Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first time cow elk hunt

Old 05-31-2005, 02:15 PM

Default RE: first time cow elk hunt

Try Milligan Brand Outfitters in Chama, NM. Its not cheap but you will, unless you're very unlucky, see a very large number of elk at very reasonable distances. Do the late season hunt in January. I had a wonderful time out there and killed a very big animal on my second day.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Killer243
HIO I am in MONTANA helena. I am NOT an guid but just a hunter. You cant do anything this year but next if you put in and draw a tag in Montan I would be happy to take you hunting. You could get a genaral tag then send in for a cow tag. With the genaral tag you can kill a bull in most units. The cow tag would be for one main unit.I know this sounds unnormal but I would be glade to let you hunt out of my camp. I have horses pack/ride Killing a cow would be very eazy with a rifle.It may be a long horses ride but a very very good chance of a kill.So far no one has gone home with out some chances to shoot or elk meat. I my self have killed 7 elk in 6 years. the wife has killed 4 out of 6. Most guys that come here have killed bulls or hade many chances,with the bull not quite big enough.
If you did want to talk about this give me a PM or email. THER IS NO COST OUTHER THAN YOUR FOOD TAG OR GASS.The main reasion we should talk about it 1st is some people do not get along.I hunt with people as my friends not as clients.
You and/or famly could come out here for vacation if you like .Some time that is good to see the land ,go hike,see the elkand so on.I would be glade to show you/them around most any time,
Old 05-31-2005, 03:08 PM

Killer I would check out the Jicarilla Indian reservation like dperry said. www.jicarillhunt.com/. I drew a bull tag this year for the reservation. They have five 3-day hunts starting on Dec 9th. Each hunt has 25 permits. The tag is 600.00 plus the guide fee of maybe $200.00 a day. You do not have to buy a hunting license because it is a Indian reservation. The deadline for getting your application in is June 14th. You can print the application off and send it in with a certified check. I'm flying out and my flight was $230.00 round-trip. It would be a 30 hour drive from Pa. most likely. I know you will see plenty of game, including alot of nice bulls.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I think Kentucky has a huntable elk herd.
it does. you have to enter a draw out of who knows how many people for either a cow or bull hunt. if you're out of state you then have to pay $300 to hunt them on top of a $115 nonresident license. i think i'm going to enter the drawing next year. i don't have the money now. oh and it's $10 to enter.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Killer, great to see young guys posting. Colorado sells cow elk tags for $250 over the counter in most units. This is a hunt that with a little research you could easily do yourself (with father of course) and not have to hire a guide. I don't suggest that you and your father just trot off into the mountains if your not experienced, but depending on your skills this could be a very cheap and rewarding hunt. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killer243

the main reason is i am 15 and i could afford a cow elk hunt but not a bull elk hunt and i want to pay for my whole hunt instead of making dad and 3,000-5,000 is just to much for me.
i'm in the same boat except i'm 16. i was going to put in for the kentucky elk raffle but i wasn't sure i would have the money. i'm going to next year though one way or another.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:31 PM
Spike

Ray Milligan is a snake oil salesman...we went Sept 2022 and when we called Ray in 2021 and asked what was the best week...he gave us the 2nd week of September....when we got there ALL of his guides said they do not do very well the 2nd week and that Ray was just "trying to sell hunts." Ray is ALWAYS drunk walking through camp while bragging about how wealthy he is which is very annoying for the hunters to hear over and over. He said he has 100,000 acres to hunt and of the 4 spots we hunted 3 of them were maybe 50-80 acre parcels with rancher fences dividing them. One of the neighboring ranchers actually drove his 4x4 50 yards from me while I was on an evening hunt sitting by a water hole..and did the same thing to another hunter. I texted my guide and he saw this happen through his binoculars and told me to get up and move to where another hunter was (mainly cause the parcel was so small there was not alot of areas for us to spread out.) Ray will falsify his success/opportunity rate and many hunters in camp witnessed him writing on his dry erase board that a hunter got a 4x3 elk when what he killed was a 1x1 spike. He does this so when other hunters come to camp they think there is high success when there is not. This unethical outfitter is only out for your money and could care less about how disgusting the camp is (flies all over the food, spiders and other bugs in the showers, filthy bedding. I feel bad for his staff as they ALL talk poorly about Ray when he is not around but because there are not a lot of jobs in Chama.....they are nice to his face. i would 100% save your money and not hunt with this lying outfitter