Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top) >

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Old 04-07-2005, 02:49 AM

Default RE: REFERENCE.... 270's & Elk, 270's & Elk.... I Think I'm Gonna Puke!

Its been stated in a number of hunting mags, by some more well known authors, that bullet selection would rank above caliber when determining the better choice for big game hunting.

However, since premium bullets are generally available on a wide range of calibers it doesn't really make for a determining factor. I think if you read enough, online and in the mags, it seems generally accepted that a bigger caliber is a better choice for big game. Not that a 270 is a bad choice, and in the hands of a lot of people it can be quite capable.

That being said, hunt with whatever makes you happy. Why anyone needs to get this worked up over the topic escapes me.

Original: Elkampmaster:

Well, since you insist that that is what you're gonna do, we'll help remind you of your pledge. If you are true to your word, then I'm guessing we won't see you over here much since this is one topic never goes away for long.
Not terribly polite. Do you take some pleasure in driving someone away from the forum? Odd that you also stated that you were moving on from the forum. In your return your content could be viewed as if you just want to pick a fight.

I miss the days when, based on the thoughtful and well reasoned content of your posts, I had you pegged for a teacher. These days I'm more inclined to think of an off-color term for a beast of burden.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elkguy, everytime you post in this waste of a topic your doing nothing but proving time and again that you are 1) uneducated 2) narrowminded, and 3) a jackass. Your attempting to brow-beat someone for allegedly ignoring the valid points of your argument, yet you have yet to logically refute any opposing points validity either. That's typical of a wannabe using logical fallacies in an attempt to berate and confuse those who do not agree with you. Your argument is built on a foundation not of logic, but of sand so you meet any attempt to refute your point of view with rude comments rather than logical evidence.

I'm sorry I can usually find at least one good thing to say about what you've said but any valid points you might have made are lost in the glare of your jackassery. Sometimes the most important thing a person can learn is that things in life are rarely as cut and dried as we would prefer them to be.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

Elkguy, everytime you post in this waste of a topic your doing nothing but proving time and again that you are 1) uneducated 2) narrowminded, and 3) a jackass. Your attempting to brow-beat someone for allegedly ignoring the valid points of your argument, yet you have yet to logically refute any opposing points validity either. That's typical of a wannabe using logical fallacies in an attempt to berate and confuse those who do not agree with you. Your argument is built on a foundation not of logic, but of sand so you meet any attempt to refute your point of view with rude comments rather than logical evidence.

I'm sorry I can usually find at least one good thing to say about what you've said but any valid points you might have made are lost in the glare of your jackassery. Sometimes the most important thing a person can learn is that things in life are rarely as cut and dried as we would prefer them to be.

Pretty hard core post. We're all on the same side. It's just a friendly discussion.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Cal,

You’re right, I went back and edited my post for Jeep4x4, I wouldn’t want him scarred or anything like that. [But he always made it so damn easy, it was hard not to…., oh well.]

Actually, I also said “….I may drop in from time to time….”, you might notice I pretty well stick to my own threads. This one has involved a bit more discussion than necessary since I was addressing a single group of folks but also have the other side as well, so that has kept me here longer (and more frequently) than I had planned but that is okay. I’m not known for quitting something halfway thru just cause it gets a bit tougher than expected.

These days I'm more inclined to think of an off-color term for a beast of burden.
Dang, you Southern California folks sure do use a lot of PC language to try to describe your animals. I kinda like Hikchick’s “get right down to the ‘nuts and bolts’ of it of it and call a spade a spade" approach myself. Picked up any additional hunting experience beyond the California pig hunt?
=================

Brutal,
Kinda a little bit like “the pot calling the kettle black” there, aren’t we?
=================

Rather,
Thanks for the "cushion post." I know what you mean but when you get right down to it I’m really not on the same side as Brutal when it comes to hardware, wolves, or the government trustworthiness. So its a bit natural for us to tango. I've been known to write some hardcore stuff myself from time to time , so I can’t deny him the same right --- don’t agree with him --- but can’t deny him the right.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

I kinda like Hikchick’s “get right down to the ‘nuts and bolts’ of it of it and call a spade a spade" approach myself.
Apparently how I state things has made an impact with some. My intent is not to hurt or offend, it's just how I do things. That being said, I will also say this......

While I took my last bull with a 7mm Remington Mag (yes, women and even some teenagers can handle the bigger guns ) I have to say that what you shoot needs to be within your range of capabilities. Do I think that someone who uses a .270 to take an elk is irresponsible? Only if they take irresponsible shots and don't educate themselves to the limitations of their weapon. It has proven to be a capable gun in capable hands.

That all being said, I believe that this thread has taken on a life of it's own!!! I fully believe that you are only as good as you make yourself. Meaning, if you don't take the time to practice and practice and practice then you won't always be prepared for what is to come. I would rather see educated hunters than ignorant ones any day. If this thread has educated you, then great. If all you see are people fighting, then do your own research and rely on the information to guide you through.

EKM.... Nice to see you coming in, even if our opinions don't always match up.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:40 PM

EKM - Bird hunting/camping trip in October. Does a 12 guage meet with your approval?

Other than that the time and money has been going into a kitchen & bath renovation. Started writing checks in November and haven't stopped yet! The granite template is being made as I type this. So I've been haunting the home improvement sites more than anything else these days. Saving a pretty penny by doing a lot of the work myself, but there are still costs which precluded anything more elaborate last year.

I've been lucky, most people on those forums participate because they enjoy sharing their knowledge and don't get worked up if someone A) asked the same question for the hundreth time or B) chooses not to take their advice.

Of course most folks here fall into that category as well, its just that they get drowned out sometimes.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Dang, you Southern California folks sure do use a lot of PC language to try to describe your animals. I kinda like Hikchick’s “get right down to the ‘nuts and bolts’ of it of it and call a spade a spade" approach myself.
EKM,

Thanks, I have always been accused of being brutally honest and rather un-PC.

I guess that I am become gentler and softer in my old age.

SA
Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: CalNewbie

Other than that the time and money has been going into a kitchen & bath renovation. Started writing checks in November and haven't stopped yet! The granite template is being made as I type this. So I've been haunting the home improvement sites more than anything else these days. Saving a pretty penny by doing a lot of the work myself, but there are still costs which precluded anything more elaborate last year.
Newbie,

You want to guess how many deer I have killed, on public land, within 2 hours of HB? Bears? Bobcats? Coyotes? Turkeys?

The only excuse you have for not going out is not wanting to go out.

SA

PS. There are like 3 or 4 Predator Calling Clubs within 40 miles of your house. Join one and go do some hunting...
Old 04-07-2005, 02:33 PM

SpyroAndes - I'll send you a PM or e-mail, perhaps you could bounce back with some info on those predator calling clubs. While most weekends have gone to the house projects these past months, that's nearing an end.

It'd be great to learn from the clubs in the time I have left before departing California (house should go on the market next month).
Old 04-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brutal,
Kinda a little bit like “the pot calling the kettle black” there, aren’t we?
No actually quite the contrary. I'm perfectly capable of destroying your "argument", I've simply learned from many hours of dealing with people such as you that attempting to logically refute and/or reason with such people is a complete waste of time.

Quick Reply: REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.