Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
BreechPlug: try to have and open mind, what twists your crank might not twist some one else, but that is OK.

Your Accura's are most certainly single shot Rifles!!! How can you not say they are rifles, are the barrels smooth bored? They might not be cnterfire rifles but they most certainly are rifles.

I personaly would not hesitate to shot a deer at 300 with my 50 cal Muzzle Loader that I built on a Rolling Block frame. I routinely shot to 335Yards at the farm for fun.

But this has nothing to do with The Breech Plug.
Your right, the ML is a Rifle, and it will get out there, but it's still a ML, it will never have the long range velocities as a rifle and it will never have a clip with more than one shot, and have you ever had to worry if your Rifle was going to go off in the Pouring Rain or Sub Zero Temps? And I know this has nothing to do with the BP, I was just quoteing Sabotloader as to why I did'nt want to buy a APEX with the better BP as the ACCURA's.
And I have nothing against anyone who uses a Rifle, I just prefer the 1 shot, and yes you get 1 shot with a Rifle but you also get another if needed to back you up fast, you dont get that with a ML.
Plus if I Rifle Hunted I would'nt be on this Forum, with them you just load and shoot, where's the fun in that or how much more can you learn. I like MLing because you can never learn everything or know too much.
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It appears you have become a little worried about the breech plug in your Accura. Here is some news that may reduce some of your concern.

This morning when i woke up it was -9* here. At dawn it was -12* here. When i left to go hunting it was -8* here. Since i wasn't in a big hurry to get out of the truck, i took a little detour to a piece of ground where i shoot at paper, that is more or less on the way to where i wanted to hunt.

My Accura spent the night in the truck, and was last fired and loaded 3 days ago. I set up the target and moved the truck to the same approximate spot i fired a shot from 3 days ago, when it wasn't so cold, which was about 99 yard from the target. Today it was -14* up there. When i pulled the trigger on the Accura, it fired with Authority, even though it was dirty and cold. The paper is here:

One bullet hole is from this morning, and the other is from 3 days ago in the morning before i went hunting. The load was 105g BH209, 300g 44 caliber xtp, Harvester smooth sabot, and a Winchester W209 shot shell primer.

The breech plug of the Accura works you see.
I was never worried about the BP's in My ACCURA's, as I stated somwhere above the Blowback was'nt all that much to worry about. And like you somewhere else I mentioned in another Topic that I have had My ACCURA in the Warm House, then to the COLD TRUCK, to the warmed up truck, back into the Single Didgets Cold, back to the cold Truck and them warmed up truck to the warm house again and this all over again for up to days at a time. And when I pulled the trigger it went off. I have never had a problem with my ACCURA's.
I was just thinking of a newer ACCURA just for a Improved BP design, do I really need this, probably not, am I totally happy now with my ACCURA's, yes. But the bug has hit and I will get a newer ACCURA just to say I got one.
Thank's and Enjoy your ACCURA!
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
............................Yes, I have modified several plugs now. Lemoyne has done the same thing to some other plugs also................................

I have modified Omega/Encore plugs - Knight DISC plugs and about to modify a Knight Vision plug..................................

So I have opened the flash channel larger + I have installed a Lehigh vent liner. The vent liner in itself helps deflect blow back away from the 'flash hole' just by design................................

........................... of what I am doing. Lemoyne is doing about the same thing..

..............................modified Omega plug... The channel has been opened to 5/32nds.......................

This morning i ordered some vent liner from Lehigh. I plan to use them to improve the Accura breech plug. When i finish, i plan for the modified Accura breech plug to look more like the Omega breech plug.

I have studied up on this a bit, and have one question. You have a 5/32" fire channel in the modified breech plug. You mention how you drilled all the way through the breech plugs to establish the hole for the 10-32 tap. It seems to me that the 5/32" hole is a bit smallish for the tap. I was wondering if it would be best for me to use a #21 drill, instead of the 5/32" drill, or did you find it was just fine to tap the 5/32" hole? If not, i would end up with a slightly larger than 5/32" fire channel, and am wondering if that would be a bad thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

It seems to me that the 5/32" hole is a bit smallish for the tap.
It is.. what I wanted to suggest is that he 5/32nds is what I think might be the optimal minimum size..

I was wondering if it would be best for me to use a #21 drill, instead of the 5/32" drill,
#21 is the bit to use if you are doing it at home...

i would end up with a slightly larger than 5/32" fire channel, and am wondering if that would be a bad thing.
It is not a bad thing - but there is a size that may be to large and compromise the strength of your BP... I have never seen a reall Accura plug so I do not knowwhat that size might be.

