Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top) >

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Default RE: REFERENCE.... 270's & Elk, 270's & Elk.... I Think I'm Gonna Puke!

Hikchick,

I didn't know what you used for elk, but knew you spoke your mind well.
7mmRemMag 'eh, atta girl, good for you!

=================

SpyroAndes,

IMHO, sound observations on both counts.

================
Old 04-21-2005, 02:59 PM

How fun!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Wow, got "pulled up" off of page 2 or 3 and bumped back up to the top.....

Yep, It's predictably "fun" everytime it comes up!

It is interesting that the 270 owners appear to be the ones that inquire the most frequently and seem to feel they need to ask about the cartridge's suitability.

From time to time you'll see a "Is a (243, 25-06,7-08, etc) Okay For Elk?" thread, but they are far less common than folks asking about "270 For Elk?"
Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 PM

These are just the dry heaves, right. I mean you don't have anything more to say, do you? Not that you had anything substantial in the first place. [X(]
Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Doubtfire,

I may well have more to say. It all kind of depends.
Have patience, all in the course of time.

Some folks understand and side with the idea of "30-06 power and up for elk" and some don’t.
It’s okay.

Speaking of having or not having “substantive” thoughts….. this one IS one of yours, correct?

Originally By Slamfire:
I've counted the post agin the .270 and there are more than Trophy bulls killed in the entire history of the world.,
Any possibility of you providing us a lucid translation of that ah, er, ugh, “thought”? Thanks.

BTW, nice signature line ….. good fit, quite appropriate, good choice.
Oh, yes, one more thing..... Merry Xmas!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

For those with little experience in watching hundreds of animals fall to all sorts of calibers, would indeed think the 270win is a bit light on medium sized game like elk. Expanding on that note then so would the 30-06 be deemed alittle on the light side. Being they are made from the same case size. One you can load heavy bullets in and the other only reaching medium weight bullets.

But in truth the real question is can the 270win killed an elk from every possible shot angle. (NOOOOOOOO) Can any other caliber do it either?(NOOOOOOOO). I never lost and elk to a 270win and to this day have never seen and elk lost to one. Does it happen oh yeah!!!!!! The most elk that haven't been recovered that I've personally seen have been from Magnum class calibers. Before you get all pump up read on. Most people not used to or have very little experience with a magnum will jump back from it even before the hammer falls. This is real bad for wounding animals. In fairness its only from lack of shooting a bigger magnum. Or a ill made gun that kicks tremendous.

Are magnums more capable of killing a elk within a medium range of shooting oh hell yeah theres not doubting that. In a bad instant would they have a better success rate of actually killing on a bad shot,(of course they will). Does the .30 cal class of calibers have a better bullet selection YES.

I use a 300 win mag and I love it. Even though its my favorite one to take out. I have to be totally honest when it came down to it and my 300 was out for some reason I'd grab the 270win and go elk hunting. Is there a difference the way the animal goes down from one to the other. Not in that I can tell. But then again I don't take half ass shots at animals.

In my opinion a hunter that can't kill elk with a 270win in the first place. Can't shoot for ****. And that goes for any caliber. Do it right the first time.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Cherokee,

If one lacks the cajones (or simply lacks the training) to properly handle a "magnum caliber" then retreating to a 30-06 with the superior range of .308" caliber bullet selection you mentioned earlier (especially in the "heavy for caliber" end of things) is indeed a good idea.

Both the 270 and 30-06 are in the "cross-over" rifle category; however, IMHO the 30-06 provides a noticable advantage for wapati.

Like yourself, I too have a 270 available to take along; however, mine doesn't even make the trip up to elk camp, not even as a back up rifle or for use as the "camp rifle" --- there are so many more capable tools available for the job, including the ubiquitous 30-06.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 PM

EKM: If one lacks the cajones (or simply lacks the training) to properly handle a "magnum caliber"
Interesting...

When presented with a well reasoned counter-arguement, caliber selection and proficiency becomes a manhood issue. As they say on the cop shows: "It goes to motive your honor".
Old 04-23-2005, 09:18 AM

Cal,

Regarding Cherokee's "counter-argument" that you mention, I personally felt Cherokee's post and my follow up post had more in common than in contradiction.... after all we're both own and have used 270's, we both are "magnum fans" and we both agree that accurate shooting is always a plus regardless of caliber, he'd take his 270 if he was in a pinch and his 300WinMag was in-op, whereas I'd find something different (bigger) as a substitute. I didn't think my post (nor his) was an "attack" nor a "dodge".

Now back to your post.... My, we're sensitive today....
Regarding your inference/translation of some sort of "manhood motive(??)", I am somewhat at a loss....

In my experience, all too many men handle rifle recoil by simply choosing to use their strength and supposed toughness to “take it” (hence the “cajones” reference). Women on the other hand are generally more slight of frame but sharper of mind in their approach and choose to explore technique, rifle fit, and save “toughness” for last resort (hence the “training” reference). This "training and technique" approach to recoil management is my recommendation regardless of gender (or the variations of "-hood" you might infer) and is consistent with my past discussions of handling recoil. However, I also recognize the the bulk of American male shooters will likely continue to rely on the common, but IMO flawed, "cajones" method, hence the basis of my statement.

You many find it beneficial to consider dropping the second career in psycho-analysis and spend the time instead to just go out and get some serious hunting under your belt. There are few substitutes to actual hunting experience and even those substitutes tend towards the mediocre. As SpyroAndes so poignantly pointed out, there appears to have been ample hunting opportunities to hunt right in your "own backyard" had you truly wished to pursue it during your years of residence there.

BeaverJack had a quote that was insightful, "there are those who are in love with ACTUALLY going hunting and then there are those who are in love with only THE IDEA of going hunting" --- a fairly big difference in viewpoint IMHO.

HikChick told you, SpyroAndes as much as told you, and now I'll "present" you with the following suggestion:

"Go get some substantive hunting experience (preferably across different species and with different cartridges) and you'll find your posts on threads such as this one will carry much more content and credibility, regardless which side you are on."
Old 04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

"training and technique" approach to recoil management is my recommendation regardless of gender
I own & shoot several rifles. I always "got away" with poor shooting habits.

Thanks to ELKampMaster, I changed my shooting habits & technique when I started shooting a 375-Remington Ultra Mag. I have been shooting the 375-R.U.M. off-hand, & off of the bench.
IMHO In the time short (4-months) that I have been shooting the 375-R.U.M., utilizing "proper recoil management" has made me a better shooter with all of my rifles both off-hand & at the bench.

I will hunt everything this year with my 375-R.U.M. This will help me "cement a bond" with this rifle.
Black bear, Pronghorn Antelope, Whitetail, Mule deer & Elk are all on the list. If I get lucky in the drawing, I will be adding Moose to the list?

Quick Reply: REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.