paste lube will protect the steel from rust, and won't degrade your powder. TC's Bore Butter, bear grease or even plain old Crisco will work. Petroleum oils combine with black powder residues to make a really hard to clean fouling.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

I don't like to see folks usin' alcohol in their barrels without tellin' 'em they oughta put some kind of non petroleum based oil in the barrel immediately afterwards. Any vegetable based paste lube will protect the steel from rust, and won't degrade your powder. TC's Bore Butter, bear grease or even plain old Crisco will work. Petroleum oils combine with black powder residues to make a really hard to clean fouling.
While it is true that leaving a petroleum based product in the bore and then shooting powder over that will cause a black tar like substance to form. I have never found this to happen with the use of alcohol. I've been running 91% pure isopropyl or even denatured alcohol as a swab solution in my barrels for years and never had any rust or black tar substanceshow up. This alcohol swab is used to remove any oils that were put in the barrel toprotectit from rusting, before loading. I also use it in sidelocks as a swab because it will remove fowling and at the same time dry out of the barrel on its own or even faster with a couple of dry swab patches. This causes less chance of contamination of the next powder charge with a water based product. I agree that pure alcohol would not protect a rifle bore for any kind of extended storage. For that a quality gun oil is needed.

I personally used to use bore butter. I do not use it any longer except on one test barrel I am working with. I had some bad experiences with bore butter building up in the barrel and causing a loss of accuracy in the past.After that, other then a lube for conicals, I have not used bore butter at all. Even my patch lube contains alcohol in the form of moosemilk, and loading is exellent as is accuracy.

People I have sense talked to about the use of bore butter recommend scrubbing the barrel between shooting clean of bore butter and then re applying it after ward to protect the barrel. This will stop the build up problem that I experienced in the past. In one rifle I am doing exactly as they have advised to do so I can personally see the results. So far I have had a few patches with a brown type substance come out of the bore. I do not think it is rust. I really am not sure what it is. So far though, the test barrel has been shooting excellent.

I personally see no reason to smear wax down the inside of my rifle bore. I think the entire idea of seasoning a barrel is foolish. With our modern steel, and the use of modern solvents and oils to protect the bore I think that is a better way to care for the rifle. For those that use bore butter as a protector of the bore,as I always say, it's your rifle.Also, other then a conicallube you would never see me use bore butter in the bore for anything. Birchwood Casey or Rem Oilto protect the bore, and alcohol to remove the oil from the bore before loading.....
Old 06-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep.... Bore Butter is for patch lube. Gun oil protects the bore from rust better than Bore Butter/Wonderlube 1000. If you make a mistake cleaning/storing with Bore Butter by applying it over trapped moisture in your rifling, rust will form overnite. Also... the use of Bore Butter with sabot/bullets is highly discouraged. It very easilyturns goodshot groups into bad ones ... especially in colder weather when it thickens fast from outdoor exposure.

If I didn't keep a small tube of Bore Butter laying around to use occasionally as a wonderwad in the hollow cavity of a few bullet bases to reduce gas-cutting, it would end up being tossed into my garbage can.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for the information. This is really great stuff.

quigleysharps4570 - Yes my starter kit has the short bullet starter.

Thanks
Blue Moose
Old 06-23-2005, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

If you make a mistake cleaning/storing with Bore Butter by applying it over trapped moisture in your rifling, rust will form overnite. Also... the use of Bore Butter with sabot/bullets is highly discouraged. It very easilyturns goodshot groups into bad ones ... especially in colder weather when it thickens fast from outdoor exposure.
I had this very thing happen in my inline rifle. I was storing the rifle for the end of the season and wasn't planning on touching it for a while. Fortunately I caught it before it got too bad and the rifle still shoots well.

It was a bear to clean out all that brown gunk and you can still see some of the damage in the barrel, but it still shoots well. I threw out and swore off bore butter.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 AM

I wasn't recommending bore butter or crisco for long term storage, or trying to imply that shooting black powder in a clean dry barrel would cause severe fouling. What I'm trying to say is that a patch should follow the alcohol treatment to protect the bore from atmospheric moisture. It will serve for the short time that follows the alcohol and the shot, and won't cause the black goo. It also won't interfere with the ignition or the powder when it comes time to shoot like petroleum products.