I will post these instructions as written by (Lemoyne) Lee. These were written using a dril press to accomplish the work. I am/was using a machine shop lathe to accomplish the work. I have now also decided to complete them on a drill press - I have done enough on the lathe to feel confident in doing on a drill press now.

if you do this project do not turn the drill any faster than 180 RPM and let it feed at its own speed and use a good drill, carbide if you have it.
I mounted the BP in the milling table vise on my drill press and using a #1 drill I line the hole in the BP up with the drill so it was on dead center.
I then took out the #1 drill and mounted a #8 drill and drilled out the touch hole, then I took that out and stepped up to a # 16 drill then stepped up to a # 21 drill. I ran the drill all the way through the seat for the 209, this has proved to have a major effect on reducing the carbon build up under the 209 seat. This is the right size for tapping a 10-32 thread.
then I took a 25/64 drill and inset the end of the BP the distance of 4 threads.
I then mounted the tap in the drill press and took the top belt of the press off; lowered the tap to the breach plug and put about ten pounds of pressure on the handle of the spindle on the drill press turned the top pulley of the drill press by hand until I had 9 complete threads since the Lehigh V liner has 7 and a half threads this is just right.
Hope this helps....
Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
........................................Hope this helps....

You dang betcha it helps. Thank you for the informational information! I can't think of anything else i would need to know to start this project. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Breechplug,

I started hunting with a muzzleloader in 1978, it was a .45 H&A Underhammer, I still have the action and it is now a .58. I rebarreled it myself. in 98

No I have never had to worry about my Guns going Bang even in the pouring rain, I used all kinds of nipple protectors. Rubber gloves, finger cots. I have hunted in the pouring rain, did so this year with the Rolling Block. Had electrical tape on the muzzle when I shot the following deer.

I have hunted with my own cast Balls and Boolitze in ML since 78 also. I now cast a very efficient 333 gr LFN that shoots well in the Harvester Black short sabot. ( I buy Sabots by the case from graf and sons, I have a case and a half of them in the basement closet right now, Doesn't everybody! )

I haven't carried any of my large selection of Center fires or scope sighted customized pump 12 gauges hunting since 98, took a Antelope in WY with my 58 Underhammer at over 150 yards with a RB. I have a 500 grain Boolit mold comming for my BMGs so I may do some long range hunting with one of them at the farm this coming year. Also looking at a 840 gr mold in .514 also. We do have a 1000 yard range at the farm and shooting is a recreation for us. It is 1000 yards from the Power pole left side of photo to the center of the tree line in the distant field. John Eggleston, ( editor of "Very High Power" the Quarterly rag of the 50BMG shooters ass.) even Laser Ranged it when we were talking about having a 1000 yard practice match at the farm. we have gongs in the tree line, targets from 500 to 1000.

There is a gong in the tree line in this photo, it is 183 yards from the window. We have a target setup just before the snow along the right side of the tree line that is at 225 yards. the far bank of the frozen pond is 335 Yards.

This is a photo of my 200 yard range behind my house, I have 2 benches here this is my close bench the other is 50 yards farther back, this is 103 yards, there is a down tree behind the freezer full of sand that is 150 yards from this bench. The tree is bloking the veiw, the second freezer is just above the brown one showing

I drifted to inlines in 2003, and to Smokeless in 2008.

I built my own Smokeless gun including the breech plug last winter (2008) and Killed three deer with it this last season (2009) including this 8 Pt in the wet rainy snow. It was the last weekend of regular season do you remember the rain.

This is a Nice Doe I took, it was snowing hard when I harvested it, the White specs are snow flakes in the air.

These are less than perfect Photos from my Phone.

Last edited by Screwbolts; 01-07-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Breechplug,

I started hunting with a muzzleloader in 1978, it was a .45 H&A Underhammer, I still have the action and it is now a .58. I rebarreled it myself. in 98

No I have never had to worry about my Guns going Bang even in the pouring rain, I used all kinds of nipple protectors. I have hunted in the pouring rain, did so this year with the Rolling Block.

I have hunted with my own cast Balls and Boolitze in ML since 78 also. I now cast a very efficient 333 gr LFN that shoots well.

I haven't carried any of my large selection of Center fires hunting since 98, took a Antelope in WY with my 58 Underhammer at over 150 yards with a RB.

I drifted to inlines in 2003, and to Smokeless in 2008.

I built my own Smokeless gun and Killed three deer with this last season including this 8 Pt in the wet rainy snow. It was the last weekend of regular season do you remember the rain.

This is a Nice Doe I took, it was snowing hard when I harvested it, the White specs are snow flakes in the air.

These are less than perfect Photos from my Phone.
Very Nice and I applaud you, keep up the excellant work!
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone drilled out the flame channel with a drill motor? I'm asking because I don't have a drill press. What do you think, BAD idea to even attempt it?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

tjj

It certainly could be done... but you could get mis-aligned also...

But you have a good thought also - you could just open the flash channel and not even mess with installing a ventliner until your flash hole gets worn enough to warrant it...

Breechplug hope you see this... that might be the easy answer for you right now also....
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The T/C speed breech is the best plug i ever used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.