Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

He should just buy a Savage and be done with all the mods. Shoot BH in it. Chap

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Sabotloader has done an excellent job of explaining and drawing.

I have actually gone to the next step beyond his Modifications, I believe you should start with his mods and then let it evolve from there. I hunt/shoot even in extreme cold temps. It was -4F here one day during our late ML season. I had no fear that BH209 would light in my T-Bolt. The gun was being carried by a 16 yr old family friend that got so excited when we put deer right past him several time less than 10 yards, he couldn't move. Life and excitement is great :-)

My plugs are done/modified to ignite BH209 in my customized Knight T-Bolt and even harder to light powders in My Rolling Block ML.

I look forward to seeing Lehigh Dave's design, It will probably fit my T-Bolt.

Make lots of noise :-)
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Gleason,

Who are you suggesting, should Buy a ML10II and be done, I have built 4 smokeless ML guns to date and supply vents for 5 ML10IIs (all in the Family) and a ML10 that I helped build from parts. as you know the old 10 takes a different style replaceable vent.

Being this is a Black Powder forum, I have reframed from talking about the origonal Black powder substitutes that I use in all my user built guns.

I just can't go out and buy something I have the time to build.

Ken
Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

Just for myself... I am not interested in a Savage - in fact it is way down the list - to heavy - to bulky and other than the smokeless thing - I can do everything a Savage will do with a what i have....
Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
gleason.chapman

Just for myself... I am not interested in a Savage - in fact it is way down the list - to heavy - to bulky and other than the smokeless thing - I can do everything a Savage will do with a what i have....
Ahmen! I totally agree with you Sabotloader, You Da Man
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of weeks ago or so, Gm54-120 wrote

Default CVA breach plug idea

I dont know how well this would work and cleaning would require removing the vent liner but....

Im not sure if it would have any advantages but im curious. If it had a slight crush fit it sounds like a good idea...maybe

Add the vent liner a bit below flush but dont drill the flash hole all the way to the primer. Leave a short OEM flash channel size (or close) for a "shoulder" for the primer.

This one is more interesting to me since i have a Accura 45.

I want to try is a mid or deeper depth vent liner plug without head spacing (at first) but with roughly a .500 vent liner pocket if there is enough metal. The reason is my Elite 45 really likes this setup with the Lehigh conversion.

Im just not sure if there is enough metal on the CVA plug for the larger pocket.

Ignition seems more intense for lack of a better term with the bigger vent liner pocket but only noticeably in the 45cal. I have been watching for signs of barrel erosion too because i was concerned and it seems ok.

Scott
A while back, and quite by accident, it was learned that a grade 8 5/8" x 18 bolt will thread right into the breech of a CVA. The breech plug in the center is the result of the musing, and the knowledge that was stumbled upon; a 5/8 x 18 bolt is the same thread as a CVA breech plug.

The center breech plug was milled using a grade 8 bolt as stock. The big hole didn't end up at 0.5". It is 0.469", and that doesn't leave much in the way of a rim. The #21 drill wasn't run all the way to the primer pocket. The flash channel is 1/8" at the primer pocket, and then it becomes #21 diameter, so threads could be cut for a vent liner. The primer pocket was made so that head space is 0.019" less than factory.

Naturally, after milling the plug, one must try it out. Seven shots were fired off the stick, and that was enough as the temperature today was 90*, up there in the hills. Head space was nearly too tight, as a couple of times the gun had to be 'slammed' into battery. One of the things i found interesting is head space can be readily adjusted looser, by moving the barrel end of the breech plug on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, because the rim is so thin.

Returning home:

Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just read this entire thread and now I'm even more insane. Sometimes I realize it is a blessing that I don't have a lot of nice tools.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Using my nice tools helps me stay sane. The easiest way for me to escape trials and tribulations of real everyday life, is to open, and walk through the door, between the garage and the house. Writing this reminds me how blessed it is, to have a work shop loaded with nice tools.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I found this in the archives and brought it back as it has a wealth of information.

JW
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gleason.chapman
He should just buy a Savage and be done with all the mods. Shoot BH in it. Chap
Actually i read a post where Wakeman is recommending people mod their BP to run a 5/32" flash channel to help eliminate no fires.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any breechplug that doesn't blow out of the barrel back into your face is a good breechplug in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.