Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Drilling A Stock Bolt Hole - HERE'S HOW >

Drilling A Stock Bolt Hole - HERE'S HOW

Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Drilling A Stock Bolt Hole - HERE'S HOW

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Drilling A Stock Bolt Hole - HERE'S HOW

The though of drilling a bolt hole through a stock blank was a real butt clencher for me.

It seemed so much could go wrong. I didn't want to mess up a fine piece of Walnut. An Internet search didn't help much - other than some advice to pay to have it done by a pro. I hate doing that and don't even know where there might be a "pro" who could do it.

After mulling it over with a nice single malt Scotch I came up with my own method. It worked out so well I thought it would be worthwhile to post for others in need.

Here's what I did - in fifteen pictures.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Nice tutorial, I used 2 separate pieces of wood, used a router to do half-round of the hole length-wise and then laminate the 2 pieces together again. Dont even see the seam but your idea saves 2 days in the clamps to dry the glue.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Wildeboer, I was aware of the router method and would have gone that way if I were joining two pieces of wood to make the stock. But the thought of cutting that nice chunk of Walnut down the center and then gluing it back together again gave me chills.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yeah Wildeboer, I was aware of the router method and would have gone that way if I were joining two pieces of wood to make the stock. But the thought of cutting that nice chunk of Walnut down the center and then gluing it back together again gave me chills.
I once glued 3 pieces together, a lighter piece in the middle. Looked like a sandwich, 2 days later and a friend begged it of me for his rifle(Air Arms airrifle)