Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 and grizzly

Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

you have no clue what I have been around,saw or did. Plz do not place me in your boots.
Really, so you have had a grissly trying to bite your head and shot it in the mouth with your 44? Yeah right, give me a freaken break. You act like the grisslys going to walk right up to and slowly open its mouth and then allow the time to place the muzzle of your gun in its mouth and pull the trigger. Give me a break, anyone stupid enough to follow this advice is either going to wind up dead or with their 44 shoved up their butt.

You are the same as I was
Wrong, I am no way the same as you were or are, Im not about to let a grissly try to bite me in the head and then try to shove the muzzle of the gun in its mouth, not while I still have the ability to pull the trigger. And as for my shooting prowless, Ive shot deer all the way to 166 steps with my 44, and properly loaded it will penetrate any bears head.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used the 30-06 for hunting everything in North America. I carry a Remington pump loaded with either 200 Partitions or the Barnes X bullet. Carry what you feel good carring. Many grizzly bears have been taken with the 30-06 and 270 and I would quess they will continue to be. I would feel very good carring a pump Shotgun with with the dixie slugs which are a hardened 700-750 grain slug at 1400 fps. They would put the hurt on anything on this planet.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:25 PM

I wouldnt even think about taking a pistol of ANY kind into grizz country because if you cant hit it with a rifle then you sure as hell aint gonna hit it with a pistol.

Thats why I wouldnt take anything smaller than a .308 into woods where bear are known to be.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Good day to you buckshot.I dout in PA you will ever see a grizz to worie about it :}
Old 03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

You too Elk, and on a parting note, I cant think of any professional hunter or guide who when be charged by a grissly or any other dangerous game for that matter would wait until the animal had a hold of them before they took defensive action. Peter Hathaway Capstick must have failed to mention that when he wrote Death in the Long Grass. Nope no grisslys here in pa, but Idaho has them and I go there quite often.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 PM

wow, i see my first post has really struck up some good conversation. thanks to all that gave their opinion and suggestions. i know griz are big tough animals, i hope never to run into one, i would like to get some of the guns you mentioned for protection, but like i said i only have my 30-06. with my own knowledge i agree that it is probably a little light, but that is the biggest gun i have, so it will have to do, it is better than nothing. still waiting to take a look at the 338 the guy has for sale. i got another one for you, i have a 12 ga, what if i were to get some slugs for that baby, would that be as good as the 06? just another "i wonder" question.

thanks again for the responses, i really enjoyed them.

mybigredford
Old 03-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Dixie slugs pack a 700-750 grain hardened slug at 1400 fps. There is nothing better than that anywhere as a quick stopper. You can find them by searching for DIXIE Slugs. They also have one with three .600 balls in for dense cover.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

YES the 12 is better than the 30-06 at close range. GOOD luck hope you never have to decide when or how to shoot.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 PM
DM

ELKINMTCWB

I "also" want to know if you've ever faced a chargeing brown bear??????????????? Did you try the method you described????????????????? I say NO you have not!!! Your still here, and that gave me my first clue!! :&gt))

rob 1,

Like i said in my first post, NO cal. with expanding bullets is going to penetrate a big bears skull with a glanceing hit!!!! That's a FACT!!!

YES a 375 H&H has a lot of power!!! BUT, a 375 H&H 270 grain softpoint will NOT penetrate as well as a 30 cal. 200 grain NP!! That's a fact too!!!

The story you describe mostly tells us how bad the shooting was on that day!!!!

It doesn't make diddly crap how much power you have if the bullet won't break the bear down or if the bear isn't hit properly!!! ONLY good shooting skills and a deep penetrateing expanding bullet is going to do that well!!!!

This is why i'd rather have a good 30 cal. than a BAD 375 cal. in THIS case!!!!! I think your missing that point!!! To stop a chargeing bear you need to break the bear down, NOT just have a lot of power!! You have to break both front shoulders, OR the back, OR have a well placed hit to the head!!! Blowing one shoulder and the heart (or any other internal organ) to pieces just isn't going to do it!!! They live too long with that kind of a shot!!

How do i know all of this???? Because i lived in and hunted in Alaska for 25 years and hunted big bears a LOT! I've seen enough of them shot and killed to know what i'm talking about. And yes i've shot them myself.

I'm always amazed by all the answers to questions like this one, and 99.9% of the posters have NO experience to back up what they are posting!!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 AM

DM,
First of all you have to remember that they were hunting Moose on this trip, not Grizz, and were tracking a wounded Moose! They didn't know that a Grizz was even close by.
I would have to disagree with you on the shot placement of that Charging Grizz. In the first place, I never mentioned what kind of bullet they were using in the 375, and in the second place, I think a forehead shot on a Grizz that is charging you from less than 20 feet is an excellent shot! There is no way that you could have broken BOTH of that bears shoulders from that angle, no matter what gun you were using. And I also disagree that an 06 or any rifle for that matter, would have penetrated that bears skull, no matter what bullet you had in it, at that high angle. It would have glanced off as well, but would have delivered much less energy( and yes, energy is everything if you can't get penetration ) and may have gotten them both killed. Good shooting skills go by the way side when you are placed in this situatuion. At 20 feet they probably had 2 seconds or less to either kill or turn the bear or be killed. There is NO guarantee that you are going to get a perfect shot at a charging bear.As far as not having experience with bear hunting to back up what I am posting, I am not talking about my experience, I am talking about a buddy of mine who was there and was a part of this attack. As I have stated, and you must not have read, Shooting and killing an unsuspecting bear is one thing, I agree that an 06 has plenty of power to do this, but a 2 second or less time to react on a charging Grizz is something TOTALLY different! Alot of people may have never even gotten a shot off due to fear and shock! And as for YOUR experience, I seriously doubt that in all your years of hunting bear that you have EVER been in this situation!

Quick Reply: 30-06 and grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.