HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Kentucky Rifles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/101984-kentucky-rifles.html)

Aught Six 06-03-2005 09:14 AM

Kentucky Rifles

I've never gotten into BP shooting or hunting, but I'd like to start. I'm trying to find a decent flintlock longrifle from the 18th century era and need some recommendations. I've priced Dixie Gun Works, Cabela's, and Traditions so far. Can anyone recommend another manufacturer/supplier to check out?

I'd like to stick to Revolution-era rifles, but I might consider a good Hawken flintlock instead. Recommendations on those would also be much appreciated.

mauser06 06-03-2005 02:45 PM

RE: Kentucky Rifles

for your first flintlock id recomend something along the lines of a TC hawken.....its a good gun....good lock.......and itll make smoke......some of the other brands make cheaper flintlocks.....but thats what they are....cheap....once you get used to the hawken and get the black powder bug you will soon think about a CUSTOM kentucky long rifle.....or even builing one yourself..........thats the boat im in.......soon as i get outa college thats one of my firsts on my list when i get the cash.......i got a 50cal tc hawken flinter and love it......shoots great........goes off every time......good gun....price aint bad.......now i want to build a custom kentucky long rifle in 32 or 36 cal and build a real traditional looking hawken in 54........this black powder stuff is addicting.......and hunting with a flinter......man......makes me feel diffrent.......carrying a possibles bag....pan charger.....feel like a pioneer or mountain man!.....love it.......before long ill probably give up centerfire all together and flintlock hunt only........good luck with what you choose.......i just think you can make a kentucky long rifle alot prettier then the ones they sell.........thats just my opinon......making flintlocks from a kit isnt all that hard from everything ive read......thats just the route im planning on taking.........but the price of a good kentucky long rifle new is probably more then ill spend when i make mine.............

cayugad 06-03-2005 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

I've never gotten into BP shooting or hunting, but I'd like to start. I'm trying to find a decent flintlock longrifle from the 18th century era and need some recommendations. I've priced Dixie Gun Works, Cabela's, and Traditions so far. Can anyone recommend another manufacturer/supplier to check out?

I'd like to stick to Revolution-era rifles, but I might consider a good Hawken flintlock instead. Recommendations on those would also be much appreciated.
David Pedersolli of Italy has an excellent assortment of different flintlocks in all styles and calibers. He also has some muskets which even though they are smoothbore are still accurate out to 50 yards and further (my .62 caliber smoothbore starts to loose hunting accuracy for me at 50 yards, others I am sure can do better).

There are custom gun makers of course but you are talking some serious money at some of them. If percussion locks are acceptable then there are other makers out there that carry some Civil War and much earlier models of rifles in larger calibers that would be good for hunting.

Also keep an eye on some of the Auction Sites. Lyman Great Plains Rifles and Lyman Trade Rifles come up for sale often as do a number of Thompson Center Hawkins and Renegades, although the flintlocks are more scarce....

Charley 06-03-2005 07:59 PM

Lyman's Great Plains Rifle is probably the most authentic rifle for the price. They are good shooters as well.

cayugad 06-03-2005 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Charley

Lyman's Great Plains Rifle is probably the most authentic rifle for the price. They are good shooters as well.
For a good price on a new Lyman rifle check D&R Sports. They have some excellent prices. I got my .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle there. I've been real happy with that rifle.

Slamfire 06-04-2005 12:28 AM

Don't pass up the Jager style without givin' it some thought.

MikeE51848 06-04-2005 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

How much are you willing to spend?

Aught Six 06-06-2005 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the great advice, fellows. You've given me a few things more to consider as I narrow my choices. I really appreciate it.

How much are you willing to spend?
I need to keep the rifle below $400 this year. The Traditions Kentucky Rifle falls well below that price, but I'm really not too impressed with it. It just seems cheap. I haven't had a chance to handle a Cabela's model yet, but that might be my pick in order to stay within budget. D&R Sports has great prices on other models like the Plains Rifles, though. The T/C Hawken is a great gun for the money, though, and I've found a few dealers selling them under $400. If I do get a Hawken, it might just be that one.

Now that I'm sitting here going over names, I realize I have a whole lot more looking around to do. Thanks again for everyone's help!

cayugad 06-06-2005 07:46 AM

Aught Six you should really check the auction sites if you want to save some money. I picked up a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins Flintlock for under $200.00 that when I inspected it I could not tell if it had ever been fired. What a beautiful rifles.

I was shooting it yesterday. It fired 33 shots on one edege of a flint and the accuracy as always was outstanding. This one for some reason really likes a real stout load or a real light one but nothing in between. This rifle's hunting load turns out it is 90 grains of Goex 3f and a patched roundball. That round has some real zip to it down range. I can target plink with just 45-50 grains of Goex 3f and the accuracy is so good I could use to small game hunting if I wanted to...

The nice thing about Thompson Center is the warranty. It is sure hard to beat. And when your rifle is broke, there is nothing more frustrating then having someone tell you it will take a month to get a simple screw too you.

My flintlock Trade Rifle in .54 caliber is a great sparker and shooter although it is a little harder on the flints. I average about 23 shots per side. The sparking is great through. The bigger caliber is a real plus for hunting.

BAH 06-06-2005 12:00 PM

There is a dealer in NY Mountain Muzzleloaders they are great people and I'm sure they can help you with a reasonable rifle. I got mine through them e-mail at [email protected] or 518-239-8191