Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What’s your best way to drag a deer? >

What’s your best way to drag a deer?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What’s your best way to drag a deer?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What’s your best way to drag a deer?

There is a lot of very heavy brush with some major gullys and inclines where I hunt. This can make getting a deer out of the woods a challenge. After seeing someone market a “ski rope” set up for $$ I decided to make my own.

It’s very simple. Just double up your line and use the loop end to either go around the neck or antlers. Make sure you get the forelegs in there as well. Then cut a 3’ piece of wood from a sapling, maybe 1 ½’ diameter for a pull handle. Attach both ends of the line to the wood with clove hitches. Make sure the knots attach to the handle from different sides (see pic), this stops the handle from wanting to turn. Now you are good to go.

" />
" />

You adjust the length of the line to make sure the head of the deer is off the ground so it doesn’t snag on brush, particularly if you have a buck with antlers.

" />

Using a ski tow like this give you a lot of torque to muscle the load around and over brush. When you get to an area where you just need to pull, just hold the handle behind you with both hands like you are water skiing backwards and git to it.

Last edited by hubby11; 12-05-2017 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely done, yes indeed! My style is similar, but not as well done as yours!

_
Old 12-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I used this year---no use of hands required. Works great.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...yABEgLHO_D_BwE
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use both methods above when I was younger and hunted way back along the ridges with roughly a mile drag. The deer aren't back in there now and I'm hunting on private land no more than 300 yds from my truck.

I got smart an use a deer cart now, much easier on the ole bod...
Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I used to use both methods above when I was younger and hunted way back along the ridges with roughly a mile drag. The deer aren't back in there now and I'm hunting on private land no more than 300 yds from my truck.

I got smart an use a deer cart now, much easier on the ole bod...

I second the deer cart. But I've dragged a fair few deer and bear at the end of a rope just as shown.

I suppose it won't be long now till folks are using their drones.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
The deer aren't back in there now and I'm hunting on private land no more than 300 yds from my truck.
The deer probably aren't back in there because they are where you find 'em, right?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by younggun308
The deer probably aren't back in there because they are where you find 'em, right?
Right on that account, but I believe its largely due to an older national forest with less acorns and plenty of private lands below with corn fields, beans, grass, etc.

Not to mention a new three day bear rifle season this year before the muzzle loader season, bear hound chase season before that in Sept. to boot. I have seen bear dogs chase deer, regardless what their owners say. Its in a dogs DNA to chase deer. So if I was a deer I would get out of there too...
Old 03-04-2018, 02:49 AM
Spike

Hi everyone. I watch and read something about drones used in deer scouting. What do you think about it? Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

i usually only hand drag for a short ways but i do basically the same thing .. i carry a 1/2" rope about 30" long w/ an eye tied on ea. end .. but a bush hog doubles as a very nice deer cart
Old 03-05-2018, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chiapa33
Hi everyone. I watch and read something about drones used in deer scouting. What do you think about it? Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?
I don't have a problem with scouting that way as long as it stays just scouting! I'd say its not gonna be easy keeping the drone above ground in a wooded forest tho....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.