Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What Anti-Seize do you use on Breech Plug? >

What Anti-Seize do you use on Breech Plug?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Anti-Seize do you use on Breech Plug?

Old 06-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default RE: What Anti-Seize do you use on Breech Plug?

Hey,
I use Slick 50 one grease from Wal-Mart and High pressure Pink teflon tape from Home Depot.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Gorilla grease works on mine.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best bet would be to listen to those who use 777 powders. If postersdon't include 777 in their posts... disregard them. No other powder will lock up your breechplug like 777 will.

For instance:
I used Gorilla Grease for years with Pyrodex & Goex. It worked fine. With magnum loads of 777 for almost 40 shots, it seized for two days before I finally got it cracked open.... after destroying the front of the breechplug using a 7-16ths socket, breaker bar & PB Blaster for 1-1/2 days. Same with usingonly teflon tape without any grease& every auto grease Wal*Mart sells..

CVA Breechplug & Nipple Grease has a percentage of nickel-anti-seize in it. Check your plug after every 8-9 shots with the CVA. It won't be seized. Keep shooting afterwards- keep checking it.... all day long. It's good stuff! The only other one that I know will work to my satisfaction is this one below.

http://www.sportscareproducts.com/detail.php?product=80135-1

or product #56614 here below

http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=8835&parent_id=352
Old 06-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 90 grains of 3F - 777 and I use Knights breech plug and nipple grease in conjunction with the white teflon tape. After each cleaning I coat the breech plug with the Knights grease and then wrap with tape and then apply another light coat of grease. Insert the plug and tighten till snug. I have never had a problem but I 've never shot more than 25 times before cleaning.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

OK, Thanks everyone for the good info!!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot triple 7 loose and pellets and Gorilla grease never seized my plug ,where as the regular offering from TC did.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 PM

Crisco works when you are usin' black powder, but just pull the nipple when your done shooting for the day to facilitate cleanin'. Since it don't hold nothin' together, don't tighten it more'n you would a spark plug, finger tight + 1/4 turn.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dvdegeorge

I shoot triple 7 loose and pellets and Gorilla grease never seized my plug ,where as the regular offering from TC did.
Now that is an interesting observation dvdegeorge. I say that because when I bought my T/C Black Diamond XR it came with a very small tube of T/C Breech Plug Grease. Since I had no idea what I was doing at the time, I followed the instructions in the manual and lubed the plug with that T/C Grease and went out to shoot my brand new rifle. Well about 30 shots later after an afternoon of Triple Se7en loose and 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's I came in to clean the rifle and discovered the breech plug seized up. I mean we were in serious trouble. I put that handy dandy wrench on the plug that came with the rifle and twisted so hard, I broke the end of the wrench out. After trying everything in the shop to get it out, I finally got a deep socket on it and with some penetrating oil and words my mother would wash my mouth out for, got the plug loose.

The next time I shot the rifle, same grease, and same results almost... I checked it after about 20 shots and took immediate action, getting it removed. Since then, I have never used it as a breech plug grease. That is the reason when I saw the gorilla grease on sale I never bought that or their tape. I had in the mean time tried CVA Slick Nipple and Breech Plug Grease and never looked back. I do use just a small amount of T/C Breech Plug Grease on a tooth pick that I work into the threads on the 209 nipple, the threads of the bolster clean out screws on my sidelocks, and the nipples on the sidelocks, to make sure they come easy.

Just glad to see someone else had similar experiences with the stuff. For the longest time I really thought I had done something wrong. With the CVA I put a good coat of that on the threads and finger tighten the plug in then back it off a 1/4 turn. I check it every 10 shots with my NEW handy dandy wrench (which is all it is used for) and have never had a problem. I have since, shot so many times at one sitting that I had to break the rifle down and field clean it because the striker was so fowled it would no longer slide forward fast enough to ignite the 209 primers.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM

The Only Time I Had My breech plug too getseized up with triple 7 loose all
I had to do was put a little water down the barrel and it came right out.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 PM

has anybody tried the anti-seize they use on spark plugs in aluminum heads?

Quick Reply: What Anti-Seize do you use on Breech Plug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.