Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Public land Bruiser, Pix

Old 05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public land Bruiser, Pix

Well I finally harvested my big black bear I had been after for 3 years. This ole feller and I had a couple close spot and stalk encounters in the past while hunting him. It all came together on April 30th at about 5 p.m. My brother his wife and I were all bear hunting and shooting video. We hunt public land high mountain glades and spot and stock bears with both rifles and bow. We were rifle hunting on this day. We set up across canyons and glass glades, then make stocks using the wind on the bears when we locate them feeding. My brother actually had a shot on this same bear last spring but held off, because he wanted me to get him, since I had introduced him to this spot and was after this specific bear.

After glassing/videoing this big fella along with 5 cow elk and 2 whitetails on 50 yards apart at about 4:00 pm, my brother and his wife split off from me. I went after him and they went to watch another glade I had seen a nice big color phased boar feeding in two nights earlier that I passed on since I was after this big black tank. I slipped across the canyon about 3/4 of a mile and stayed in the timber. The thermals were working perfect, blowing down hill in the evening. I first checked one of two glades for the big black, he wasn't in that glade feeding, I sat for 15 minutes to let the sweat die down then I slipped in the timber over to the next glade we had just videoed him in 30-40 minutes earlier. I was working along really slow when I picked up this big ole black back. It was him feeding on grass in an alpine patch of timber. I snuck up to 40 yards as he mostly had his head down, the wind was perfect, (wish now I would have packed my bow like I have so many other times in this same area), I knelt down and took a nice broadside lung shot. I hit him right behind the front shoulder. The big fella didnt even act like I hit him, he whirled around and ran straight up the hill. He turned at 70 yards and faced me. I put another 165 grain, 7mm shot right under throat, It exited his flank. He humped up and ran in the timber. I then heard thrashing. I thought he was kicking around and dieing. I walked up to the timber and snuck in looking for him when I heard more sticks breaking violently. To my suprise this tough buggar was up a tree almost 25 feet. Not to mention in a big 4 foot on the base Red Fir tree that had a split in it 12-15 feet up. He was positioned on one of the splits. I slipped up under him and took the final kill shot, I didnt want him to suffer or climb any higher; only to have him fall right in the wedge of the split tree. So here I am with a 300+lb springer wedged solid in this tree split about 17 or 18 feet up. It was unreal, I couldn't believe it. I gave him 5-10 minutes. Just to be sure he was done and then I climbed the little cedar tree right next to him and then jumped over onto him. I got myself wedged above him in between those two fir splits and lifted him by his hind end as hard as I could. After about 5 heaves I dumped him out on the ground below. Wow did he make a thud when he hit the ground! I shimmied down the cedar and then grabbed on to this magnificant bears head. I was just awestruck at his girth and over all mass. After this I prayed; thanking God for such a majestic animal. I grabbed onto the big feller and couldn't move him except for straight down hill, and it was steep! He almost took me with him. I got him down to a nice spot, layed him out, took some photos of him and went to get my brother and his wife. He and his wife had heard the shots and were on the way over with the video camera. We took some nice pictures, had a great time vidoeing the after the harvest. Then the work began. We were 5 miles in from our rig and over 2 from our quad. We ended up cutting a trail into the big boy getting our quad pretty close. We got home at 3 am. It was just an awesome hunting evening. My brother Rob was a great help. I mean I couldn't have drug him out that night alone without quartering him out. Robs wife couldn't believe the size of this bear, That was her first spot and stalk bear hunting experience.

The next day we caped him out and weighed him. He field dressed exactly 300 lbs. So he was a 340-350 lb April 30th bear. Pretty decent for a mountain bear. Hes a public land bruiser forsure. I had him aged at 12-15 years old by my local hide and fur company man. His teeth were all wore to his gums, flat. He measures 6'-10" from nose to tail and thats NOT stretched out. Just lying there caped. He had a 32 inch neck.

I have a lot of respect for this ole fella, hes evaded me for 3 years spot and stalking him at least once each season. He is in my eyes just a magnificant reflection of the greatness of creation. What an animal. I am very happy and thankful to have been blessed with this harvest. His meat will make a ton of sausage for my family. He smelled very clean and no stink to him at all! With one bear tag left, I look forward to hunting a big blonde bear that lives in there as well.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public land Bruiser, Pix

Rob and I

Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a dandy for sure, great story and good job.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

He's a nice one! Great pictures! Way to go.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM

Congrats...what a great story as well.
I hope to post my story soon.

Did your bear have much fat on him?
My spring bear had more fat than any fall bear I have ever seen. We have had a few mild winters, but 3-4 inches of back fat in the spring seems like a lot to me.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys,

Billy, he did have some back fat but only about 1 inch max. We too have had some easy winters, especially this one. Were are you located bill? I am in Northern Idaho. I am looking forward to seeing your stories and photos as well.

Troy
Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bear, a real beauty!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Shed33
I live near Olympia, Washington.

I spoke to a Fish & Game bio who told me that much fat was very unusual, but couldn't give me a good reason as to why he had so much.

Again, Congrats!
Old 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bear thanks for the pics
Old 05-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

great trophy and story

Quick Reply: Public land Bruiser, Pix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.