Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best place to shoot an elk?? >

Best place to shoot an elk??

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Best place to shoot an elk??

Old 05-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best place to shoot an elk??

The best place to shoot an elk is right next to the road.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM

It was a kill. It was 218 yards. My buddy used my rifle and it was not a perfect shot but did the trick. It was his first one with a ML or anything and it was legal. Thats about it but good more than good enough. I was a bit more stubborn staying after a 160-170 class buck the whole time. Which is hard to find in 36 in NM, though the one I found even had a sticker point and may have been even better but finding him close enough was another situation. Elk hunters kept him spooked. Though as an elk hunter you have to cover as much ground as you can. So it was my choice.

But like I said I was happy that it went bang even though when we took the tape off the top of the Encore and opened it, there was quite a bit of rust inside already..... Just the downfall of hunting regardless the weather.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Buckshot - you got it wrong[:@]. You have to DROP it on the upkill side of the road so you can back up to the little bank and drag it down hill into your p/u bed. The reason I feel compelled to make the distinction is that the wife did just as you said, she shot the bull next to the road, but it proceeded to run2 1/2 miles up the mtn before dropping [:'(].
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM

as to the original hunter #1, hunter#2, question ...#2 might a local legend, but they are few and far between for a reason, most people cant do what they do with success. he's to be admired but not copied. #2 is a fine example to follow, but not the only one. I have seen elk run miles w/ both lungs taken out. They do not go any where when the shoulders are broken down. Either shot and the heart shot also, are fine choices. I go for a rear edge of the shoulder, any slight miss your still in a vital zone.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:38 PM

wow the storys just get better! i have seen elk run for miles with both lungs taken out! i just wonder what u shot a .223 with full metal jackets?

i was born at night, just not last night!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Yeah, they do. Most animals die from a lung shot the first time they let their breath out after being shot often when they land after jumping something, just over a fence, just over a log, or at the bottom of a wash and just across the bottom. if you pay attention(and you obviously dont) they frequently pile up at a spot where they land. case and point - I shot a 6x6 in the beartooths at @35yds with a 270 and the biggest bullets offered. took out both lungs he went straight down hill a couple miles and he piled up when he jumped off a little ledge about 4ft high.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's where you shoot at an elk regardless of what you are useing as a firearm. (SEE THE RED DOTS) Of course archery equipment would be different.

If you got the shoulder shot then shoot the shoulder. If you can shoot it behind the shoulder shoot it behind the shoulder. If you got a frontal shot like the one in back then take out the shoulder and heart. If you got a quartering away shot like the one in velvet then shoot through the liver, lungs and out near the offside shoulder.

All of these are good shots with a decent cartridge and the proper bullet.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I allso have seen bulls run very very far with perfect shots to lungs.I shoot for the elbow on the front leg.If you hit the bone he will fall.fi you miss the bone you will lung shoot it.

Neck shots are only good a close range.After about 100 yards it is way to small of a target.The neck allso moves ALL the time.So this more of a reasion why not to neck shoot.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

bigbulls
Looks very good to me.I like the top 3 shots the best. Ibeleave all 3 would not have to be tracked.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 PM

i don't know about tracking, but if i was to hunt with nvmike i better get my knee high boots on!because it's getting deep in here!

Quick Reply: Best place to shoot an elk??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.