Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview >

Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview

Old 05-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview

http://www.chuckhawks.com/william_ball.htm
Old 05-07-2005, 10:22 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview

I take that statement back. I am trying to change my ways.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

BC, I have been checking this post all day, but was leaving it
for you. I wanted you to be first. Ha! you were.
Damm! You chickened out on me.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Balls are a smokeless icon in some minds... not mine.... not until I find out what they did for the blackpowder users like me. If all they did prior to smokeless was produce fancy MLs, that's not of interest of me. As far as I'm concerned, they've contributed havoc on the ML sport rules & regulations... wrecking havoc by creating a bigger split on traditionalists vs modern muzzleloading entusiasts. On top of all that, their contributions will eventually/may already have created ML policy action by individual states that mandates larger restrictions using either smokeless or regular blackpowder.

I have no problems with almost any technology advances in our society... but I do have a probklem with people trying to industrialize a traditionalist game of hunting that dates back over two centuries ago into hunting game with 2005 hi-tech MLs having identical speeds & energy already found on cartridge rifles.

We already had single-shot rifles & shotguns. There was no need/want to introduce a third party with a manufactured product idea stolen from traditionalists & modern MLers.

I'm done early on this thread. I said my piece - how I feel. I'll avoid the pros & cons of putting the Balls on a higher ML pedestal until I find out their contributions to the blackpowder-only sidelocks/inlines non-smokeless industry.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Triple 7 - this is almost the identical discussion that has occurred several times before the Colorado Wildlife Commission when the subject of the "definition of a legal muzzleloading rifle" came up. They allow us to hunt during what is traditionally the peak of the elk rut - and only because the weapon technology limits our ability to take these wonderful animals when they are most vulnerable to calling. The other group that gets to hunt during this period is, of course, the archers. So after much heated discussion, they will allow us to use in-line guns (mainly because they are considered more reliable); but no smokeless powder, scopes, electronic sights, or sabot/pellet loads. During the general rifle season, however, the sky is the limit on the various techno advances with these weapons. And, interestingly, they allow rifle hunting for antelope during the peak of the rut - providing a special muzzleloading season almost a month later when they are done with the breeding distractions and more difficult to approach.

I'm with you - somewhere there has to be a line . . . . . .
Old 05-08-2005, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

Wow, Triple, and people think I have too much time on my hands. There was so much drama in that post, I thought I was watching a Lifetime special.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Now this is fun...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Frankly, although I have respect for Ball's weapons testing and the most respect for his service to our country I don't find smokeless muzzleloading hugely revolutionary in the least. It's not that difficult to over-build a rifle to handle a given charge of powder.

I also don't place the Ball's or anyone else for that matter on any pedestal.

Someone was bound to develop smokeless muzzleloading sooner or later so why not the Ball's?

Really, what I think is going to happen is more states will put the kabosh on smokeless powder muzzleloading (hope so).

I thought it was a pretty good interview and as a veteran, I truly appreciate William Ball's service to our country.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 PM
bigcountry

Really, what I think is going to happen is more states will put the kabosh on smokeless powder muzzleloading (hope so).
why do you hope so? I find the shooting community has a tough time keeping thier blinders on mind thier own. I am not sure why. I mean I could care less if the guy at the other farm is hunting bunny rabbits with bazookas? As long as it doesn't bother my hunting, why do I care.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really see a problem with it, I like to see advancements in the shooting industry each new idea may spark interest and create more new shooters. For example someone may not have even considered getting into shooting untill they came along a new innovation that sparked their interest towards the shooting sports.

As we all know once you start shooting it becomes and addiction and we move on and try other types of shooting. The more people intersted in the shooting sports the more power we as shooters and hunters have to keep, preserve and pass on our tradition.

So what we now have smokeless muzzle loading ( I for one like the idea), the simple fix to what ever problems you or many might have asfar as muzzle loading seasons and traditional muzzle loading hunting goes, Just classify the smokeless ML's as modern in that case if you want to use smokeless ML's you would have to hunt during the regular rifle season and the traditional muzzle loaders can still have their seperate season ( i know thats what the traditional ML hunters are mostly worried about).

Randy that was a good interview I enjoyed reading it, And being from a Military family I have the utmost respect and gratitude for Bill Balls service to our country.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloading Sniper: Bill Ball Interview

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.