Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 and grizzly

Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 AM
DM

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

Hey Rob,

I would have to disagree with you on the shot placement of that Charging Grizz. I think a forehead shot on a Grizz that is charging you from less than 20 feet is an excellent shot!
How can you think a forehead shot on a chargeing bear is a "excelent" shot????? You've clearly stated it "doesn't work"!!! "I" clearly stated that NO cal. will penetrate a bears shull with a glanceing blow, in fact i stated it more than once!! I guess you missed that part in my last two post?

I never mentioned what kind of bullet they were using in the 375,
NO you didn't tell us what bullet he was useing, so what bullet was it?????? I think you will find a 30 cal. 200 NP will "penetrate" as much or MORE than a 375 300 grain soft point, so my claim stands!! TRY it for yourself, i have!! The small diameter 30 cal. has the advantage!!

Also,

Have you ever shot anything tough like a thicker steel plate with a 375???? Try it some time, and then shoot it with a 30cal. 200 NP.. Also try a 7 mag. with a 175 NP! A bears skull isn't steel, but maybe ?? it will help you to understand what i'm talking about. The 375 may give a bigger dent, but the 30 and 7 will pot mark the steel, they will "penetrate" better. (penetration = broken bones!!)

There is no way that you could have broken BOTH of that bears shoulders from that angle, no matter what gun you were using.
NO you can't break both shoulders of a chargeing grizzly, but you CAN break it's back!!!! AND, a "dazed" bear at 20' that you have time to "shoot a couple more times" ?????????????? That's where the "poor" shooting REALLY started!!! IF you don't have good shooting skills it doesn't matter what rifle or cal. you have!!!!

Good shooting skills go by the way side when you are placed in this situatuion.
That's the most important part of all!! Your story "proves" it, as they didn't get the job done!!

And as for YOUR experience, I seriously doubt that in all your years of hunting bear that you have EVER been in this situation!
As for my experience, i'm NOT going to sit here and puff my chest out and get into a pissing match with anyone, but i will say i have went in after several wounded brown bears, and i have been involved in a brown bear charge. Like i said in my "last" post, i'm speaking from expierence.

Anyway, have a nice day and that's all i have to say about this....

Drilling Man
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

DM
Do you think you can stop a charging bear with a 44 mag at under 10 yards?

This is the reasion I say to hold your gun wait for a time to shoot it at close rang. In the mouth would be the best.

You say you do not want to get in a pissing match but yet you call me out?

Here in montana the bears are difrant than in AK. Here you can not hunt them!!!! There are not woried of people at all and will come right to you to steel your elk. I am not a grizz hunter but I do call blacks in with a hand call and bow shoot them.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM

DM,
Sounds like you know all there is to know, and have done it all as well. The gun that was used on this hunt was the same one my buddy uses on Cape Buffalo in Africa. How many of those have you killed with your 06?
That's what I thought!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many Cape Buffalo have been killed with the 30-06 and also the 303 British and 7x57 Mauser. My Uncle lived in Africa and killed everything over there species wise with the 30-06. As I said they also used the old 303 British as well. I would prefer something a little heavier but it has been done many times.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 AM

To the best of my knowledge, you are no longer allowed to pursue the Big 5 with something as small as an 06.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen bears charge and have been bluffed by a grizz,and it takes a hell of alot of nerve to stand there.

I used to pack a Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 mag for bear protection when hiking and hunting.I also had the same idea as Elk in MT.I figure you are only going to get 1 shot to stop the charge,and I would drop to a knee hold the gun to were I would have one straight shot at the on coming bear,and from 10 yds out I would unload the gun as fast as I could.

Nice thought but with a single action pistol I would HAVE only one shot by the time the bear hit me.So instead of carring the 44 I now carry a short barrel 12 ga. first two rounds are 000 buck and the next 3 are 3 in. slugs.Now it is easier to hit a charging bear with buck shot out of a 18 1/2 barreled shot gun than it is to hit one with a 7 1/2 barreled 44.

I still carry a pistol with me in bear country,a Tarus Tracker .41 mag. with the short barrel,not much for hunting but,if I ever have my rifle nocked away and I'm being chewed up by a bear I would have a 2nd defence.

I try to give bears their space but sometimes,well you just can't.
BBJ
Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 PM

I guess everyone is an expert & if someone wants to look at a grizzly coming fast to "eat your lunch" with a marginal caliber in your hands, be my guest. I killed a mountain grizzly that was coming at me & my guide at a dead run in 2001. The shot was head on at 35 yards. I used a .338 RUM that stoped the bear. I would have only been able to fire once. The .30-06 is a great allround gun. If you feel you can stop a big bear at that distance go for it. Remember, the real issue is stopping a bear not killing a bear. A .22 will kill a grizzly.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rob 1. They worked for the Government and used whatever they wanted to use. They were not sport hunters but game managment and meat providers. This was 35-40 years ago. They sometimes killed animals as damage control and studing desease in wild life. He was almost killed when a civil war broke out in some little corner of the world over there. He recovered and left there shortly after that. He loved it there but the years were catching up with him as well. He could tell us nephews stories that woul curl our hair
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

BAREBACK JACK

I allso changed to a 12 ga and use the ooo buck :}

You are tottaly right when the bear comes at you,it takes one hell of a mna to stand and shoot hand out in pistol stance.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also check out dixie slugs.com.

Quick Reply: 30-06 and grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.